Brooks' worst performance

gallagher

Re: Brooks' worst performance

Post by gallagher » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:59 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:54 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:43 pm
Would he be close to not getting offered a contract at all by the club?
There will be clubs who'd take him, but their offers won't be very flattering.
I think there would be clubs willing to pay him bloody good money. I'm just not sure if it's time we either cut him loose or put a time limit on our offer.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:01 pm

stryker wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:27 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:24 pm
stryker wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:53 pm
Defiant wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:49 pm
I hope the big 5 keep holding out on their contracts because it at least provides motivation. There was not much of that today. Busy reading the Tele?

After we get pumped by Canberra again next Sunday we have probably knocked a good 25% of 2-5's contract offers.
That is the silver lining, their bargaining power will decrease.

We have no bargaining power. The worst part is they will still all get massive offers if we loose by 50 each week.
They wont get massive offers if they keep playing like today and the the end of 2016.
I'd say the dogs would offer big $$ with their halves and big pack.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:09 pm

What 6 and 7 have good games when the forwards are getting smashed??? Brooks did not play well but have a look at the game, every set for the whole game Penrith were a mile off side and in the ruck they slowed the play the ball down. So that just about stuffs our game with the style of football we play.

Penrith were willing to concede a million penalties just to win the ruck. The ref should have had the balls to use the sin bin. I am not sure we would have won, but what little chance was blown out of the water by the ref

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:15 pm

Once again when things don't go our way Brooks is nowhere to be seen.
Get involved Brooks whether we're go well or not, have a bloody go!!!!!!.
I praise him when he deserves it, but from day one I've struggled to see what all the fuss was about with him.

Please Tigers don't make the same mistake as you did with Benji and keep waiting for him to come good.
Let him go it's not gonna happen.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:17 pm

Earl wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:52 pm
stryker wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:42 pm
"big 5"...its a laugh. The reality is we have a "big 1" with potential for maybe one of the others to join Ted.
We have Tedesco who was outplayed by Moylan today and Moylan isn't a good player.
Moylan had room to move today, their pack paved the way. We got owned up front.

Teddy was solid, woods and Ava but everybody else was ordinary.

matchball

Post by matchball » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:22 pm

The writing is on the wall.
He won't be here next year. He commands to much cash for so little value.
4 years of diddly squat.

Put jlj in on 250k a year to let Moses run riot with the attack.
Free up that extra cash for another front rower.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:23 pm

I have to say being at the game there was a shocking 10 metres that we were getting off the ref. Multiple times in numerous sets Penrith were either getting big jump start or literally standing 2 yards in front of them. I am not sure if it was a deliberate tactic, or whether they were just getting the rub of the green because they were on top but it seemed to really swallow us.

Im not excusing the poor performance for a minute of Brooks. I have never been his biggest fan. I do not think you can have two 700K players in the halves when you have small back rowers protecting them and small outside backs. I think 700K on Brooks would be money better off strengthening the pack and the centres.

However today I thought the refs let Penrith get away with a huge amount in the first half.

matchball

Post by matchball » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:30 pm

Safe to say that even JT was a better halfback then Brooks will ever be.

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:43 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:59 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:54 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:43 pm
Would he be close to not getting offered a contract at all by the club?
There will be clubs who'd take him, but their offers won't be very flattering.
I think there would be clubs willing to pay him bloody good money. I'm just not sure if it's time we either cut him loose or put a time limit on our offer.
That's what I'd be doing if I was in charge, give him a time limit on our offer if he doesn't sign then let him walk

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm

Wonder what there winning percentage would be? I head a stat about the 6 at manly winning percentage without having coper crock and it was terrible

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:49 pm

I do think that he has some ability, but also a number of deficiencies. His defence and control was good against souths last week, but this week was a reserve grade effort at best. In saying that I could point a finger at half our side as severely deficient in terms of 1st grade standards

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:57 pm

Tigrr wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:04 pm
Brooks is simply not a first grader, he should be in a park somewhere
A bit harsh but he has carried on the Benji-itis from last season,a few good plays but lots of bad/poor/dumb plays as well.
Not much cohesion out there today,almost a rabble at stages but the scary thing IMO was that Penrith were very rusty,i thought they played poorly but still good enough to wipe us.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:21 pm

For mine Brooks has had more of enough time to be playing much better than he offers each week...I would be shopping him around to be honest as this guy is worth around 75% less than he is receiving ..very poor performances seem to be the norm these days, I would not be offering a contract .

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:27 pm

No, no, no. This had very little to do with the forward pack and actually that hasn't ever been the case with Brooks' deficiencies.

When we were on top to begin with he chose to run at Martin on the 5th when a wide pass or grubber were the better options and also kicked the ball dead on the 5th a few minutes later. To start the second half he put up a long bomb that was caught in-goal. He threw a flat nothing ball to Idris on the goal line that Jamal knocked on, a pass he's thrown I swear two dozen times over the last few years. It always ends in the same result. The kickoff out on the full... the defence today. None of it has to do with the forward pack however it all contributed to us being on the back foot.

I don't care if performances like this drive his price down. He's simply not worth whatever he's being paid. Throw it at an experienced, steady hand who has demonstrated some ability to control the tempo of a game.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Tiger4life

Post by Tiger4life » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:36 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:09 pm
What 6 and 7 have good games when the forwards are getting smashed??? Brooks did not play well but have a look at the game, every set for the whole game Penrith were a mile off side and in the ruck they slowed the play the ball down. So that just about stuffs our game with the style of football we play.

Penrith were willing to concede a million penalties just to win the ruck. The ref should have had the balls to use the sin bin. I am not sure we would have won, but what little chance was blown out of the water by the ref
Its the new tactic in rugby league, be offside so often that the referees will not have the balls to penalise you all the time. I reckon there was not one set thst the panthers werent offside. While we seem to sit there and wait. We need to be one step offside like the top teams and get of our line.

Is it just me or is the ruck slower this year?

69-05-41

Post by 69-05-41 » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:39 pm

JLJ is better and more consistent in attack and defence. Every time Brooks makes a mistake he goes MIA. Rankin has more claim to the Big 4 (or 5) than Brooks.
"It is what it is" - Sharon, 2017

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:55 pm

69-05-41 wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:39 pm
JLJ is better and more consistent in attack and defence. Every time Brooks makes a mistake he goes MIA. Rankin has more claim to the Big 4 (or 5) than Brooks.
I was asked last year what I thought of Nathan Cleary playing in the NRL,I said he is a class young player who will develope into a very good playmaker....I was asked today if I would rather have N. Cleary or Brooks...Cleary by a country mile and Brooks will be left eating his dust..and how did it end up today???
Brooks is OVERHYPED,OVERATED AND OVERPAID,I have said it many times before,being a star in the NYC doesn't make you a star in the NRL ,he has had enough time to take control of the games and dominate,he doesn't have it in my opinion...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:06 pm

I thought the slim 10 metres had a lot to do with today's result ...we looked very likely early but just didn't get there ,,,there big pack was on our playmakers as soon as they got the pill .poor refereeing played its role .a few knock on calls went against us ,but the try just before half time made the task impossible letting in 6 points with 20 seconds on the clock .sorry but I don't think Joel Edwards makes any impact ,,and Jamal is too slow to play in the centres ..we need two centres for starters imo