05TIGZ wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 3:31 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:18 am
05TIGZ wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 8:40 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 9:24 pm

I have no issue with Cleary, actually I'm a big fan. But if Taylor was the problem, why have we only won 3 games since he was sacked?
You are so clouded by your obsession with JT that there is no point in arguing with you. If you are a supporter of the tigers then you would be very happy with the direction the club is going and the improvements we have made,particularly in the last 3 weeks. JT is at the roosters , and I'm sure they would love supporters like you to go across there.
You're the one who is obsessed with JT. If you weren't so obbssessed with JT yourself, you'd know my comment wasn't a dig at Cleary, but the playing roster. Now please, stop following me around like a little lost puppy. I am not interested.
I'm obsessed with JT???? Lol lol lol

Tigers lose by a point to a top 8 team and all you want to talk about is JT. It's your own quote. You can't be a fan boy and a tigers supporter you need to choose one. Must be so hard to let go.
I feel like this is only going to digenerarte, because you are incapable of rational discussion without resorting to acting like a child with childish insults. Most people on here are capable of rational discussion. It's sad that you aren't. So I'm ending it here.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kafta

Post by kafta » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:01 pm

So Cleary got a 3 & a half year contract plus an almost clean slate to work with.

Yeah he got what he deserved.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:04 pm

I'll wait till he at least has an off season with em

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:09 pm

Cleary was always going to be traeding water this year. He made a couple minor changes on the run, but to fully leave his mark on the side, he needs an off season to implement his own systems. The fact we had our all cap to spend and he was able to cherry pick his own team was rare and puts him way ahead of where other coaches usually are at a club less than 12 months into their tenure.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:20 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:09 pm
Cleary was always going to be traeding water this year. He made a couple minor changes on the run, but to fully leave his mark on the side, he needs an off season to implement his own systems. The fact we had our all cap to spend and he was able to cherry pick his own team was rare and puts him way ahead of where other coaches usually are at a club less than 12 months into their tenure.
Yesterday you offered the comment that is seems JT wasn't the problem. Now you write that Cleary was always going to be treading water this year. Can you please provide an explanation?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:25 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:20 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Yesterday you offered the comment that is seems JT wasn't the problem. Now you write that Cleary was always going to be treading water this year. Can you please provide an explanation?
Simple. I was referring to the playing roster yesterday, not Cleary....

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:30 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:25 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Even so, losing by one point to a team in the 8 who on paper should have given us a lapping is an indication the roster is performing as well as Cleary being a good manager of people. I still don't understand your initial comment.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:33 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:04 pm
I'll wait till he at least has an off season with em
Agreed.

Cleary may not want to chuck Juniors into a squad that is getting Cained. Maybe Lovett, JLJ are acceptable losses next year. Though if that is the reason... it sucks.

Next year though, we will at least see Cleary with the squad he wants. No standouts and a decent forward pack. I get the feeling though we might struggle to make the 8.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 6:10 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 5:30 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Even so, losing by one point to a team in the 8 who on paper should have given us a lapping is an indication the roster is performing as well as Cleary being a good manager of people. I still don't understand your initial comment.
The problem lies in our roster, it has been a perpetual problem that has haunted us for the most part of a decade through poor cap management. Not JTs fault and not Ivan's fault.. Hell, Potter probably wasn't actually as bad as anyone thought because he had a rough looking team to deal with also. Therefore the problem likely wasn't JT like many believed. I remember quite a few on here saying a new coach would fix everything, but of course that takes time and wasn't the main cause of our problems.

Cleary seems to be doing a decent job, and next year we'll finally be able to see a team free of cap constraints.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:11 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 6:10 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

The problem lies in our roster, it has been a perpetual problem that has haunted us for the most part of a decade through poor cap management. Not JTs fault and not Ivan's fault.. Hell, Potter probably wasn't actually as bad as anyone thought because he had a rough looking team to deal with also. Therefore the problem likely wasn't JT like many believed. I remember quite a few on here saying a new coach would fix everything, but of course that takes time and wasn't the main cause of our problems.

Cleary seems to be doing a decent job, and next year we'll finally be able to see a team free of cap constraints.
Well said.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:26 pm

I am always a fan of the faster fitter stronger magical mysterious Pre-season...

This one will be disrupted by the World Cup...sure we won't have any in the Australian side..you would think the MatPack and ET will make the Kiwis Squad ...McQueen the England side if he hasn't had neck surgery which means he will spend pre-season in rehab..As well as our other Pacific Island players Suli, Marsters, Sue representing their respective Nations..Twal is a cert for Lebanon...

Rowdy and Brooks can wooop it up with Ivan...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:29 pm

Tigersmurf wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:54 am
oldprop wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:19 am
Knuckles wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 8:09 pm
Even though we just missed out on the eight last year, the last game against the Raiders showed we were not a serious semi finals threat.
It was over after 20 mins. Very poor effort.
Is that a fair distinction? We got flogged by Penrith in our last game of 2005 too if I recall.

I'm not sure we were trying to win that game ..... and it certainly wasn't a flogging of the same magnitude of the Raiders match last year.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:50 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 7:26 pm
I am always a fan of the faster fitter stronger magical mysterious Pre-season...

This one will be disrupted by the World Cup...sure we won't have any in the Australian side..you would think the MatPack and ET will make the Kiwis Squad ...McQueen the England side if he hasn't had neck surgery which means he will spend pre-season in rehab..As well as our other Pacific Island players Suli, Marsters, Sue representing their respective Nations..Twal is a cert for Lebanon...

Rowdy and Brooks can wooop it up with Ivan...
The coach will be here tho....he wasnt last year
Hes mentioned you cannot turn around an off seasons work mid season, or 3 rounds in. Nothing magic or mystery about it

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 8:01 pm

This thread is kind of pointless really. There's nothing anyone can do - Cleary will be the coach next year. And nobody knows how the roster overhaul will pan out, can't really see a point arguing about it right now.

You'll be a decent way to being proven wrong or right this time next year.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:54 pm

I don't share the view that, by this time next season, we will be sitting high on the table. You can't fully rebuild a roster in one season and what will happen is that Ivan will make strategic buys next season for 2019 and so on for 2020.

We do need to improve drastically on the field next year in order to attract top line players for the following seasons but it will take a couple of years for us to be competitive with the big boys and patience is required. The players that we target need to see a team and a coach that they want to play with and I believe they will want to come here as time goes on. We are still some time away from threatening to win a title, though.

I'm really looking forward to next season with a new look team playing with different structures and I think we could make the eight or go very close to it but my expectations are no higher than that.

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:07 pm

I also can't see it all turning around next season. I just want to see some improvement next year.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:32 am

Sco77y wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 6:10 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

Some want to rewrite history to suit their agenda. Was Taylor the messiah?, no, but was he only appointed in the shadow of the preseason commencing at a club lumbered with an already bulging salary cap, to be a coach with virtually no say in further recruitment?, damn right he was.

What's more, he had to put up with being undermined by a captain that got rid of his predecessor/s. After a decision was made to remove the problem, the incoming CEO replacing the one that had perpetuated our already diabolical cap position, reneged on the backing of the coach and probably caused another another year of bloodletting, not to mention a poorer bargaining position in ridding the club of a then further declined and aged player.

Does anyone on here really not think that Taylor was placed in an untenable position by being told to apologise to a captain that was undermining him in front of the squad, or that it was anything other than a ridiculous decision?

Cleary might not be coaching at one of the rich glamour clubs, but any incoming club coach would be envious of the scope available to him in his first full season at WT.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 1:22 am

Cleary negotiated his position before putting pen to paper, Taylor jumped at the opportunity to be back as a first grade coach and did not look at what Potter went through or did not care.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!