Nathan Cleary

magpiecol

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by magpiecol » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:13 am

I coached my son when he played soccer. No problem.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:40 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:47 am
I'd love to have Nathan at the club, but Coaching your own Son can be a minefield. Even ( or especially ) in First grade.
When he's playing well it would be fine. But when he has the inevitable form drops, that's when the pressure rises.
They have a great relationship, and maybe could make it worth it. But a lot would rather not put that relationship under strain. It may not be worth the risk.
Worked out OK for Johnny and Martin Lang.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

underdog

Post by underdog » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:38 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:40 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
I'd love to have Nathan at the club, but Coaching your own Son can be a minefield. Even ( or especially ) in First grade.
When he's playing well it would be fine. But when he has the inevitable form drops, that's when the pressure rises.
They have a great relationship, and maybe could make it worth it. But a lot would rather not put that relationship under strain. It may not be worth the risk.
Ditto for Wayne Bennett and Darius Boyd. :mrgreen:

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:59 pm

underdog wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:38 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
As far as we know.
I'm just saying. that maybe they would rather not put each other under unneeded pressure.
I'd have him here in a heartbeat if it was possible.

Post by 851 » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:59 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Lang coached his son his whole career, even moved clubs with him, and won a premiership, so that I think could be classed as successful.
Go hard or go home

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 1:01 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:41 am
Not sure what Ivans relationship with Gould is really like. After the way Gould made his sacking a public affair, not sure he would be so supportive of Goud trying to tie up the services of his son long-term.
Nathan appears to have a great relationship with his father, and the actions of the great Gus may come back to bite him on the butt with this one.
The old saying "Don't tread on the toes today that are connected to the arse you might have to lick tomorrow"

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 1:47 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 1:01 pm
Telltails wrote:
Not sure what Ivans relationship with Gould is really like. After the way Gould made his sacking a public affair, not sure he would be so supportive of Goud trying to tie up the services of his son long-term.
Nathan appears to have a great relationship with his father, and the actions of the great Gus may come back to bite him on the butt with this one.
The old saying "Don't tread on the toes today that are connected to the arse you might have to lick tomorrow"
Couldn't have put it any better if I tried.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 2:09 pm

Telltails wrote:
I'm almost positive Gould mentioned in commentary that he travelled to the game with Ivan when we played at Campbeltown, not the last game but the game before that. So your not going to sit in a car with someone when you dont need too, so i assume their relationship is at least semi friendly.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 2:09 pm
Telltails wrote:
I'm almost positive Gould mentioned in commentary that he travelled to the game with Ivan when we played at Campbeltown, not the last game but the game before that. So your not going to sit in a car with someone when you dont need too, so i assume their relationship is at least semi friendly.
Truth be known Doc I wouldn't have a clue what level of friendship they have, all assumption on my part - maybe even a bit of wishful thinkng.
Last edited by Telltails on Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm

underdog wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:38 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
You mean Scott Minto surely!

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 4:24 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm
The_Doc wrote:
Telltails wrote:
Truth be known Doc I wouldn't have a clue what level of friendship they have, all assumption on my part - maybe even a bit of wishful thinkng.
Nor would i mate apart from that snippet i heard during the commentary as i said, i would have assumed there would be some sour grapes there from Cleary i dont know anyone who happily gets the sack, he might be the exception to the rule :lol:

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 10:10 pm

On Nathan Cleary tonight. He put in kicks that commentators were calling good kicks, they were nothing more than kicking straight to the winger or fullback. Press just
love to love him no matter what. He's forward pack got smashed tonight. Not even Joey Johns could have turned Manlys efforts tonight. Brooks has had to live with a backwards forward pack for most of his career. Next year, if we gell, and our new pack become a pack brooks and our new signings will very much benefit. My point, Nathan looks great but only behind a pack. No Pack No Nathan. No Pack no any halfback.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 10:18 pm

Well said

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 10:31 pm

On Nathan Cleary tonight. He put in kicks that commentators were calling good kicks, they were nothing more than kicking straight to the winger or fullback. Press just
love to love him no matter what. He's forward pack got smashed tonight. Not even Joey Johns could have turned Manlys efforts tonight. Brooks has had to live with a backwards forward pack for most of his career. Next year, if we gell, and our new pack become a pack brooks and our new signings will very much benefit. My point, Nathan looks great but only behind a pack. No Pack No Nathan. No Pack no any halfback.

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 10:41 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:17 pm
The_Doc wrote:
Telltails wrote:
I don't think Ivan would be the kind of bloke who would put his personal grievances ahead of the best interests of his son, if he does in fact have an issue with Gus. I think he'll do whatever's best for Nathan at the time, whether thatbe staying at Penrith, coming to us or any other club.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 10:53 pm

Sorry just posted same thing twice. I'm knew to forum and useless when it comes to computers or anything along those lines.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 11:19 pm

I do believe Ivan got sacked because he didn't want his son exposed to so much exposure as he is getting now. Ivan has been there and done that and would know how players can be treated like cattle. You look good i want you. You fail and i don't care about you. Ivan knows how good his son is but wanted a bit more time. GUS Gould the supposed GOD of football overstepped a father's call and sacked him. Then threw the kid in. Time will tell? Will Nathan keep it up? Me thinks only under Dad at the tigers and slowly but surely. My thoughts only!!!

mightymagpie

Post by mightymagpie » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 2:06 am

That SMH article more or less said this:
- Ivan not happy with Gus with how he was sacked from Penriff
- Ivan would advise Nathan there's no need for him to extend his contract at Penriff but added it was Nathan's decision to do as he pleases
- Ivan said coaching his son would only work if he was established first grader
- Ivan finds it difficult coaching against Nathan but knows he will have to do it for at least another couple of years.

So make of that whatever you like. These were my observations when I read the article a few weeks ago. Of course I'm biased and hope to see Nathan Cleary at WT.

On the other hand Gus might see the error of his ways in a years time and realise Griffin is not half the coach Ivan is and entice Ivan back to the Panthers. Or the Rorters might take Ivan and Nathan with their brown paper bag economy.