RL World Cup 2017 Thread...* SPOILERS

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: RL World Cup 2017 Thread...* SPOILERS

Unread post by Munk » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 10:28 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:52 am
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:29 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:39 am
You are not serious are you Munk? Can you imaging Woods and Klemmer against Boyd? Boyd would have them both as an entree :D Sterling and Kenny in a league of their own compared to Cronk and co
Theyd both run over the top of him in attack and knock the double chin off him in defence.
Hed get upset and throw a punch and get sent off. Sterling and Kenny were both too weak in defence to handle the running game of Cronk and Morgan. Morgs in particular would just stroll through them.
As I stated earlier, Boyd would have them cleaned up and hauled into line quickly. Kenny was faster than both Morgan and Cronk while Sterling was faster than all of them between the ears.
Boyd would have spent half the game on his haunches. Ill disciplined thug with average talent.
Kenny was built like Hodgo and we all saw what happened to him when he tried to play rep level. Kenny thrived against semi professionals with drinking problems. Against the modern day footballer he would be hurled about the field like a frisbee.
Likewise, Sterlo was too smart for the thugs and knuckle draggers of the eighties. However Cronk has proven too clever for seasoned professional footballers.
The players of the eighties paved the way for the guys today and they have my respect for what they achieved under the conditions but they would not compete with the players of today.


goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5458
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:01 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 8:36 pm
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:38 pm
Munk wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:23 pm
Russell wrote:
Sun 03 Dec, 2017 3:50 pm


<Lets get this straight Munk - I am not complaining about just winning the RLWC.

I am suggesting that the previous teams I mentioned were much better teams and would have had last nights team for breakfast.

idiotic is not a word I embrace or use to describe someone who has a different view to mine. This is a Forum - Forums embrace differing opinions - obviously you don't. You have expressed your opinion. You do not have to call me idiotic because I do not agree with you on any of your original points.
I didnt state you were, i dont know you.
I have seen you rant about this Aussie side before though and so replied.
Comparing eras is hard but for truth, the modern footballer would demolish players from the 80's. The invincibles would be outplayed and soundly beaten.

1 Greg Brentnall
2 Eric Grothe
3 Mal Meninga
4 Steve Rogers
5 Kerry Boustead
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Craig Young
9 Max Krilich (c)
10 Les Boyd
11 Wayne Pearce
12 Rod Reddy
13 Ray Price
Substitutions:
14 Wally Lewis
15 Ray Brown

Yeah, I can see how you can say these guys would have been demolished - in your dreams.

But...Whatever you say Chief - you must be right - I bow to your great knowledge. Lol
they would not rate against our WT team of past few years ago.

The Oodnagullarbie A grade would rate highly against the WT teams of a few years ago

TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TigerTiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:10 pm

Personally, when comparing players and teams across the ages, I try to look at how they compared to their peers. Kenny and Sterling and the rest of the Eels were a great team in the 80s, by far surpassing most of their competition (maybe not the Bulldogs and the Tigers came strong by the mid late 80s).

Yes by now levels of fitness and training has improved, professionalism et cetera, there was more biff back then and more loyalty, less money too, but compare them by how they related to their peers then and you see how good they were. Look at players or teams playing now and how they compare to their peers now.

A player/team's worth is only measurable compared to their opposition, so why not take it into account?

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36308
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:17 pm

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:35 am
Why would it be played under mid 80's rule and conditions?
Russell made the claim that the old blokes would have easily beaten the current side the way they played on Saturday. To prove this they would have to play under current conditions.
The invincibles forward pack would not handle the speed. Smith would turn them inside out.
Easy win.
Depends who you pick ....

Lindner , Clyde and Sirro size and mobility

User avatar
Tbone
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:07 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Tbone » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:56 pm

Can't have it both ways. If the players of yester-year played in today's conditions they too would have access to modern sports science techniques, strength and conditions and would be full-time professionals, not chain-smoking, bear-guzzling bricklayers working full time and playing footy in the evenings.

In my opinion, the current Kangaroos team is not nearly as impressive or fluent as prior squads. They got the job done but it was hardly one of their more impressive campaigns.


Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 6:17 pm
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:35 am
Why would it be played under mid 80's rule and conditions?
Russell made the claim that the old blokes would have easily beaten the current side the way they played on Saturday. To prove this they would have to play under current conditions.
The invincibles forward pack would not handle the speed. Smith would turn them inside out.
Easy win.
Depends who you pick ....

Lindner , Clyde and Sirro size and mobility
Definitely better than Pearce, Reddy and Price.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:06 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 1:29 am
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:03 am
He was the only player booed when called up on stage. Quite loudly as well. People are sick of him.
For what reason? Because I don't watch any interviews maybe I don't understand.
Most fans think he ambles up to the line and takes soft hit-ups. This isn't Tigers fans who are biased. It's fans in general including Dogs fans.
Last edited by Earl on Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18809
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:23 pm

Earl wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:06 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 1:29 am
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 12:03 am
He was the only player booed when called up on stage. Quite loudly as well. People are sick of him.
For what reason? Because I don't watch any interviews maybe I don't understand.
Most fans think he ambles up the line and takes soft hit-ups. This isn't Tigers fans who are biased. It's fans in general including Dogs fans.
Dogs fans are apoplectic with his signing.

User avatar
Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Second Heaven
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:43 pm

Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 10:28 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:52 am
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:29 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 7:39 am
You are not serious are you Munk? Can you imaging Woods and Klemmer against Boyd? Boyd would have them both as an entree :D Sterling and Kenny in a league of their own compared to Cronk and co
Theyd both run over the top of him in attack and knock the double chin off him in defence.
Hed get upset and throw a punch and get sent off. Sterling and Kenny were both too weak in defence to handle the running game of Cronk and Morgan. Morgs in particular would just stroll through them.
As I stated earlier, Boyd would have them cleaned up and hauled into line quickly. Kenny was faster than both Morgan and Cronk while Sterling was faster than all of them between the ears.
Boyd would have spent half the game on his haunches. Ill disciplined thug with average talent.
Kenny was built like Hodgo and we all saw what happened to him when he tried to play rep level. Kenny thrived against semi professionals with drinking problems. Against the modern day footballer he would be hurled about the field like a frisbee.
Likewise, Sterlo was too smart for the thugs and knuckle draggers of the eighties. However Cronk has proven too clever for seasoned professional footballers.
The players of the eighties paved the way for the guys today and they have my respect for what they achieved under the conditions but they would not compete with the players of today.
Guys this really is a moot argument. Comparing different eras in sport just doesn't work, too many variables to take into account. The teams of the 1980s are now history, we can only really focus on the present.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36308
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:53 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:43 pm
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 10:28 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:52 am
Munk wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 8:29 am


Theyd both run over the top of him in attack and knock the double chin off him in defence.
Hed get upset and throw a punch and get sent off. Sterling and Kenny were both too weak in defence to handle the running game of Cronk and Morgan. Morgs in particular would just stroll through them.
As I stated earlier, Boyd would have them cleaned up and hauled into line quickly. Kenny was faster than both Morgan and Cronk while Sterling was faster than all of them between the ears.
Boyd would have spent half the game on his haunches. Ill disciplined thug with average talent.
Kenny was built like Hodgo and we all saw what happened to him when he tried to play rep level. Kenny thrived against semi professionals with drinking problems. Against the modern day footballer he would be hurled about the field like a frisbee.
Likewise, Sterlo was too smart for the thugs and knuckle draggers of the eighties. However Cronk has proven too clever for seasoned professional footballers.
The players of the eighties paved the way for the guys today and they have my respect for what they achieved under the conditions but they would not compete with the players of today.
Guys this really is a moot argument. Comparing different eras in sport just doesn't work, too many variables to take into account. The teams of the 1980s are now history, we can only really focus on the present.
It is Spud , but it would be one hell of a match up

Much like Tyson v Ali , Laver v Federer , Navratilova v Serena Williams , Bradman 1948 side v Steve Waugh's side , Happy v Geo ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”