Rugby League's greatest ever grand final upset

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Rugby League's greatest ever grand final upset

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 1:37 am

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/con ... 0390364111

Fantastic interview. So much detailed information into another eara of Rugby League.
Ian Heads is a cut above journalism of today.

Do yourself a favour and have a listen.

P.S. Both links work, just two different ways of listening to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/co ... 17/8729758
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 6:10 pm

With Tigers winning 11-2 no tactics by Tigers could deny them their entitlement. If Souths could not score a try then they don't deserve a win - stiff cheddar.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:55 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 6:10 pm
With Tigers winning 11-2 no tactics by Tigers could deny them their entitlement. If Souths could not score a try then they don't deserve a win - stiff cheddar.
For once I agree with you BBF.

"Pride of the League" were well beaten.... loved every 1/1000th of a second of it!!! Lol.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 10:03 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:55 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 6:10 pm
For once I agree with you BBF.

"Pride of the League" were well beaten.... loved every 1/1000th of a second of it!!! Lol.
If Tigers did use a lay down mise're to prevent Rabbitohs scoring then the Rabbitohs deserved it for baiting Beetson the previous game and getting him sent off.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:06 pm

PFFFT!
Souths are just whingers and have looked for every excuse from that day on to get over the fact they were outplayed by a better team.
They seem to forget that it wasn't the first time Balmain beat them that year, and Souths also only snuck in by a point playing 12 men after Beetson was sent off in the final two weeks previously.
And still, without Beetson in the GF, the Tigers never looked like losing.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 10:47 pm

What I did not like about Ian Heads is that it only struck him some time, even weeks, after the game and others' whinging that Tigers may have used lay down tactics. When watching the game he did not have that opinion. Shows that he is not that bright or is easily swayed by others or likes jumping on whatever is flavour of the month.

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 9:26 am

I think you are being a bit hard on him BBF.

The majority of people at the time thought they were the better side and never really thought about the fact they could have been feigning injuries imo.

Once "The Pride of the League' (always makes me laugh) started whinging about Balmain pretending to be injured to slow the game down - others started jumping on the bandwagon.

"When Souffs are going well, the League is going well" - what a joke, may have been true 1908 to 1920.

Seems to me the League went alright recently, especially during the 43 years that Souffs did not win a premiership.

I think more should be said about the baiting of Beetson rather the Tigers injuries.

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”