cam smith

diedpretty

Re: cam smith

Post by diedpretty » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:28 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tigermama wrote:
supercoach wrote:I suppose playing for QLD and the Storm, Smith doesn't taste defeat to often so he has not learnt the art of being humble.
Although what ever you think of Smith he is a champion player so I guess he can say what he wants, its not like he has to please anyone
To be honest SC, i think of him more along the lines of a smart grubby player, that hides his dirty tactics on the field very well most of the time. The team around him in Melbourne, Origin and the Australian side, make him look better then he really is imo.
The media's love affair and build up of him as a god like figure has alot to answer for.
Add hypocrite to that list as well.
Tend to agree
He has been blessed to play his whole career with the likes of Cronk and or JT outside him. Good player -absolutely but the gushing over him is beyond irritating
He doesn't even need to hide his grubby dirty tactics and whingeing - its there for all to see and most supporters believe that - its just that the media has him walking on water and saving the dead - its disgraceful the way he is built up.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:32 pm

bigsiro wrote:If the topic is about Cam Smith then like him or not, he is arguably the best hooker to ever play the game and probably the most influential player/captain the game has seen since Lockyer.

If the topic is about NSW walking off then to be quite honest it was pretty pathetic. It doesn't matter what QLD'ers did previously. It doesn't matter if they hate Cam Smith. It showed zero class.
It reflects badly on the players, the coach and the state. Daley, Gallen and the rest should hang their heads in shame. A wonderful spectacle reduced to school yard immaturity.

People on here saying that QLD aren't used to losing a game, well NSW should be used to losing a series and by now should have learned the gracious way to behave in this situation. It was embarrassing.
You need to change that to the best hooker in the modern game - I bet players like Kelly and Walsh shake their heads in disbelief at how easy hookers have it these days.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:34 pm

diedpretty wrote:
bigsiro wrote:If the topic is about Cam Smith then like him or not, he is arguably the best hooker to ever play the game and probably the most influential player/captain the game has seen since Lockyer.

If the topic is about NSW walking off then to be quite honest it was pretty pathetic. It doesn't matter what QLD'ers did previously. It doesn't matter if they hate Cam Smith. It showed zero class.
It reflects badly on the players, the coach and the state. Daley, Gallen and the rest should hang their heads in shame. A wonderful spectacle reduced to school yard immaturity.

People on here saying that QLD aren't used to losing a game, well NSW should be used to losing a series and by now should have learned the gracious way to behave in this situation. It was embarrassing.
You need to change that to the best hooker in the modern game - I bet players like Kelly and Walsh shake their heads in disbelief at how easy hookers have it these days.
Just realised Ian Walsh is no longer with us but I'm sure he would have the same sentiments.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 6:30 am

Cam Smith doesnt come close to Walters or Elias
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 2:07 pm

diedpretty - fair call and I agree. Smith is the best modern day hooker.

Walters was brilliant and I loved Benny but Smith is just on another level. He controls games, sets up attacking raids, makes mounds of tackles, kicks beautifully, plays on other team's weaknesses perfectly, and exploits holes in the rules.

I think I've said it before on here that IMO some players in sports are graceful in the way they control games. They have more time and it looks like they hardly run but rather glide around the field to be in the right place at the right time. Think players like Rivaldo/Riquelme/Pirlo, Dan Carter, James Hird.
Cam Smith is the same.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 25 May, 2017 6:40 pm

This is what SOO needs, we need to build that genuine hatred towards each other again, origin has got too PC and lost it's edge.
The media try to manufacture a rivalry but it comes across so disingenuous it makes me cringe.
Origin has lost the very thing that made it attractive and it happened the day they banned the biff, the Qld juggernaut hasn't helped it either, surely even qlders are bored watching their team win every year.
It's just not an exciting spectacle like it used to be.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 25 May, 2017 6:44 pm

TIGER wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 6:40 pm
This is what SOO needs, we need to build that genuine hatred towards each other again, origin has got too PC and lost it's edge.
The media try to manufacture a rivalry but it comes across so disingenuous it makes me cringe.
Origin has lost the very thing that made it attractive and it happened the day they banned the biff, the Qld juggernaut hasn't helped it either, surely even qlders are bored watching their team win every year.
It's just not an exciting spectacle like it used to be.
The media hype couldn't be anymore fake if it tried.

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:05 pm

I hope when NSW wins this 2017 SOO series, the NSW Capt Boyd Cordner gets and quotes Kendrick Lamar:

"Sit down Smith, ... be humble"

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 27 May, 2017 12:28 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Thu 25 May, 2017 7:05 pm
I hope when NSW wins this 2017 SOO series, the NSW Capt Boyd Cordner gets and quotes Kendrick Lamar:

Or better still Clubber Lang from Rocky III: "you better get that look off your face before I knock it off".
Smith has led a charmed life in his era of RL, 30 years ago or anytime before that he would have been beaten senseless by the opposition forward pack. Grubs got sorted out pretty quickly in those days.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 27 May, 2017 1:07 pm

He has benefited greatly from the Storms wrestling tactics, (hes missed bugger all games) defense is easy for the Storm when they create slow PTBs for the opposition more often than not, its a big factor in his body holding up and him not having suffered any real serious long term injury during his career

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sat 27 May, 2017 2:56 pm

I miss the Origin punch ups. Though I still love State of Origin, it just isn't the same as it used to be.

Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 27 May, 2017 3:25 pm

Tacky wrote:
Sat 27 May, 2017 2:56 pm
I miss the Origin punch ups. Though I still love State of Origin, it just isn't the same as it used to be.

Ben Creagh sure doesn't miss them

What a coward.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 27 May, 2017 4:47 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 27 May, 2017 12:28 pm
TigerSkins wrote:

Or better still Clubber Lang from Rocky III: "you better get that look off your face before I knock it off".
Smith has led a charmed life in his era of RL, 30 years ago or anytime before that he would have been beaten senseless by the opposition forward pack. Grubs got sorted out pretty quickly in those days.
What are you talking about? back then they were all filthy grubs. Had Smith played in that era he would have owned it more than he owns this one.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 28 May, 2017 11:52 am

stryker wrote:
Sat 27 May, 2017 4:47 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
TigerSkins wrote:

What are you talking about? back then they were all filthy grubs. Had Smith played in that era he would have owned it more than he owns this one.
Of course they were filthy grubs. But usually the harsh beatings were reserved for the perpetrators of grubby tactics, not for the genuine tough guys of the game. You think Smith wouldn't have got flogged senseless if he had chicken-winged Noel Kelly or a bloke like that? Old Cammy would of seen many a stretcher back in those days.
The only thing he would of owned back in those times would of been plenty of black eyes and shattered noses. A cat like Cam would of been a punching bag.

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 30 May, 2017 3:32 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 28 May, 2017 11:52 am
stryker wrote:
Sat 27 May, 2017 4:47 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
TigerSkins wrote:

Of course they were filthy grubs. But usually the harsh beatings were reserved for the perpetrators of grubby tactics, not for the genuine tough guys of the game. You think Smith wouldn't have got flogged senseless if he had chicken-winged Noel Kelly or a bloke like that? Old Cammy would of seen many a stretcher back in those days.
The only thing he would of owned back in those times would of been plenty of black eyes and shattered noses. A cat like Cam would of been a punching bag.
The one thing that is glaringly evident about Cam's career is his ability to evolve and adapt his play to exploit weaknesses in his opposition's game. Had he played back in the era of the knuckle dragging thug, he would have seen even more success than he has today as dumb players who only go on the field to belt others are not playing rugby league and as such he would rev them up and then carve them to shreds.
There is a difference between being a tough guy and being a fighter/thug. The tough guys earn that labelling through being able to handle anything thrown at them. They are mentally as well as physically tough. Take SAS selection for instance, most candidates could handle the punishment, but very few were capable of following directions, making decisions, solving problems and taking advantage of opportunities whilst their body was hurting. Cam strikes me as the exact personality who could have. Had he decided upon a military career I have no doubt he would have made special forces. Relating that back to your claim he would have been eaten alive back in the day...not a chance. He surely would have copped some rough stuff, black eyes, smashed noses etc... but at the end of the day he would have won his side the game whilst the fighters cryed from the sidelines. I say this as he is the epitome of a tough guy and has proven this his whole career.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 30 May, 2017 4:53 pm

Oh for Christ's sake.
He's thrived on the back of an illegally assembled squad that has succeeded through developing and perfecting a tactic that many many true rugby league people have criticised and dismissed as not in the spirit of the game.
Right time, right place for little soldier boy cam

Tigerles

Post by Tigerles » Tue 30 May, 2017 5:01 pm

Cam smith might be a decent player, but he is also one of the dirtiest, and not to forget is a puppet for our all time favourite manager, Mr two contracts himself - Isaac Moses. Smith will go down as one of the biggest crooks in the game and like Andrew johns get away with it, without punishment.
Smith now as one of the leaders of the RLPA is trying to use his influence to get the salary cap raised, who benefits most from this, that bloody agent again. Moses got smith the extra money and his house renovated now smith as he nears the end of his career is looking after moses future.
if the players strike, I would love to see the fans strike as well against them, it would be almost impossible but I would love to see a weekend were all fans boycotted a weekend of footy, no one goes to the games, no one watches fox or nine for a weekend(listen to the ABC), if the players won't more money find another job.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 30 May, 2017 5:49 pm

I don't mind Smith. Some people say he's grubby but look at all hookers. They all have a bit of niggle in them. If he played for the WTs we would all be saying he should be PM after he's finished NRL.
Some of my favioute players were nigglers. Look at Tommy R. Smith only has 10% of Tommys niggle.
I've got quite a calm nature so when I played I was a niggler, hoping some one hit me. I always had a great game if I was fired up. Smith is not a big guy and punches well above his weight.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...