America - Gun Control

General Social Discussion
User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9136
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: America - Gun Control

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:20 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:13 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:26 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:08 pm
Earl wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:43 pm


Is it really fair enough ? I don't think it is. I think it's a way to avoid the negative side of Islam. I think it's the exact same thing with the hocus pocus theories regarding mass killings by gun nuts.
Look up operation northwoods if you have time. This was from president Kennedy's time
What point are you trying to make here?
Are you being sarcastic are you seriously asking me? You seriously need me to explain it to you? I really don't need to do that, unless English isn't your first language?
Calm down. It's a genuine question. Maybe clarify that before you start with the insults.


User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25150
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 393 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:18 pm
We're talking about a guy who knows he's performing his last action on Earth. He's going to push through the pain until it's physically impossible.
And then shoot himself in the head..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18809
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:33 pm

The ammo found in his car suggests it wasn't a suicide mission.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9136
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:36 pm

I strongly doubt he thought he was getting out of that room alive.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18809
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:36 pm
I strongly doubt he thought he was getting out of that room alive.
According to at least one official he did.


User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9136
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:07 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:36 pm
I strongly doubt he thought he was getting out of that room alive.
According to at least one official he did.
He's got an opinion. I think he's wrong

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5453
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 3:19 pm
With the recent horriic scene in Las Vegas, again the great debate that is gun control has re-emergd. Imo, our country is a good example of how gun reform works. We haven't had a mass shooting since the Howard Government introduced the buyback program after Port Arthur in 1996. We're lucky in the sense that we can feel safe enough going to concerts and football games knowing this rubbish won't happen. I don't understand Americans who say they need a gun for protection, when taking away guns would be taking them away from those who they need to protect themselves from. They pride themselves on being leaders of the free world, yet their gun laws are third world. This year alone there has been 272 incidents of mass shootings of 4 people or more.

It seems like a vicious cycle. They want their guns to feel safe, but it opens the door to other nut jobs too. What sort of society can condone its citizins arming themselves with assault rifles. The guy in Vegas had an arsenal. But hey, if it makes American's feel safe
Not sure that we can be sure that this rubbish can't happen here,It can happen anywhere that there's some sicko nut jobs who have a religious or some other twisted barrow to push.
The amazing thing though , is that the Yank gun lovers keep saying that they need guns to be safe.
Well , where was the John Wayne clones when the poo hit the fan, ( in any of these attacks)?
You'd think that there'd be hundreds of law abiding citizens streaming into the streets and defending anyone. Maybe it's all talk on their part.
On most occasions like this they must be hiding under the bed.
When the chance is there to do something good with their toys, they've run home to mummy
Typical Americans

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5453
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:37 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:07 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:36 pm
I strongly doubt he thought he was getting out of that room alive.
According to at least one official he did.
He's got an opinion. I think he's wrong
Maybe he's in a better place to form an opinion than you or any of us, just maybe

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9136
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:53 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:37 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:07 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:46 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 7:36 pm
I strongly doubt he thought he was getting out of that room alive.
According to at least one official he did.
He's got an opinion. I think he's wrong
Maybe he's in a better place to form an opinion than you or any of us, just maybe
Maybe he is maybe he isn't. I doubt we will ever know for certainty what his intentions were.

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:57 pm

I don't mind a conspiracy theory, but in this case there are a few relevant points.

As Willow and Abe seem to know a lot more than me about guns, I won't wade into that.

I do know a lot about 60 year olds, as they are generally amongst the youngest clients in my field. Someone who did this and survived might have taken a while to recover from any physical injury but there is no way a feat of physical endurance and strength suddenly becomes beyond you if you could do it in your fifties. Especially if someone had a mass of adrenaline, drugs or other things coursing through their veins.

Your average sixty year old doesn't have much in common with a sixty year old from thirty or even twenty years ago. This guy was an accountant, that saves the knees and shoulders compared to a person who did thirty or fourth years of a trade. I'm getting into conjecture, which it's best to avoid, because I know nothing about the bloke. Just trying to make a point about the point raised by some regarding age.

Abraham
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 1:09 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Abraham » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:18 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:17 pm
Abraham wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 5:59 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 5:49 pm
So how about those 4th floor windows Abe?
Where you reckon the 2nd shooters gunfire came from?
Keep running away
I didn't say there was a second shooter. I said people have raised a whole series of questions, and its worth looking into claims before swallowing information blindly. I see you like swallowing... information that is.

Oh, and running away? From you?? Hahaha
You suggested a second shooter, You said you saw videos of gunfire from level 4...but then waffle on about it possibly being something else
Make up your mind abe...
Was it gunfire?
Or something else?
Too many questions and not enough answers is confusing you Id say
I suggested its a possibility there was a second shooter. And it remains a possibility there was a second shooter, until we have facts that prove otherwise.

That easy enough for you to understand, or do i need to get the crayons out?

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25338
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:51 pm

The fact there's no broken windows on Level 4 would suggest your foil hats on too tight.
You're not as smart as you like to think you are.
Now... Back to your crayons and more conspiracies

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:21 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm
The amazing thing though , is that the Yank gun lovers keep saying that they need guns to be safe.
Well , where was the John Wayne clones when the poo hit the fan, ( in any of these attacks)?
You'd think that there'd be hundreds of law abiding citizens streaming into the streets and defending anyone. Maybe it's all talk on their part.
On most occasions like this they must be hiding under the bed.
When the chance is there to do something good with their toys, they've run home to mummy
Typical Americans
There are thousands of documented cases every year in America where john citizen foils a robbery or an incident due to the fact he is carrying.
Americas shame isnt gun ownership, it is lack of care for the mentally ill.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9136
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:29 pm

Munk wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:21 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm
The amazing thing though , is that the Yank gun lovers keep saying that they need guns to be safe.
Well , where was the John Wayne clones when the poo hit the fan, ( in any of these attacks)?
You'd think that there'd be hundreds of law abiding citizens streaming into the streets and defending anyone. Maybe it's all talk on their part.
On most occasions like this they must be hiding under the bed.
When the chance is there to do something good with their toys, they've run home to mummy
Typical Americans
There are thousands of documented cases every year in America where john citizen foils a robbery or an incident due to the fact he is carrying.
Americas shame isnt gun ownership, it is lack of care for the mentally ill.
The Las Vegas shooter had no recorded mental health issues as far as I know. He was however able to buy 33 guns in the last 12 months. Even by American standards that's ridiculous.

I have no idea whether your claim of thousands of those incidents is true. I do know that gun homicide statistics in the USA are miles over the per capita rates in other western countries. I'd dare say there are many examples of nervous Joe Citizens killing innocent parties and family member. Or themselves whether by accident or design.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2415
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:34 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 3:19 pm
With the recent horriic scene in Las Vegas, again the great debate that is gun control has re-emergd. Imo, our country is a good example of how gun reform works. We haven't had a mass shooting since the Howard Government introduced the buyback program after Port Arthur in 1996. We're lucky in the sense that we can feel safe enough going to concerts and football games knowing this rubbish won't happen. I don't understand Americans who say they need a gun for protection, when taking away guns would be taking them away from those who they need to protect themselves from. They pride themselves on being leaders of the free world, yet their gun laws are third world. This year alone there has been 272 incidents of mass shootings of 4 people or more.

It seems like a vicious cycle. They want their guns to feel safe, but it opens the door to other nut jobs too. What sort of society can condone its citizins arming themselves with assault rifles. The guy in Vegas had an arsenal. But hey, if it makes American's feel safe
Not sure that we can be sure that this rubbish can't happen here,It can happen anywhere that there's some sicko nut jobs who have a religious or some other twisted barrow to push.
The amazing thing though , is that the Yank gun lovers keep saying that they need guns to be safe.
Well , where was the John Wayne clones when the poo hit the fan, ( in any of these attacks)?
You'd think that there'd be hundreds of law abiding citizens streaming into the streets and defending anyone. Maybe it's all talk on their part.
On most occasions like this they must be hiding under the bed.
When the chance is there to do something good with their toys, they've run home to mummy
Typical Americans
I'm watching Death Wish 111 now with Bronson about to unleash "wilby" which looks like an auto 44 magnum. He just shot the "giggler" in the back at 40 metres with all the neighbourhood cheering? I don't think that's the type of suburb I'd want to live in. :shock:

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:12 am

Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:29 pm
Munk wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:21 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm
The amazing thing though , is that the Yank gun lovers keep saying that they need guns to be safe.
Well , where was the John Wayne clones when the poo hit the fan, ( in any of these attacks)?
You'd think that there'd be hundreds of law abiding citizens streaming into the streets and defending anyone. Maybe it's all talk on their part.
On most occasions like this they must be hiding under the bed.
When the chance is there to do something good with their toys, they've run home to mummy
Typical Americans
There are thousands of documented cases every year in America where john citizen foils a robbery or an incident due to the fact he is carrying.
Americas shame isnt gun ownership, it is lack of care for the mentally ill.
The Las Vegas shooter had no recorded mental health issues as far as I know. He was however able to buy 33 guns in the last 12 months. Even by American standards that's ridiculous.

I have no idea whether your claim of thousands of those incidents is true. I do know that gun homicide statistics in the USA are miles over the per capita rates in other western countries. I'd dare say there are many examples of nervous Joe Citizens killing innocent parties and family member. Or themselves whether by accident or design.
Statistics formed through data retrieval from the Centres for Disease Control points to gun homicide rates decreasing year on year since 1993 in America whilst gun ownership has rapidly increased. 3.6 gun related homicides/100k people at the last recording. The FBI backs this up. Excluding handguns, you are just as likely to be murdered by a knife.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9136
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:34 am

Munk wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:12 am
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:29 pm
Munk wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:21 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 8:29 pm
The amazing thing though , is that the Yank gun lovers keep saying that they need guns to be safe.
Well , where was the John Wayne clones when the poo hit the fan, ( in any of these attacks)?
You'd think that there'd be hundreds of law abiding citizens streaming into the streets and defending anyone. Maybe it's all talk on their part.
On most occasions like this they must be hiding under the bed.
When the chance is there to do something good with their toys, they've run home to mummy
Typical Americans
There are thousands of documented cases every year in America where john citizen foils a robbery or an incident due to the fact he is carrying.
Americas shame isnt gun ownership, it is lack of care for the mentally ill.
The Las Vegas shooter had no recorded mental health issues as far as I know. He was however able to buy 33 guns in the last 12 months. Even by American standards that's ridiculous.

I have no idea whether your claim of thousands of those incidents is true. I do know that gun homicide statistics in the USA are miles over the per capita rates in other western countries. I'd dare say there are many examples of nervous Joe Citizens killing innocent parties and family member. Or themselves whether by accident or design.
Statistics formed through data retrieval from the Centres for Disease Control points to gun homicide rates decreasing year on year since 1993 in America whilst gun ownership has rapidly increased. 3.6 gun related homicides/100k people at the last recording. The FBI backs this up. Excluding handguns, you are just as likely to be murdered by a knife.
It's past midnight so I'm not going to look at the causality but a reduction in per capita homicides is only impressive in you're not coming from a very high base. As it stands now it's still massively above other developed countries - second place isn't even close. Gun ownership may be up but is the number of gun owners up or is it blown out by individuals owning many guns?

Excluding hand guns? That's a massive exclusion.

voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:48 am

Munk wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:12 am
Statistics formed through data retrieval from the Centres for Disease Control points to gun homicide rates decreasing year on year since 1993 in America whilst gun ownership has rapidly increased. 3.6 gun related homicides/100k people at the last recording. The FBI backs this up. Excluding handguns, you are just as likely to be murdered by a knife.
I'm sure your stats will be comforting to the families of the >11,000 dead from gunshots this year.
Suffering supporter since 1967

Locked

Return to “General Discussion”