RL World Cup 2017 Thread...* SPOILERS

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25138
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 389 times

Re: RL World Cup 2017 Thread...* SPOILERS

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:34 am

Earl wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
Munk wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 10:21 pm
Woods got booed by his home crowd.
He isn't a well liked player.
Got me beat why Mal picks him..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...


Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1671
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Earl » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:36 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
Earl wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
Munk wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 10:21 pm
Woods got booed by his home crowd.
He isn't a well liked player.
Got me beat why Mal picks him..
Mal isn't that smart.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:00 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:33 am
.........
In reply to BBF - in your efforts to defend Farah at every turn, you are loosing credibility in stating that Smith does nothing more than Farah on many occasions. I dislike Smith intensely but I can see see how good he is - The difference between them is chalk and cheese.
To also clear up a point for you - the kennel do not like Farah because he would not play for them.
.........
Russell, in the first half only I watched (was buggered from hard work) Smith was a flop, I have nothing against the guy at all, at least he can kick goals to compensate. I thought it funny that the Lebs at Kennel were bagging Farah, didn't know the reason why, thanks. But even they were joking that only the hubcaps would be left in the carpark after the Lebo game but I can understand the upstanding righteous getting upset as I have a serious brother like that.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:06 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:33 am
A couple of points from last night.

Everyone is praising how good the English team have become. I think it is more that the Australian team is not living up to previous Australian teams. Very ordinary imo.

Cordner MOM - that is gee up right. Not half as good a game that Gillett had.

How bad is the 7 commentary team (not that 9 are brilliant) but if 9 got 100% then 7 would get about 53%.
As for spilling the beans on who won the Jillaroo's game at half time and again at full time - how stupid. I and a lot of friends were set to watch the replay after the men's game - no point thanks to Dopey Jim Wilson.

Do not get the bagging that is going on about Morgan - I thought he had a good game - superb at straightening the attack - also scored a try that was taken off him. I will also be shot down for this but I also think we need a new half back - Cronk's time is over, and with Thurston finished as well it will be a new world order. We have plenty of time to get it right, but will we.

Oh! and by the way - World Cup Final and Semi final - both at Suncorp - neither had full houses. Pathetic.
Pretty much disagree with all of this.
The English have improved incredibly. To hold a very good Australian team to 1 try was a bold effort.
Cordner was awesome, when he was off the field, our left side defence fell apart. When he returned, the line breaks stopped.
Chanel 7 put on a decent show. It was about the football and the whole show. It wasnt about them ala channel 9.
Morgan did not feed his backs quality ball, nor did he run it strongly. Poor game from him.
Cronk controlled the game well and him retiring leaves a massive hole and headache for Mal to sort out.
Brisbane got the games because Sydney crowds have been terrible for years. Sydney only supports origin.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:16 am

At one stage the Ch 7 cameras almost brought on my vertigo when the blue was on I think. Real amateurs. Never seen like that by professional cameramen.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)


criwdfluffer
Member
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:34 am
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:32 am

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:06 am
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:33 am
A couple of points from last night.

Everyone is praising how good the English team have become. I think it is more that the Australian team is not living up to previous Australian teams. Very ordinary imo.

Cordner MOM - that is gee up right. Not half as good a game that Gillett had.

How bad is the 7 commentary team (not that 9 are brilliant) but if 9 got 100% then 7 would get about 53%.
As for spilling the beans on who won the Jillaroo's game at half time and again at full time - how stupid. I and a lot of friends were set to watch the replay after the men's game - no point thanks to Dopey Jim Wilson.

Do not get the bagging that is going on about Morgan - I thought he had a good game - superb at straightening the attack - also scored a try that was taken off him. I will also be shot down for this but I also think we need a new half back - Cronk's time is over, and with Thurston finished as well it will be a new world order. We have plenty of time to get it right, but will we.

Oh! and by the way - World Cup Final and Semi final - both at Suncorp - neither had full houses. Pathetic.
Pretty much disagree with all of this.
The English have improved incredibly. To hold a very good Australian team to 1 try was a bold effort.
Cordner was awesome, when he was off the field, our left side defence fell apart. When he returned, the line breaks stopped.
Chanel 7 put on a decent show. It was about the football and the whole show. It wasnt about them ala channel 9.
Morgan did not feed his backs quality ball, nor did he run it strongly. Poor game from him.
Cronk controlled the game well and him retiring leaves a massive hole and headache for Mal to sort out.
Brisbane got the games because Sydney crowds have been terrible for years. Sydney only supports origin.
Yep Munk exactly how i saw it.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:33 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:33 am
A couple of points from last night.

Everyone is praising how good the English team have become. I think it is more that the Australian team is not living up to previous Australian teams. Very ordinary imo.

Cordner MOM - that is gee up right. Not half as good a game that Gillett had.

How bad is the 7 commentary team (not that 9 are brilliant) but if 9 got 100% then 7 would get about 53%.
As for spilling the beans on who won the Jillaroo's game at half time and again at full time - how stupid. I and a lot of friends were set to watch the replay after the men's game - no point thanks to Dopey Jim Wilson.

In reply to BBF - in your efforts to defend Farah at every turn, you are loosing credibility in stating that Smith does nothing more than Farah on many occasions. I dislike Smith intensely but I can see see how good he is - The difference between them is chalk and cheese.
To also clear up a point for you - the kennel do not like Farah because he would not play for them.

Do not get the bagging that is going on about Morgan - I thought he had a good game - superb at straightening the attack - also scored a try that was taken off him. I will also be shot down for this but I also think we need a new half back - Cronk's time is over, and with Thurston finished as well it will be a new world order. We have plenty of time to get it right, but will we.

Oh! and by the way - World Cup Final and Semi final - both at Suncorp - neither had full houses. Pathetic.
Russell, I agree with you about Cordner, Cronk and Morgan.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 12:25 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:34 am
Earl wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:00 am
Munk wrote:
Sat 02 Dec, 2017 10:21 pm
Woods got booed by his home crowd.
He isn't a well liked player.
Got me beat why Mal picks him..
And made him captain in Smiths absence during the finals series.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3269
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 2:07 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 11:06 am
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 10:33 am
A couple of points from last night.

Everyone is praising how good the English team have become. I think it is more that the Australian team is not living up to previous Australian teams. Very ordinary imo.

Cordner MOM - that is gee up right. Not half as good a game that Gillett had.

How bad is the 7 commentary team (not that 9 are brilliant) but if 9 got 100% then 7 would get about 53%.
As for spilling the beans on who won the Jillaroo's game at half time and again at full time - how stupid. I and a lot of friends were set to watch the replay after the men's game - no point thanks to Dopey Jim Wilson.

Do not get the bagging that is going on about Morgan - I thought he had a good game - superb at straightening the attack - also scored a try that was taken off him. I will also be shot down for this but I also think we need a new half back - Cronk's time is over, and with Thurston finished as well it will be a new world order. We have plenty of time to get it right, but will we.

Oh! and by the way - World Cup Final and Semi final - both at Suncorp - neither had full houses. Pathetic.
Pretty much disagree with all of this.
The English have improved incredibly. To hold a very good Australian team to 1 try was a bold effort.
Cordner was awesome, when he was off the field, our left side defence fell apart. When he returned, the line breaks stopped.
Chanel 7 put on a decent show. It was about the football and the whole show. It wasnt about them ala channel 9.
Morgan did not feed his backs quality ball, nor did he run it strongly. Poor game from him.
Cronk controlled the game well and him retiring leaves a massive hole and headache for Mal to sort out.
Brisbane got the games because Sydney crowds have been terrible for years. Sydney only supports origin.
Obviously you watched a different game. That's cool. Hope you enjoyed it.

I am comparing this Aussie side with the 1982 Kangaroos aka the "Invincibles" and the 1978 Kangaroos that was coached by Frank Stanton - they pale by comparison.

It would seem that Brisbane also only supports Origin by the crowds they got for the RLWC.

User avatar
TJL
Member
Member
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon 13 May, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: West Australia
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by TJL » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 2:57 pm

IMHO I believe that Tongan would have won had they played last night and if it weren't for Tom Burgess and Widdop the Poms would have won too.

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm

Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:05 pm

TJL wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 2:57 pm
IMHO I believe that Tongan would have won had they played last night and if it weren't for Tom Burgess and Widdop the Poms would have won too.
Tonga are too loose. They would have been flogged by both sides.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:07 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
Sorry Munk but I haven't seen a Kangaroo team so berefit of penetration in the centres. Renouf and ET for example would have Dugan and the other centre for breakfast. No spark no breaks and in Dugan's case plenty of breaks made down his side.

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:23 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:07 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
Sorry Munk but I haven't seen a Kangaroo team so berefit of penetration in the centres. Renouf and ET for example would have Dugan and the other centre for breakfast. No spark no breaks and in Dugan's case plenty of breaks made down his side.
The breaks came when Cordner left the field. Whoever replaced him (Graham?) did not do a great job.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3269
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:50 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
<Lets get this straight Munk - I am not complaining about just winning the RLWC.

I am suggesting that the previous teams I mentioned were much better teams and would have had last nights team for breakfast.

idiotic is not a word I embrace or use to describe someone who has a different view to mine. This is a Forum - Forums embrace differing opinions - obviously you don't. You have expressed your opinion. You do not have to call me idiotic because I do not agree with you on any of your original points.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 5:07 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:23 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:07 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
Sorry Munk but I haven't seen a Kangaroo team so berefit of penetration in the centres. Renouf and ET for example would have Dugan and the other centre for breakfast. No spark no breaks and in Dugan's case plenty of breaks made down his side.
The breaks came when Cordner left the field. Whoever replaced him (Graham?) did not do a great job.
They were also there prior to that when Dugan rushed in to take a player when he should have stayed out on his opponent. For all his size, ET would murder him in terms of his defensive ability as well as pure pace.

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:23 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:50 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
<Lets get this straight Munk - I am not complaining about just winning the RLWC.

I am suggesting that the previous teams I mentioned were much better teams and would have had last nights team for breakfast.

idiotic is not a word I embrace or use to describe someone who has a different view to mine. This is a Forum - Forums embrace differing opinions - obviously you don't. You have expressed your opinion. You do not have to call me idiotic because I do not agree with you on any of your original points.
I didnt state you were, i dont know you.
I have seen you rant about this Aussie side before though and so replied.
Comparing eras is hard but for truth, the modern footballer would demolish players from the 80's. The invincibles would be outplayed and soundly beaten.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3269
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:38 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:23 pm
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:50 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:00 pm
Well comparing the teams who played 35-40 years ago with the team last night and then complaining about only just winning the WC final is idiotic.
Btw theres no chance this squad pales in comparison. It would be extremely competitive.
<Lets get this straight Munk - I am not complaining about just winning the RLWC.

I am suggesting that the previous teams I mentioned were much better teams and would have had last nights team for breakfast.

idiotic is not a word I embrace or use to describe someone who has a different view to mine. This is a Forum - Forums embrace differing opinions - obviously you don't. You have expressed your opinion. You do not have to call me idiotic because I do not agree with you on any of your original points.
I didnt state you were, i dont know you.
I have seen you rant about this Aussie side before though and so replied.
Comparing eras is hard but for truth, the modern footballer would demolish players from the 80's. The invincibles would be outplayed and soundly beaten.

1 Greg Brentnall
2 Eric Grothe
3 Mal Meninga
4 Steve Rogers
5 Kerry Boustead
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Craig Young
9 Max Krilich (c)
10 Les Boyd
11 Wayne Pearce
12 Rod Reddy
13 Ray Price
Substitutions:
14 Wally Lewis
15 Ray Brown

Yeah, I can see how you can say these guys would have been demolished - in your dreams.

But...Whatever you say Chief - you must be right - I bow to your great knowledge. Lol

Post Reply

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”