We need an experienced half back

TIGER

Re: We need an experienced half back

Post by TIGER » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:04 pm

We've needed an experienced halfback since the day Prince left.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:11 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:04 pm
We've needed an experienced halfback since the day Prince left.
Lol was gonna say this....

We use to make excuses that Benji cant shine without an experienced organising half outside him.
Thats why we sucked for all those years.

Lol
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Post by 851 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:03 pm

Benji winding back the clock now, putting on a master class against canberra
Go hard or go home

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:29 pm

After watching the Brisbane game we need 2 things.
Benji back at the club in a coaching mentoring role.
2nd is that there is plenty of merit in having Brooks see out the season in ISP. It's done wonders for Hunt I've never seen him kick the ball better than tonight.
Even if it was just for a few weeks to get some confidence.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:43 pm

Needaname wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:29 pm
After watching the Brisbane game we need 2 things.
Benji back at the club in a coaching mentoring role.
2nd is that there is plenty of merit in having Brooks see out the season in ISP. It's done wonders for Hunt I've never seen him kick the ball better than tonight.
Even if it was just for a few weeks to get some confidence.
Yep I think we need two things as well - just not the same two things you mentioned above.

They are just silly. Lol

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:45 pm

Fair enough Russell I usually value your opinion enlighten me with what your 2 things are that we need?

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:11 pm

Needaname wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:45 pm
Fair enough Russell I usually value your opinion enlighten me with what your 2 things are that we need?
Well in my opinion we do not need Benji in a coaching roll. He is and has always been an "off the cuff" player, most of the time he doesn't know what he is going to do next let alone teach it. A coaching roll yes for somebody but a player than can teach structure i.e. what to do when this happens, what to do if they try this on and so forth. I'm not sure if Cleary is the one (suspect he is, taught his son pretty well) or if it should be someone else but who is available.

Also in my opinion Brooks would gain nothing by playing in ISP, firstly it would destroy his confidence totally, secondly who in ISP or around ISP would impart any knowledge to him that would be of any value (seeing they can hardly win a game themselves).

What he needs is an experienced 5/8 to play with him and he is not going to get that until next year. I am not putting crap on Lolohea by saying that, because he is an out and out full back and not a 5/8 but the best we have at the moment.

Best thing that we can do for him at the moment is for Cleary to coach him i.e. how to close out games, how to get repeat sets etc. All things that can be put to use next year but things that will help the team as he progresses this year. As someone said earlier - it would help, that when he runs to the line that there are people backing up to give him options and take the pressure of him a bit. Usually Rowdy is the only one that does this and he isn't there of late.

Not having a go Needaname but I just figure you were on the wrong tact - I maybe wrong as well, it would not be the first time.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:59 pm

I started writing a response then my phone went flat.
In summary I get what your saying as far as Luke not learning anything more by playing in a lower grade.
I just watched how much the stint in reserve grade had benefited Ben hunt. Tonight was the best I've ever seen him kick and one can wonder that he got some confidence back playing in the lower grades.
With Brooks he can't win. Whenever he does kick it through space our chase is so disjointed that the other team has a counter attack or it goes dead for 7 because no one was pressuring the other teams backs. So the last couple of kicks look like he has been just tapping it for fear of it going dead.
Lawerence will help with this but...
I don't agree it would sap his confidence maybe it would if it was done in the next couple of weeks. But it really might be worth considering towards the end of the year. The way I see it the team and not just Luke need plenty of football practice and from the last couple of games you can see they are not getting enough opportunities as we keep getting dominated. Next year is next year. Sure this years a right off but I don't want to get to the end of the year thinking there is no improvement from anyone.
That is my thoughts with Brooks going back a grade. Either that or move LoLo to fullback and bring back Little John to see out the year.
In regards to Benji.
He was recruited to Brisbane for 2 reasons depth and Professionalism.
I know it's not what people think of when they consider benji but i think since he left his buddies at the tigers he has really embraced what it means to be a first grader. maybe not a halves coach I wasn't suggesting that but just might be the right guy to have around to help with the culture of the club moving forwards, add heighno to that list as well. The benefit being that have both been part of really successful clubs in their twilight years and they have a fragment of the old history of Wests Tigers in their blood.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:21 am

We have an experienced half back. Don't you mean an effective half back, one that can do his job by steering the side and kicking judiciously??

Post by 851 » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:50 am

stevied wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:21 am
We have an experienced half back. Don't you mean an effective half back, one that can do his job by steering the side and kicking judiciously??
Look at Brodie Croft, about 4 NRL games, he looks like Cronk and plays like him too, and he makes Brooks with 80 odd games look bog average.
So the old he is young and is still learning does not cut it anymore, he has had 3 offseasons coached by a rothmans medal winning halfback and he has not improved. He is now coached by a bloke who coached his son to be a good solid NRL half at 18 years old, I think we have given Brooks more than enough chances.
We have backed a donkey, time to cut our losses, SG said we could cover Brook wage to play reggies, or we try sell him off.
I have high hopes for Gamble, and he is a goalkicker too, he must really fancy his chances of ousting Brooks from the team next year, and in my opinion that should be rd1.
Go hard or go home

Post by 851 » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:50 am

stevied wrote:
Look at Brodie Croft, about 4 NRL games, he looks like Cronk and plays like him too, and he makes Brooks with 80 odd games look bog average.
So the old he is young and is still learning does not cut it anymore, he has had 3 offseasons coached by a rothmans medal winning halfback and he has not improved. He is now coached by a bloke who coached his son to be a good solid NRL half at 18 years old, I think we have given Brooks more than enough chances.
We have backed a donkey, time to cut our losses, SG said we could cover Brook wage to play reggies, or we try sell him off.
I have high hopes for Gamble, and he is a goalkicker too, he must really fancy his chances of ousting Brooks from the team next year, and in my opinion that should be rd1.
Go hard or go home

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:54 am

stevied wrote:
Good point, think we forget sometimes that he's got 80 odd NRL games to his name now.
No more plodders!
:sign:

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:58 am

We need an experienced half, not necessarily a half back. Reynolds should help Brooks a lot imo. Its funny when you line them up, Reynolds has only played about 60 more games than Brooks.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:09 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:58 am
We need an experienced half, not necessarily a half back. Reynolds should help Brooks a lot imo. Its funny when you line them up, Reynolds has only played about 60 more games than Brooks.
Gunners,I can see why people keep making excuses for Brooks,if Reynolds helps develop Brooks, then happy days....but in my opinion LB has had plenty of time to learn how NRL works,I just dont think he can cut it at this level and especially to control this team,thats why we have had bad losses,he cant step up and take hold of a game ala Cronk,Thursto, Cleary etc...HOPEFULLY no one tells me Im wrong,because I have watched him for to long....and he has had plenty of time,even when he said "life without Moses",and how he will play his natural game etc,etc,etc....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Sunnycoast tiger

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:09 pm

If Cooper Cronk is retiring ( Which I think he will do ) why can't we hire him to teach Brooks and Gamble.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:14 pm

They only have to watch videos of Uncle Robbie or Alfie Langer to learn the tricks of the trade. Of course there is a fine art to grubber kicking including reading the field so get him a few weeks of intensive training and if no massive improvement than move him on.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 2:17 pm

I think a lot of the comments on Brooks are being misplaced. Yes his short kicking game has been very poor but I think other areas of his game have improved - certainly his effort in D and his involvement in the game since returning from injury. In the last few weeks he has played with Kev at fullback (who has offered very little), missing Teddy running off him and chasing kicks etc, he has Tui at 5/8 who was really horrible on Friday night and provides no playmaking or kicking option, he has a dummy half who also does not create play or kick (which Farrah - yes I said Farrah - did and still does). Also he plays behind probably the softest forward pack in the NRL.
So putting Brooks into context at the WTs, I think ragging out on him alone is unfair and not looking at the overall problems.

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 2:25 pm

I'd bring Joey in to give him some coaching and advice.