Same sex marriage debate...

General Social Discussion
Silentio
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Same sex marriage debate...

Unread post by Silentio » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:26 am

What I have found most interesting during the whole campaign is the unwillingness of the Islamic community to speak up about how they strongly oppose same sex marriage.

Abraham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Abraham » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 12:15 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 7:16 am
I can understand you not mentioning the Bible as it is very embarrassing, for example, not letting a witch to live, homosexuality is an abomination. So the Bible can form the background of people's thinking even if they don't quote it. The Bible is like the devil whispering evil things in your ear.
Your getting off topic with your bigotted rantings ... it was only a matter of time before you couldn't contain yourself any longer.

As you should know, being the Biblical expert you are, the Holy Bible is the literature that forms the cornerstone of Western Civilization, the most free and compassionate of civilisations to ever exist in all of humanity. So you're more than a little off in your analysis.

Its funny you mention evil, do you believe that evil exists? It seems you do, because you have mentioned it in your response.

I ask because good, evil and morality itself cannot exist in naturalist/atheist philosophy. Nearly all intellectual atheists admit this ... yet i can bet my last dollar that you cannot explain evil without putting God firmly in the paradigm.

Probably a good idea not to start intellectual fights that you have no chance in hell of winning.

Snake
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Snake » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 12:25 pm

Silentio wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:26 am
What I have found most interesting during the whole campaign is the unwillingness of the Islamic community to speak up about how they strongly oppose same sex marriage.
There are no gay Muslims !

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:05 pm

Silentio wrote:
Hmm, I have wondered at this myself. I suspect two things:
1. They probably haven't been silent, just targeted to their community. If an Imam wishes to talk to their parish they will say it at mass.

2. They are probably not that interested in the state's definition of Marriage. Marriage used to be defined by the Churches up until about 1800's. Then England demanded that the state register all marriages (for all sorts of reasons, including bigamy). Now we have a Civil Celebrant and/or a priest who can marry people.

Personally I have a very clear separation in my mind between the "state"s version of Marriage and a religious version of Marriage. I could care less if the state thought I was married, my religious marriage (under god) takes precedence. Others differ on this (including my wife who values the state marriage act immensely). I suspect many Muslims are the same, holding more respect for their religious marriage ceremony.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:01 pm

Snake wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 12:25 pm
Silentio wrote:
There are no gay Muslims !
Except the guy that shot up the night club in Orlando.

Abraham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Abraham » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:12 pm

Silentio wrote:
This has been written about quite abit lately.

Basically they are scared of losing the political support of their allies on the left by coming out against gay marriage, while at the same time being wary of standing shoulder to shoulder with Christians in their support of traditional marriage.

The alliance between the left and islam has always puzzled me ...

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:43 pm

Abraham wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:12 pm
Silentio wrote:
This has been written about quite abit lately.

Basically they are scared of losing the political support of their allies on the left by coming out against gay marriage, while at the same time being wary of standing shoulder to shoulder with Christians in their support of traditional marriage.

The alliance between the left and islam has always puzzled me ...
My explanation is that they perceive that they have a common enemy - family based western culture, liberal (in the classical sense, not #RegressiveLeft type :D )/democratic society.
#RegressiveLeft has already finished their 'march through the institutions' initiated/designed by Gramsci/Lukacs/Adorno, even corporations are now faithful slaves e.g. Quantas, AGL, Strarback, free to air TV networks etc.

Old saying certainly applies - enemy of my enemy .... :crazy

Those 'useful idiots' will be the first that will be killed/persecuted if Sulafis/Wahabis get any power.

supercoach
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:53 pm

I thought the whole thing is pretty simple..vote yes if you are for it and vote no if your against. Really the reason for voting either way makes no difference and it is your choice for what ever reason. You can debate the issue for hours but at the end of the day it is a basically Holden vrs Ford thing

Yossarian
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:03 pm

supercoach wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:53 pm
I thought the whole thing is pretty simple..vote yes if you are for it and vote no if your against. Really the reason for voting either way makes no difference and it is your choice for what ever reason. You can debate the issue for hours but at the end of the day it is a basically Holden vrs Ford thing
Except I'm guessing most Ford fans don't want to stop Holden fans driving on public streets.

colmcd

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:11 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:03 pm
supercoach wrote:
Except I'm guessing most Ford fans don't want to stop Holden fans driving on public streets.
But as we have been arguing, the Holden fans will oppress our freedom of speech and wheel if we ever let them drive Holdens! If people own a Holden, we will never rid ourselves of the Marxist agenda being forced on our racetracks, cars and branding. You only have to change a few letters and Commodore becomes Communist!

*said by a person who owns a Honda, which once had Ford, Mazda and Toyota parts in it! IMHO if you can't die in it, it's not a fun car.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:47 pm

colmcd wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:11 pm
Yossarian wrote:
supercoach wrote:
But as we have been arguing, the Holden fans will oppress our freedom of speech and wheel if we ever let them drive Holdens! If people own a Holden, we will never rid ourselves of the Marxist agenda being forced on our racetracks, cars and branding. You only have to change a few letters and Commodore becomes Communist!

*said by a person who owns a Honda, which once had Ford, Mazda and Toyota parts in it! IMHO if you can't die in it, it's not a fun car.
I drive a Camry, I take it that's the car equivalent of being a Libertarian in that no one likes you and thinks you're a danger to both yourself and everyone else around you?
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:44 pm

Mazda 3 here...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 5:09 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 8:00 am
stryker wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 6:09 am
Andrew Webster just outed himself on 360 - to a chorus of how brave he was LMAO
Late to the party Stryker, he was out about 5 years ago old mate.
I guess this is my point. I wasnt aware because it doesnt matter to me. I shouldnt know as its none of my business. Now i do know because he told people through the television. Why? The amount of clowns with bad haircuts who have told me, as a total stranger, that they are gay over the past few years in social gatherings has been crazy. My answer is always the same...."so what"?

colmcd

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 5:25 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:47 pm
colmcd wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:11 pm
Yossarian wrote:
supercoach wrote:

I drive a Camry, I take it that's the car equivalent of being a Libertarian in that no one likes you and thinks you're a danger to both yourself and everyone else around you?
No Way. The Camry is safe, reliable and 0 flare for a car. It is the voting equivalent of Bill Shorten I think.

Abbott I think is the VW range... No breaks. Maybe a VW crossed with a Ford Falcon..

Turnbull is definitely the Lexus of Australian Politics.. .looks great but not so good under the Bonnet.

Still waiting for the Holden Kingswood of Australian Politics to come roaring in... We probably haven't seen one of those since Hawke.

On Libertarianism... I have zero understanding why Libertarians are not Georgists.
It's basically Libertarianism without Inheritances and the tax is applied to Land instead of income.
I.e. no free ride from mum and dad. You make your own way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 5:58 pm

I think yes voters are Ford fans....for obvious reasons.

Earl
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Earl » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 6:13 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 5:09 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
stryker wrote:
I guess this is my point. I wasnt aware because it doesnt matter to me. I shouldnt know as its none of my business. Now i do know because he told people through the television. Why? The amount of clowns with bad haircuts who have told me, as a total stranger, that they are gay over the past few years in social gatherings has been crazy. My answer is always the same...."so what"?
I agree but I think part of this is society making it an issue. For instance marriage isn't legal in Australia if you are gay so it becomes an issue. Then we have morons telling us they it should be illegal because the regressive left are stopping them expressing their opinions.

It's all crazy. Marriage should be legal if you are gay or not. I don't care if someone is gay. It's not an issue to me. I don't care if someone is married or not. It's not an issue to me.

So I am definitely voting yes and one of the reasons why is that I don't want it to be an issue if you are gay or not.

I work in a big company and there are obviously gay people in the organisation. On the directory some of them have a I support marriage equality sticker poster across their photo. The other day there was a purple shirt day for youth gay day or whatever it was. I told one of the guys who supported both events that I'm sick of hearing about it. It's not an issue to me and they shouldn't have any reason to campaign but unfortunately they do.

Nelson
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Nelson » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 6:15 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 5:09 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
stryker wrote:
If you don't like it you should probably stop going to social gatherings in gay nightclubs then.

Yossarian
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 6:33 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:44 pm
Mazda 3 here...
Put it away Geo!

Return to “General Discussion”