Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:33 pm

Maclaren to get a run please. Juric can ride the pine with Cahill.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:10 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:33 pm
Maclaren to get a run please. Juric can ride the pine with Cahill.
Gee that bloke just never impressed me particularly when stacked against quality opposition.
Well you may as well put him into the mix ... case the others are just showing to be bumbling stooges in front of goal.

happy tiger
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:38 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:18 pm
Leckie has to come in. We are a poorer attacking side without him and it showed in Honduras.

Also, massive LOL @ Italy... #NeverForget
Some pretty big name sides have missed out

Netherlands ,Italy ,Ghana , Cameroon and the good ol USA

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:43 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:38 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:18 pm
Leckie has to come in. We are a poorer attacking side without him and it showed in Honduras.

Also, massive LOL @ Italy... #NeverForget
Some pretty big name sides have missed out

Netherlands ,Italy ,Ghana , Cameroon and the good ol USA
Chile, Ivory Coast, Algeria, there's going to be some excellent players watching from their lounge rooms. If NZ & Australia miss out then 4/7 continental champions will not be in Russia.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:12 pm

Actually MM if Australia and NZ miss out all the confederation champions bar Portugal miss out. USA are actually CONCACAF champions. The Gold Cup is the confederation cup for CONCACAF.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm hoping if we do qualify we draw England

Marshall_magic

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:32 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:12 pm
Actually MM if Australia and NZ miss out all the confederation champions bar Portugal miss out. USA are actually CONCACAF champions. The Gold Cup is the confederation cup for CONCACAF.
I just went on the Confed cup teams (Mexico competed this year), I had Germany in there as well as world champions.

Maybe they need to expand the tournament to 48 teams........

Marshall_magic

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:34 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:15 pm
England are highly overrated these days. Hope they get drawn with Iceland for a sequel.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by FreddyK » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:40 pm

I find it rather odd that we cannot produce world class strikers on a regular basis. Our sporting teams aside from football have got some real attacking players who have real vision, flair and accompanying skill.

It is not that we have not had good strikers but it is just that we are not consistent in producing them.

One way to judge a successful striker is the number of goals scored per game or conversion rate. Probably, the greatest is Pele whose conversion rate is 92% or nearly one goal for every game he played. The best in today's game is Messi with a 79% conversion. Our best is Tim Cahill with a 30% conversion and Juric's is 29%. Viduka had a conversion rate of 47% but our best ever striker was Roy Baartz with a conversion rate of 81%. It would be nice to see some players crack that 50% conversion.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:49 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:40 pm
I find it rather odd that we cannot produce world class strikers on a regular basis. Our sporting teams aside from football have got some real attacking players who have real vision, flair and accompanying skill.

It is not that we have not had good strikers but it is just that we are not consistent in producing them.

One way to judge a successful striker is the number of goals scored per game or conversion rate. Probably, the greatest is Pele whose conversion rate is 92% or nearly one goal for every game he played. The best in today's game is Messi with a 79% conversion. Our best is Tim Cahill with a 30% conversion and Juric's is 29%. Viduka had a conversion rate of 47% but our best ever striker was Roy Baartz with a conversion rate of 81%. It would be nice to see some players crack that 50% conversion.
Viduka's figures would be highly inflated as he was fortunate to play a few games back in the old Oceania qualification days

Cahill isn't a striker , either was Kewell when we used him up front

I guess we start a AIS training plan solely set up around creating strikers , or convince some beautiful Australian women to marry some superstars strikers from around the world and we offer them a motza to become Australian citizens

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:50 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:34 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:15 pm
England are highly overrated these days. Hope they get drawn with Iceland for a sequel.
Yeah agree , my reasoning , would love to shove right up where you sun doesn't shine

They'd have no excuses if we managed a draw or win

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 9:15 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:49 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:40 pm

Viduka's figures would be highly inflated as he was fortunate to play a few games back in the old Oceania qualification days

Cahill isn't a striker , either was Kewell when we used him up front

I guess we start a AIS training plan solely set up around creating strikers , or convince some beautiful Australian women to marry some superstars strikers from around the world and we offer them a motza to become Australian citizens
Football needs to tap into & build better pathways and incentives in order to attract greater numbers of young indigenous Australians and kids with islander heritage. They have athleticism and natural abilities which are sorely needed in the sport. Currently AFL, NRL and Union are cornering the market and doing much better in selling their products in this area.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:27 am

Marshall_magic wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 8:32 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:12 pm
I just went on the Confed cup teams (Mexico competed this year), I had Germany in there as well as world champions.

Maybe they need to expand the tournament to 48 teams........
I don't think so.

What I do think is the reigning Confederation champs should get automatic placing, and then take one spot out of the allotment of places in each confederation. Unfortunately that would mean that NZ would virtually get an automatic qualification every World Cup.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:05 am

Question about away goals.

If it is a scoring draw tonight we miss out, but if we win 3 - 2 do they go through on away goals, or do we go through with the win.

In other words, away goals only kick in if the wins and draws ledger is equal, right?

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:10 am

old man tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:05 am
Question about away goals.

If it is a scoring draw tonight we miss out, but if we win 3 - 2 do they go through on away goals, or do we go through with the win.

In other words, away goals only kick in if the wins and draws ledger is equal, right?
That's right OMT, if we win we go through.

It goes based on head to head results first, so a draw and a win to us means we go through based on aggregate, doesn't matter how many goals they score tonight as long as we score more.

If it is based on draws they then look at away goals scored.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by FreddyK » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:26 pm

I hope that Ange puts four at the back. We have been caught out too often on the counter and one goal could make the difference.

Remember Japan's tactics against the Socceroos? Wait for an error and then move fast. All teams that we have played know that we make silly errors coming out of the back and most have the pace to exploit them. Fingers crossed.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 2:35 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:26 pm
I hope that Ange puts four at the back. We have been caught out too often on the counter and one goal could make the difference.

Remember Japan's tactics against the Socceroos? Wait for an error and then move fast. All teams that we have played know that we make silly errors coming out of the back and most have the pace to exploit them. Fingers crossed.
It won't happen (Ange putting four at the back.) A few unknowns with players coming back into both teams. ANZ won't be a heavy 10 like the Honduras paddock so they'll benefit from a speed pitch, I imagine a plan that relies on sitting back and beating us on the counter is very likely from them.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by eyewonder » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 3:39 pm

id prefer to see them play defensively and wait for goals.however,this does not seem to be the coaches philosphy.i think this way as an away goal by honduras could be too much for the team.The value of away goals is still clear in my memory from the iran debacle in the late 90's .they scored two away goals which
sunk us.
postecoglu is a dead man walking if we lose.it would be to his advantage to have his coaching style shown on the world stage at the world cup.
we all hope he coaches the team to a win- without penalty shootout.

Return to “Other Sports”