We need an experienced half back

cqtiger

Re: We need an experienced half back

Post by cqtiger » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 11:15 am

Every club wants an experienced half - there aren't enough.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 11:56 am

The whole crux of the problem is that the entire pack of forwards the club is carrying is so weak and insipid in attack that the opposition is so much on the front foot by the time we approach the fifth tackle. This makes the task of our halfback so much more difficult to set himself for a good clearing kick on the last tackle. What the club definitely needs to do is get rid of 70% of the players posing as our forwards and replace them with imposing forwards in the same mould as Matulino and Packer whom we have already signed.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:06 pm

colmcd wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:26 am
Basil Tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:23 pm
BeeJay wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 5:09 pm
All I'm hoping is Reynolds has a short kicking game and a better option than put a bomb up no matter where we are on the field.
As long as he's not another Ballin and doesn't go around trying to trip people we will be OK,i hope.
The big question is why Des is letting him go,he offered to stay for less money so the Club could be under the Cap and still Des. didn't want him.
Anyway we find out soon enough.
Easy answer. Des wanted Kieran. The Dogs must be under huge cap pressures. I think Des just went Reynolds + Kieran means we loose our forwards.

Hard answer, what is wrong with Reynolds? I think Reynolds will either be a boon 5/8 for us or if he does not work out there, possibly the best Center in the comp. If he is fit, then his only defect is his neglectful passing game. Otherwise Reynolds is probably better then Kieran for us, the Dogs however don't need a strong defensive 5/8.
They had to let Reynolds go because he's off contract and they signed the farm over for Mbye which was horrendous in hindsight. No one would have taken Mbye on at close to full fare so Reynolds had to go.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:21 pm

Newtown wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 11:56 am
The whole crux of the problem is that the entire pack of forwards the club is carrying is so weak and insipid in attack that the opposition is so much on the front foot by the time we approach the fifth tackle. This makes the task of our halfback so much more difficult to set himself for a good clearing kick on the last tackle. What the club definitely needs to do is get rid of 70% of the players posing as our forwards and replace them with imposing forwards in the same mould as Matulino and Packer whom we have already signed.
I agree although Brooks doesn't seem to have trouble when clearing a kick to get us out of our own end.
Its when we are in the opposition 20 and are expecting a decent kick to take advantage of we appear to be struggling.
At those moments Brooks had defence in his face straight away and no options either side for a running option.
That doesn't necessarily come down to our middle but more the awareness of our edges, there was no blockers or chasers with most of brooks kicks even if he grubered them for 2 meters. This isn't an isolated incident. Even last year I saw plenty of kicks from the halves that other teams would take Avantage but the awareness of our team just isn't there. As mentioned Brooks needs to organise this as part of his job. And really play through a whole set not just think his job is up when it comes to the forth or fifth tackle. This comes down to coaching and may have been a result of Taylor really trying to simplify the involvement of both halves in their first year under him. How much organising is really needed for 4 hit ups and a kick. It's set him back.
These are the areas Luke has improved in this year, even whilst coached by Taylor.
Overall involvement in number of touches.
Defence positioning and contact.
Movement and being available for support or in plays on all areas of the field.
Effort and interest in general.
Kicking for position from his own end.
He really is only down in execution at the moment and that is impacted by the whole team as well as his own.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:37 pm

colmcd wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:26 am
I think Reynolds will either be a boon 5/8 for us or if he does not work out there, possibly the best Center in the comp.
Josh Reynolds playing centre? Really?

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:45 pm

Club Sandwich wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:38 pm
junior05 wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:09 pm
If Cooper Cronk is retiring ( Which I think he will do ) why can't we hire him to teach Brooks and Gamble.
Because a) he won't want to come to a basket case like us and b) I'm pretty sure the Storm have already teed that up
Your "club sandwich" all wrapped up with with Daily Telegraph headline.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:52 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:50 am
stevied wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:21 am
We have an experienced half back. Don't you mean an effective half back, one that can do his job by steering the side and kicking judiciously??
Look at Brodie Croft, about 4 NRL games, he looks like Cronk and plays like him too, and he makes Brooks with 80 odd games look bog average.
So the old he is young and is still learning does not cut it anymore, he has had 3 offseasons coached by a rothmans medal winning halfback and he has not improved. He is now coached by a bloke who coached his son to be a good solid NRL half at 18 years old, I think we have given Brooks more than enough chances.
We have backed a donkey, time to cut our losses, SG said we could cover Brook wage to play reggies, or we try sell him off.
I have high hopes for Gamble, and he is a goalkicker too, he must really fancy his chances of ousting Brooks from the team next year, and in my opinion that should be rd1.
Brooks looked pretty good after 4 NRL games as well!

I'd be careful using very junior players as a forecast of long-term success. Not saying Croft hasn't done well and Melbourne's system is clearly quality, but let's see how he does after 1-2 more years, weekly grind, the toll of the mental pressure, a few injuries and when the opposition has had plenty of time to do video on his game.

That's where Brooks is now, not been around so long to be an old head, still only 22 years old, but long enough that oppositions know and target his weaknesses.

BUT Thurston played 3 seasons with the Dogs on and off the bench, 29 games total, before he changed clubs and went to the next level. Thurston was 22 years old in his first season at the Cowboys.

Brooks is still young and has still time to develop, but he needs more quality footballers around him to be able to do that. It's all well and good for Brodie Croft to play some good games when his side is consistently a top 4 side and he's playing with guys like Cam Smith and Billy Slater, mentored by Cronk as you note.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 4:48 pm

haberfield tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 7:15 pm
Brooks plays behind a beaten forward pack each week. what are we all expecting...
At a minimum to finish our sets with a decent kick, why is it the forwards fault for Brooks poor kicking?

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 5:36 pm

TIGER wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 4:48 pm
haberfield tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 7:15 pm
Brooks plays behind a beaten forward pack each week. what are we all expecting...
At a minimum to finish our sets with a decent kick, why is it the forwards fault for Brooks poor kicking?
Watch any team and see how they protect their kicker by sending out blockers.