Been liked: 337 times

PM's XIII - 2017...

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 7:43 am

PM's XIII named for PNG tour match

Wed 13 Sep, 2017, 7:00am
Media Release, NRL
EMAIL PRINT
PM's XIII named for PNG tour match
Josh Dugan has been named in the Australian Prime Minister's XIII to play the PNG Prime Minister's XIII. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Mal Meninga has named six debutants as part of the Australian Prime Minister’s XIII to take on Papua New Guinea Prime Minister’s XIII in Port Moresby on Saturday 23 September.

Valentine Holmes, Andrew Fifita, Api Koroisau, Dylan Walker, Jack Bird and Paul Vaughan will take their place in the team travelling to PNG next week, with the match to be played at the National Football Stadium in the nation’s capital.

A further six players in the squad represented the Kangaroos in the ANZAC Test match earlier this year, with Tom Trbojevic the only player yet to have played a representative match at senior level.

With a little more than a month to go until the Rugby League World Cup, Meninga said the annual invitational match would be used as a genuine selection trial for players pushing for spots in the Kangaroos’ World Cup squad.

"I’m absolutely delighted with this team. We’ve chosen the best available players in each position with fifteen of the eighteen players having represented their State already," Meninga said.

"To get these guys together so close to the Rugby League World Cup is a real coup for our preparations, which will really kick into gear following the NRL Grand Final.

"Some of them have been fortunate enough to have already experienced playing in PNG, but for the new guys, it really is something to cherish. There’s nothing else quite like it.

"I’m looking forward to seeing how everyone gels together in a short timeframe and handles the occasion."

Meninga also confirmed Wests Tigers captain Aaron Woods would skipper the Prime Minister’s XIII.

"Aaron has been a fantastic leader at Club and State level for a number of years now and has fully earned this honour," Meninga said.

"I’m looking forward to seeing him lead from the front on Saturday week against an always tough, physical and entertaining Papua New Guinea Prime Minister’s XIII team."

The Prime Minister’s XIII will also be involved in a series of events alongside the Harvey Norman Jillaroos including community visits and coaching clinics while on the ground in Papua New Guinea and are supported by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

Australian Prime Minister’s XIII squad:

Jack Bird (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)*
Josh Dugan (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
Andrew Fifita (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)*
Tyson Frizell (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights)
Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Valentine Holmes (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)*
Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Api Koroisau (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)*
James Maloney (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
James Tedesco (Wests Tigers)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Paul Vaughan (St George-Illawarra Dragons)*
Dylan Walker (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)*
Aaron Woods (c) (Wests Tigers)

*Denotes PMXIII debut

Coach: Mal Meninga

http://www.nrl.com/pms-xiii-named-for-p ... fault.aspx
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

jirskyr
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 11:41 am

I'm curious, so many Tigers fans think Woods is not captain's material but here he is, being handed national captaincy duties.

ALX22
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 12:03 pm

Must be a shortage of hookers, if Meninga had to pinch Koroisau.

Surprised Boyd from Canberra missed out. Replace Dugan with Walker, and looks okay.

colmcd
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:10 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 11:41 am
I'm curious, so many Tigers fans think Woods is not captain's material but here he is, being handed national captaincy duties.
Yea, but look at the team. I would have picked Papalii or Maloney personally but everyone else is new blood. Woods hasn't been a good captain, but I still rate him as a player.

Looking at the list, Mal must be glad that Manly and Cronulla lost!
No RPLA winner either.

jirskyr
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:41 pm

colmcd wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:10 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Yea, but look at the team. I would have picked Papalii or Maloney personally but everyone else is new blood. Woods hasn't been a good captain, but I still rate him as a player.

No RPLA winner either.
Really, you don't think Graham or Josh Jackson had cases for captaincy?

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:54 pm

jirskyr wrote:

I think people are always tougher on their own players, than others are.

Ftr, I thought he is an alright captain, not the greatest, but certainly not as bad a many on here seem to think. Just because he didn't bark at everyone and jump around like an idiot doesn't mean he wasn't a good captain. He had the respect of his teammates and obviously has the respect of other players and coaches from other teams - those close to him would know better than us looking from afar, as they are the ones being affected by his captaincy, not us.

I think he is a more of a quiet encourager, who led by example, rather than a demonstrative, emotional type of captain who revs players up on the field, but that doesn't mean his captaincy is any less effective. In the same way, I think Taylor will be a good captain for us next season, despite many thinking he is too quiet also.

colmcd
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:13 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:41 pm
colmcd wrote:
Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:10 pm
jirskyr wrote:

No RPLA winner either.
Really, you don't think Graham or Josh Jackson had cases for captaincy?
I was thinking of Wade Graham actually. Can't remember why I did not put him down but yes. Better Captain then Woods. I don't think Josh Jackson as captain though, the Bulldogs have had a lot of people in front of Jackson for captain and he is still young. Yes, take captain away from Woods.

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:51 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Too many people with agendas has swayed their judgement jirskyr.

Earl
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 6:20 pm

I have no agenda but I think Woods was a dud captain for us. I think he was chosen as captain because he captained us this season. How many other players in that list captain their teams ?

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 8:09 pm

Woods is a pathetic captain, the big tranny looking gump can barely string a coherent sentence together even after all the interviews and television appearances he has had.
Mal did this as a thankyou and goodbye from test level. Only injuries should see him selected for the WC squad.

mresky

Unread post by mresky » Fri 22 Sep, 2017 6:12 pm

Does anyone know if the PM's 13 v PNG will be televised/streamed anywhere? I cant seem to find it anywhere? I can't seem to find any information on it aywhere?

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Sep, 2017 6:29 pm

It hasn't been in the past... Don't get your hopes up

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 12:43 pm

Its extremely poor form to have close to no media coverage about this game

I know it doesnt compare to the NRL finals but there are still many interested in this game

And its so neglected that you'd rarely find anything (like kick of times) on NRL.com

IMO its very poor. Its Rugby league at the end of the day and most of us love. Especially at international level

TIGER
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 5:45 pm

Anyone got a live score?
Can't find any info on this game at all, foxsports = nothing, live scores = nothing. NRL = nothing.

TIGER

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 5:47 pm

I've had a bet on this game and I cannot find out anything and I mean anything about it, no scores, nothing!!!!!.
I challenge someone to find me a live score. This is a disgrace!!!

TIGER

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 5:54 pm

I can find obscure sports scores from countries I never knew existed let alone had a sports team but I can't find a a single thing about Aus v PNG international rugby league anywhere on the net at all. Is this game played on the moon or something? I'm baffled

TIGER

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 6:00 pm

Betting agency's must have info on it, why can't anybody else access this information?
This is outrageous!!!!

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 6:06 pm

Is it on right now as I post?
I have read in the past it's very difficult for the broadcaster's to set up up there... It's more for the Papuans than us

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”