One Foot in Grave Forum

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4923
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: One Foot in Grave Forum

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:52 pm

eyewonder wrote:
Mon 30 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm
change for change sake is also an issue.
what i dont get is the remodelling of parra stadium.i was just getting used to the trauma of cumberland oval being demolished and now parra stadium is being pancaked.
i dont live in the area anymore but grew up with parra pool to the south and the leagues club to the north.why theyre replacing old parra stadium with a stadium which only has a capacity of 30000 seems unneccessary to me.
maybe there are better informed forumers who will correct my misinformation.
i also loved the war memorial pool which had the highest diving boards ever- now there will be no public swimming facility apart from lake parramatta.
in these instances, i believe change isnt for the better nor is neccessary.
if it aint broke,dont fix it.
do you mean the swimming pools in Granville. They were unusual in that one was heated but not indoor so you had to choose your day.

I was against the original stadium in the late seventies as they were alienating public park land. When Parra won the premiership or one of the finals there they burnt down the old wooden stools that belonged to Council. It may have been the Wran govt. Parra eventually went to Liberal Party anyway so did not do Labor any good giving up their principles.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)


eyewonder
Member
Member
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 5:02 pm

Post by eyewonder » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 5:10 pm

i dont understand why they are replacing / replaced the present stadium with a stadium that has a capacity of only 30 000 people.didnt the present stadium hold that many as it was.?
why not have a stadium which has a capacity of 100 000.?
to me its change for change sake and illogical.
besides which they ripped up the war memorial pool next door.i loved the diving board- not that i jumped off it- i just liked watching daerdevils jump.
as you get older,you have to accept change,but not when you think its unneccessary.

MG1962
Member
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 12:44 pm

Post by MG1962 » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 7:28 am

eyewonder wrote:
Tue 07 Nov, 2017 5:10 pm
i dont understand why they are replacing / replaced the present stadium with a stadium that has a capacity of only 30 000 people.didnt the present stadium hold that many as it was.?
why not have a stadium which has a capacity of 100 000.?
to me its change for change sake and illogical.
Operating costs Vs the ability to fill it.

Regardless if a facility is being used or not, it still incurs a cost. The bigger the facility the bigger the cost. The only chance the facility gets to recoup that cost is when you fill it.

That being said, the current design really goes against world trends. This new stadium looks to improve the fan experience. The reality is facilities should be built in a way that attracts people for the majority of time the facility is not being used for its primary purpose.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 9:34 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 06 Nov, 2017 9:52 pm
eyewonder wrote:
Mon 30 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm
change for change sake is also an issue.
what i dont get is the remodelling of parra stadium.i was just getting used to the trauma of cumberland oval being demolished and now parra stadium is being pancaked.
i dont live in the area anymore but grew up with parra pool to the south and the leagues club to the north.why theyre replacing old parra stadium with a stadium which only has a capacity of 30000 seems unneccessary to me.
maybe there are better informed forumers who will correct my misinformation.
i also loved the war memorial pool which had the highest diving boards ever- now there will be no public swimming facility apart from lake parramatta.
in these instances, i believe change isnt for the better nor is neccessary.
if it aint broke,dont fix it.
do you mean the swimming pools in Granville. They were unusual in that one was heated but not indoor so you had to choose your day.

I was against the original stadium in the late seventies as they were alienating public park land. When Parra won the premiership or one of the finals there they burnt down the old wooden stools that belonged to Council. It may have been the Wran govt. Parra eventually went to Liberal Party anyway so did not do Labor any good giving up their principles.
eyewonder is right - there has been a swimming pool adjacent to Cumberland oval and pirtek stadium since 1959 - it was closed this year as part of the new stadium development taking place.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 9:42 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:48 pm
eyewonder wrote:
Sun 23 Jul, 2017 3:18 pm
recently an older couple passed away in sad circumstances in the palm beach area.The carer died and her partner later died of malnutrition.
this prompted the police investigating officer to make a public plea for people to be aware of older people in the community who struggle with outside communication.
The couple were pre war babies and not baby boomers as some forumers,like myself, who log on to this forum are .
The police officer believed that adults who struggled through the war became resililient,resourceful
and community minded.As a baby boomer we all got to enjoy the golf clubs,rsls,memorial halls and parks that were created by the pre war generation.
Their generation didnt become social forumers .They relied on face to face communication- getting their groceries from the corner shops and having their social contacts in this manner.
The police officer went on to issue a plea for people to be aware of older people and check in on them every now and then.Seems like a simple thing to do.
Technology has really eroded a lot of social intereaction, ATM machines replacing bank tellers, Self seve checkouts at the supermarket, news online replacing newsagents..& on & on it goes.
I work with a young bloke who cannot hold an eye to eye conversation, he has his phone in his hand constantly and his companion at lunchtime is the powerpoint to charge it...I ignore him whenever possible because he ignores the rest of us

I like the encouragement you are giving this young man to become a full blown hermit. :D


InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 11:39 am

Bill Frisell :master: :master:










Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4923
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 12:27 pm

This Friswell guy reminds me of the Bluegrass guy outside of woollies busking -not worth recording, too slow and boring - couldn't catch a wave on that. Might be okay with a joint.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:01 pm

Marcio Faraco :master:










happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41138
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:06 pm

What about our own Tommy Emmanuel

Truly guitar genius

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:10 pm

"Quality Stupidity"

GoldXR50Leroy
Member
Member
Posts: 1857
Joined: Tue 31 May, 2011 3:36 pm

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:13 pm

eyewonder wrote:
Tue 07 Nov, 2017 5:10 pm
i dont understand why they are replacing / replaced the present stadium with a stadium that has a capacity of only 30 000 people.didnt the present stadium hold that many as it was.?
why not have a stadium which has a capacity of 100 000.?
to me its change for change sake and illogical.
besides which they ripped up the war memorial pool next door.i loved the diving board- not that i jumped off it- i just liked watching daerdevils jump.
as you get older,you have to accept change,but not when you think its unneccessary.
40 years ago when I left school I spent a week at my Aunty & Uncles place in Dundas, being from the bush they hooked me up with a neighbor who was around the same age and 3 things that stand out was going to the Parramatta pool and actually going off the high tower, going to a slot car track that was upstairs in the CBD of Parramatta and going to the movies at an old art deco style cinema to see Towering Inferno.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4923
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 7:29 am



Procol Harum with a classical version of Whiter Shade of Pale
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 05 May, 2018 4:42 pm




InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 05 May, 2018 4:43 pm

Yamin Levy




User avatar
westTAHger
Member
Member
Posts: 4770
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: With the Groovy Ghoulies

Post by westTAHger » Mon 07 May, 2018 3:45 pm

Maybe it's time to revive the " surfer sam " skateboard

http://www.surfasam.net/
Image
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2855
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 07 May, 2018 4:36 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:06 pm
What about our own Tommy Emmanuel

Truly guitar genius
Seen Tommy as support act to Mike Bolton years ago, Tommy stole the show.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29557
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 07 May, 2018 4:39 pm

westTAHger wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 3:45 pm
Maybe it's time to revive the " surfer sam " skateboard

http://www.surfasam.net/
Now there's a blast from the past... Thnx Glen

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Mon 07 May, 2018 5:13 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 4:39 pm
westTAHger wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 3:45 pm
Maybe it's time to revive the " surfer sam " skateboard

http://www.surfasam.net/
Now there's a blast from the past... Thnx Glen
Wow that is a blast from the past. Horrible things to ride, sent u flying if you rode over a grain of rice.

Post Reply