Um.. How did we lose that?

stevied

Re: Um.. How did we lose that?

Post by stevied » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 9:51 am

I think various people have pinpointed the reason for the loss. We simply didn't have enough first grade quality in the team. Two make shift centres, a very average replacement half back and no one really able to steer the team around. What do people expect? The Cowboys roster, although depleted, were a more talented squad, who had more to play for and, who, late in the game, began to find some form. It's futile to point the blame at individual players when the reality is that we couldn't match the opposition when they used their superior class to go up a few gears. Full credit to the Tigers for playing tough right to the end with a patchwork team. The squad's overall defence has improved dramatically and Cleary has them playing with spirit and commitment.

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:04 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 9:51 am
Russell wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 9:45 am
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 9:42 am
formerguest wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 8:10 am

It was the perfect pass.
Would've been perfect if he just had a butchers and found the recipients chest.... No look long cut outs are pointless... They only work short
I think Nofo should have been there to take the pass. He was so far back he could have been playing Full back. Sometimes a bit of nous is needed.
What's the point of passing where the passer thinks he should be if he isn't there?
Im not absolving Nofas positioning, but if Lolohea just had a look... He would've scored if he hit him despite him being so deep
I don't get how the winger gets blamed when if the passer hit the winger the winger scores. Nofo was perfectly positioned to score a try and if Tui hits him he more than likely scores.

KevB

Post by KevB » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:13 am

The winger is supposed to be running.

18thman

Post by 18thman » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:23 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 7:30 am
Cleary really needs to work on Lolohea's decision making. He did two 'Benji's' last night that had me shaking my head.
The first was Noffas fault....he wasn't up with the play

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:26 am

I think I counted at least 6 forward passes from the cowboys that weren't pulled up. They weren't line ball, they were a mile forward.

Brooks is 500 times better than JLJ. People suggesting Teddy was out of position for one of the kicks, but if JLJ had shown any urgency chasing, he should have knocked it back. He ambling and ended up within a metre or 2 of the ball

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:55 am

I only got to watch the second half, I thought fullback positioning for kick defence was rather poor, but credit to Cowboys they kicked creatively and chased hard.

MCK didn't need to flatten Morgan for that penalty that Cowboys scored off.

I was convinced Winterstein put a shoulder charge on Nofo the set prior when he took that hospital pass.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 11:24 am

Furious1 wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 8:06 am
NT Tiger wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 7:30 am
Cleary really needs to work on Lolohea's decision making. He did two 'Benji's' last night that had me shaking my head.
Mate the first pass to Nofo was a pearler. Any other competent winger in the game would have been flying onto it and scoring in the corner. I wonder where Nofos head is at sometimes.
Yeah, referring to the nothing kicks turning over possession. To me, Nofoaluma was too far back, that said if Lolohea had had a look it would have gone differently.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 11:33 am

innsaneink wrote:
Russell wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
formerguest wrote:

It was the perfect pass.
Would've been perfect if he just had a butchers and found the recipients chest.... No look long cut outs are pointless... They only work short
I think Nofo should have been there to take the pass. He was so far back he could have been playing Full back. Sometimes a bit of nous is needed.
What's the point of passing where the passer thinks he should be if he isn't there?
Im not absolving Nofas positioning, but if Lolohea just had a look... He would've scored if he hit him despite him being so deep
I think if Lolo had passed onto Nofo's chest, he would have easily been stopped before he got to the line. He was 10 metres back - what was he doing having a picnic back there?

Now if Rapana, Oates or Kahu were on that wing - they would have taken the ball and scored.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 12:02 pm

That was a great pass from Lolohea which deserved a try. Any decent winger from a bygone era would have nailed that pass and scored.

Too much emphasis is placed on strong wingers who can hit the ball up like forwards at the expense of genuine pace and positioning.

barra

Post by barra » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:59 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Russell wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
formerguest wrote:

It was the perfect pass.
I don't know if that face ball would have got passed Ted if he'd thrown it any deeper? Whereas if Nofo had taken a look at where the opposition were numbering up, he probably would have seen that he needed to push earlier. In the end it just looked like neither knew what the other was doing.

But that didn't lose the game, tbh I think the difference was a few of our regulars out and a few of their regulars came back in. While neither team was at full strength, once we got into a grind with them I felt we were never going to be able win it that way - just not enough quality or experience on the field for us to do that last night.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 3:03 pm

On the Tui-Nofo debate, Nofo was running off Teddy, which considering we run 99% of our attacking movements through him isn't unreasonable. Marsters was up running a decoy off Lolohea and so the depth was completely out of whack. Like most have said, if Tui looks or just double pumps, we probably get there. Nofo could have been up in the line, but I'm not going to begrudge him running off Tedesco.

On the game as a whole, the class difference was obvious, but it just seemed like we slipped back in to old habits. We were in the grind for 60 minutes and then fell off a cliff. I wonder if the last few weeks made them think they had this whole first grade thing figured out and the game would keep going at the same rate. Seemed like we didn't expect a push from the Cowboys at all.
Wasn't sure of the forward rotation either, seemed to be lots of chopping and changing, which I wonder if that contributed to the uncertainty.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 3:25 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 3:03 pm
On the Tui-Nofo debate, Nofo was running off Teddy, which considering we run 99% of our attacking movements through him isn't unreasonable. Marsters was up running a decoy off Lolohea and so the depth was completely out of whack. Like most have said, if Tui looks or just double pumps, we probably get there. Nofo could have been up in the line, but I'm not going to begrudge him running off Tedesco.

On the game as a whole, the class difference was obvious, but it just seemed like we slipped back in to old habits. We were in the grind for 60 minutes and then fell off a cliff. I wonder if the last few weeks made them think they had this whole first grade thing figured out and the game would keep going at the same rate. Seemed like we didn't expect a push from the Cowboys at all.
Wasn't sure of the forward rotation either, seemed to be lots of chopping and changing, which I wonder if that contributed to the uncertainty.
The major problem I have with that is that Tedesco rarely passes the ball until his own situation is hopeless. Nofo knew he should have been there to take the pass that had created a try, just as Sandercock and Cleary did.

MCK gave the cows the rope to climb from the cliff that the Tigers play had kept them at the base of till that point of the half and they gleefully took it with both hands to begin their "push" on the back of all the possession.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 3:28 pm

Teddy was nearly over the line when he passed .. normally he cuts back in and scores ...

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 4:41 pm

While our kicking was much better in parts, I still think we seriously need some work in the last tackle department.

When up by two tries we should have been kicking long, to the corners and in to touch. Instead we were putting up shallow high kicks, with not much chase. It allowed the cowboys to receive the ball on the 20 or 30m line, and get on a roll with a few quick play the balls. Cowboys played a much better game for field position.

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 7:24 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 6:57 am
stryker wrote:
Fri 25 Aug, 2017 11:15 pm
There is one upside to tonights loss....Canberra are almost guaranteed to miss the 8 even though they won. They would have got their hopes up at half time lol...
Personally would rather see raiders there then the cows.
Raiders are my second team. Much prefer them. How you can possibly not make the 8 with their team is mind boggling.

We need never say die players like Reynolds. A kicker (god help us between brooks, Lolo, Reynolds and Benji) and some enforcers who make you think twice before running straight into them.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 7:32 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 3:25 pm
VanillaThunder wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 3:03 pm

The major problem I have with that is that Tedesco rarely passes the ball until his own situation is hopeless. Nofo knew he should have been there to take the pass that had created a try, just as Sandercock and Cleary did.

MCK gave the cows the rope to climb from the cliff that the Tigers play had kept them at the base of till that point of the half and they gleefully took it with both hands to begin their "push" on the back of all the possession.
Of course he should have been there. Several players threw their arms up and judging their actions it wasn't at Tui. Moses does it every week and his wingers are always ready for it