Our immediate future

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2541
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 74 times

Our immediate future

Unread post by Harvey » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 4:43 pm

Following an ordinary couple of days I woke up wearing brown coloured glasses. I think that our recruitment may not only produce an ordinary season next year, but lock us in to the bottom on the table for years to come.
We have signed experienced first graders who are nothing special and will not improve much (Reynolds, McQueen, Matulino, Packer etc) for a lot of coin over a lot of years.
At the same time we have given fringe first graders like MCK extended deals for at least 2 seasons.
This means that we have locked up a large proportion of our cap meaning younger players with some potential (Aloiai, LoLo, Brooks etc) may be picked off by other clubs if they step up


tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by tigerap » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 4:49 pm

My glass is half full.....

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:19 pm

I like our squad excluding Reynolds and McQueen. I think we shouldn't have signed either of them and just waited until high quality talent is available.

Let's see how it goes but I think we lack class next year. Newcastle in signing Ponga and possibly Watson for instance will have some class. It'll be interesting if we perform better than Newcastle in having a more stable team whereas Newcastle to me look like they could potentially be a better team.

I think Ivan made a good point in his recent comments when he said the difference between the top and bottom teams isn't that much. Let's see how we go.

LARDS
Member
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:25 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by LARDS » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:29 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 4:43 pm
Following an ordinary couple of days I woke up wearing brown coloured glasses. I think that our recruitment may not only produce an ordinary season next year, but lock us in to the bottom on the table for years to come.
We have signed experienced first graders who are nothing special and will not improve much (Reynolds, McQueen, Matulino, Packer etc) for a lot of coin over a lot of years.
At the same time we have given fringe first graders like MCK extended deals for at least 2 seasons.
This means that we have locked up a large proportion of our cap meaning younger players with some potential (Aloiai, LoLo, Brooks etc) may be picked off by other clubs if they step up
Cheer up. We'll do alot better than you expect. We don't have any big heads. The coach is very well respected by the players. The team will be much more balanced.

will1999
Member
Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed 16 Nov, 2016 2:52 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by will1999 » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:38 pm

I don't care where we come just hope there completive games not losing by 30 points


User avatar
Roar Power
Member
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 6:16 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:44 pm

Earl wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:19 pm
I like our squad excluding Reynolds and McQueen. I think we shouldn't have signed either of them and just waited until high quality talent is available.

Let's see how it goes but I think we lack class next year. Newcastle in signing Ponga and possibly Watson for instance will have some class. It'll be interesting if we perform better than Newcastle in having a more stable team whereas Newcastle to me look like they could potentially be a better team.

I think Ivan made a good point in his recent comments when he said the difference between the top and bottom teams isn't that much. Let's see how we go.
McQueen is a gun, he will go well. Very reliable in defence and attack.

Reynolds - I think we pulled the trigger way too early on him and was somewhat in quick response to 3 of the big 4 leaving. Four years is too long - maybe flick him to super league if possible after two.

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:57 pm

I’m not overly confident .... but I predict we’ll end up at around mid table.
I think our recruitment has been good without being spectacular. Still short of one classy back and a solid second rower. That may be fixed in coming weeks if Sheens picks up Lawrence and we enter the market place again. Still lots of opportunities out there.
It will take time but it’s first brick in the wall.
As can be seen .... length of players contract is only as good as his form.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18690
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:02 pm

Guys like Reynolds, Matulino and Packer are very good signings, as is McQueen if he stays fit. I'd like to think of them as stepping stones, that will help us get consistent results. When that happens, we can set our sights on higher caliber players. A club like ours can't sign a player of Cronk's quality ATM. Hopefully in another 2 or 3 years that changes.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24955
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 333 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:04 pm

Winning Starts Monday..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
wt00
Member
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by wt00 » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:09 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:04 pm
Winning Starts Monday..
Will be our best pre season ever...
The star of the team is the team.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4343
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Snake » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:18 pm

All this player movement certainly creates some negativity around here! Just because the club does not sign one of the players on the market at the moment does not mean next season is going to be a disaster.
The cap situation has been fixed ..an astute coach is in control..recruitment has been positive,the club is taking the right approach waiting for the right time for further recruitment .
I feel the mix of the team is well balanced and if Cleary can gel them together and the injury gods are kind next season could be very positive in deed ..the signings will come over the next season or so I have no doubt.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18690
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 184 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:21 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:18 pm
All this player movement certainly creates some negativity around here! Just because the club does not sign one of the players on the market at the moment does not mean next season is going to be a disaster.
The cap situation has been fixed ..an astute coach is in control..recruitment has been positive,the club is taking the right approach waiting for the right time for further recruitment .
I feel the mix of the team is well balanced and if Cleary can gel them together and the injury gods are kind next season could be very positive in deed ..the signings will come over the next season or so I have no doubt.
I'm not sure why all the negativity. We"ve signed pretty well and this Cleary guy can apparently coach, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Telltails » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:22 pm

Im very nervous and given what we have spent we need to improve.
Although we have added some depth we have also lost our two biggest draw cards - love them or hate them - in Woods and Teddy.The last few days reinforces that real good players seem to head to clubs with other real good players unless of course they are seeking the big paycheck to see out their career.
I have faith in the coach, but the recruitment of some of our competitors in recent days has me revaluating my level of expectation.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:32 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:18 pm
All this player movement certainly creates some negativity around here! Just because the club does not sign one of the players on the market at the moment does not mean next season is going to be a disaster.
The cap situation has been fixed ..an astute coach is in control..recruitment has been positive,the club is taking the right approach waiting for the right time for further recruitment .
I feel the mix of the team is well balanced and if Cleary can gel them together and the injury gods are kind next season could be very positive in deed ..the signings will come over the next season or so I have no doubt.
I'm not that concerned about not signing Cronk or Pearce. I think marquee players are really risky because they often don't perform up to their price tag.

I'm still worried about Reynolds and McQueen especially Reynolds on big dollars for 4 years.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:34 pm

Telltails wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:22 pm
Im very nervous and given what we have spent we need to improve.
Although we have added some depth we have also lost our two biggest draw cards - love them or hate them - in Woods and Teddy.The last few days reinforces that real good players seem to head to clubs with other real good players unless of course they are seeking the big paycheck to see out their career.
I have faith in the coach, but the recruitment of some of our competitors in recent days has me revaluating my level of expectation.
Woods is a dud. I think we are much stronger in the forwards without him there especially on a dollar per player basis. Moses and Tedesco are the big losses but hopefully someone will come through and provide the spark that we need.

User avatar
notarealtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed 12 Aug, 2015 7:24 pm

Unread post by notarealtiger » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:37 pm

Never liked the signing of Reynolds, and still gutted we blew our chance of getting TMM back. Otherwise our recruitment has been pretty solid.

No-one could've predicted this kind of player movement in the off season. Although I do expect one more signing before the start of the season.

The main thing we're lacking is a playmaker that can create something. Forwards/outside backs are serviceable for now.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10437
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:57 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:04 pm
Winning Starts Monday..
Your on fire today...

Bulldogs played better without Reynolds, so I'm not too sure if he will be a good signing or not.

I'm hoping to be reading he is playing week-to-week in the Dummy Half role with Liddle by the end of 2018 heading into 2019. Hopefully that includes us buying a real 5/8.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:12 pm

Change is a good thing and could see our new players reap the reward. Our biggest issue is how our combinations gel, but our biggest plus which far outweighs any negatives is there are no more divas in the team and the players know Cleary is in charge. We just need a good run with injuries and I see us pressing for a top 8 spot.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Post Reply

Return to “Wests Tigers”