2017 Squad

Wests Tigers National Youth Competition Discussion
macman

2017 Squad

Unread post by macman » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 2:05 pm

Anyone know who remains from this years squad?
Other than Papenhazen,Stone,Moses Suli,Tony Tali,Paseka

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 4:11 pm

Stone gone apparently

ALX22
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 1:13 pm

NRL Profiles
Taniela Paseka

NYC Profiles
Blake Higgins
Connelly Lemuelu
Corey Kurnoth [Spelt incorrectly on the website]
Daniel Peck
Daniel Roberts
Edward Carter
Hosea Leuea
Jai Doolan
Jake Scott
Jakob Giles
Jamin Williams
Jarrod Thompkins
Josh Bermingham
Junior Wright
Kelepi Lui
Kereti Tautaiolefua
Lenny Sauni
Liam Pakau
Moses Suli
Niall Walker
Oscar Tui
Peter Pakoti
PJ Mati-Leifi
Rhys Sciglitano
Royce Tout
Ryan Papenhuyzen
Siaosi Toti Fatafehi Nasilai
Thomas Mikaele
Toa Mata'afa
Tony Tali
Trent Pye
Last edited by ALX22 on Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Demps » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:12 am

Jakob Giles > Ray Stone

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 11:00 am

Demps wrote:Jakob Giles > Ray Stone
I'd agree with that. Stone just has that lack of size which was already apparent at NYC level. Will always have troubles with injuries.

In general some of the new boys appear quite promising. Leumuelu is much bigger than I thought he was (if his stats are actually accurate). 190cm 90kgs is quite big for an 18 year old fullback/5-8. Reminds me of a corey norman type player.

Mikaele also is listed as being bigger than he looked on the field, but then he was often standing alongside Haas at Keebra.

Hopefully Roberts can lead this team around the field well. As usual they look like they've got some decent quality all over the field.

ALX22

Unread post by ALX22 » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 1:38 pm

Congratulations to Thomas Mikaele on his selection in the QLD U20 Emerging Squad
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/12/19/q ... r_20_.html

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... n_u_2.html
Last edited by ALX22 on Mon 19 Dec, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsjonathan
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 2:11 pm

Nice to see Peck

willow
Has liked: 12 times

Unread post by willow » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:25 am

It's a very young squad but there's some good talent scattered throughout. We look strong in the front row, backrow, centres and fullback, but 9, 6 and 7 could prove to be a struggle.

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 71 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:56 am

I sent a message to my mate who is an assistant coach at the Jets about Mikaele as he used to play in the Ipswich comp

Said he was far an above the best player in his age group , a real wrecking machine

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 5:02 pm

happy tiger wrote:I sent a message to my mate who is an assistant coach at the Jets about Mikaele as he used to play in the Ipswich comp

Said he was far an above the best player in his age group , a real wrecking machine
Sure he wasn't talking about Haas? :pray:

Young props who are are not only dominant players but also captains indicate a potential star of the future. It suggests they not only have the skill, but a mindset befitting of a leader and someone who could apply himself to give them the best shot at making the step up.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 7:19 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
happy tiger wrote:I sent a message to my mate who is an assistant coach at the Jets about Mikaele as he used to play in the Ipswich comp

Young props who are are not only dominant players but also captains indicate a potential star of the future. It suggests they not only have the skill, but a mindset befitting of a leader and someone who could apply himself to give them the best shot at making the step up.
Wouldn't know where Haas is from

Mikaele comes from the Goodna side

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 7:38 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:

Goodna = Wolsten Park Mental Asylum

Did you play for them?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:11 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:

Goodna = Wolsten Park Mental Asylum

Did you play for them?
Nah wasn't good enough

Believe you Captained Coached them at the prime of your career ;)

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:31 am

Demps wrote:Jakob Giles > Ray Stone
Giles was ultra impressive last year. In a star studded pack (admitted the majority of the stars were generally injured or playing up a grade) you could argue that he was our best forward in 2016.

Stone didnt kick on from a great 2015. Injuries didnt help and he isnt a front rower. Wish him all the best but to me he's going to be another Santi.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 5:08 pm

I said earlier in the season that I rated Giles higher than I do Marsters and I still stand by that. Marsters is a highlight reel player, like Liolevave was. Involved in tries (scoring or setting up) but little else. If he can lift the other areas of his game he could be excellent.

Giles on the other hand looked like a player who gives 110%, was very sound in defence, wasn't afraid to dive on a loose ball or chase back in cover defence, and could make decent metres in attack working off his line. Like a bigger and more powerful version of Lovett. They're the sort of players you need in your pack. Able to make 30-40 tackles, make 12 odd hitups for around 100m on a regular basis, threaten the line a bit, and not make too many errors.

Of course not all juniors who can do this can step it up to the next level. As Giles takes on a more senior role this season i hope he'll be able to kick it up a notch again.
Last edited by Balmain Boy on Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 7:29 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:I said earlier in the seas that I rated Giles higher than I do Marsters and I still stand by that. Marsters is a highlight reel player, like Liolevave was. Involved in tries (scoring or setting up) but little else. If he can lift the other areas of his game he could be excellent.

Giles on the other hand looked like a player who gives 110%, was very sound in defence, wasn't afraid to dive on a loose ball or chase back in cover defence, and could make decent metres in attack working off his line. Like a bigger and more powerful version of Lovett. They're the sort of players you need in your pack. Able to make 30-40 tackles, make 12 odd hitups for around 100m on a regular basis, threaten the line a bit, and not make too many errors.

Of course not all juniors who can do this can step it up to the next level. As Giles takes on a more senior role this season i hope he'll be able to kick it up a notch again.
Unfortunately I think the club has preferred those highlight reel players to those that do the dirty work. Hopefully that will change with the new board, Egan and coaching staff.

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 7:34 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:I said earlier in the seas that I rated Giles higher than I do Marsters and I still stand by that. Marsters is a highlight reel player, like Liolevave was. Involved in tries (scoring or setting up) but little else. If he can lift the other areas of his game he could be excellent.

Yeah he is a Lovett type player but as you say has the advantage of a bit more size plus a bit of footwork too. Interested to see how he progresses next year as he could very well take KLs place in the first grade squad in 2018.

ALX22

Unread post by ALX22 » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:12 pm

*Updated Squad

Return to “National Youth Competition”