NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 224 times

Kent on Hayne

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:37 pm

NRL making it up as they go along again?
JARRYD Hayne’s $700,000 salary sacrifice to join Parramatta may have been made under noble pretences but the terms of the deal has got many people across the game scratching their heads.

The NRL must consider a player’s notional value before green lighting any contracts and NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent sees no way that could be the case with Hayne’s Eels return.

Speaking on Fox Sports News 500, a fired-up Kent tore into the NRL over their failure to show the rigour needed in evaluating the Hayne deal.

The senior News Corp journalist even launched at a conspiracy theory, tabling the idea that getting Hayne’s salary off the Titans books could help the NRL-owned club’s imminent sale to private investors.

“To be honest, I think the whole thing stinks. I think there’s a smell about this,” Kent said.

“I don’t see how the NRL can justify Jarryd Hayne taking a $1.2 million deal, walking out on it and being allowed to get under the cap at Parramatta for $500,000.

“I’ve got no concept of me can figure out why that’s a fair deal.

“The NRL, I’ve spoken to them today about it, they’ve argued that’s what Jarryd’s current market value is, but how do you establish that?

“The fact is, he hasn’t gone to market and if you try to sign any other player in the NRL and try to take $700,000 off his contract price, I don’t think the NRL would register it.”

Kent said he had several theories for why the NRL might bend the rules to help the Titans and Parramatta get the controversial deal through without fuss.

“Let’s also remember that they are an NRL-owned club at the present and the NRL are trying to offload them, so to get rid of that (Hayne’s contract) off the bottom line, maybe that helps as well.” Kent said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4641d30c85

softlaw
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by softlaw » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:54 pm

does anyone here think he's worth $500k? I reckon about $350k tops these days.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 7:57 pm

The league will just ignore it until it goes away, much like the chooks and donkeys cap every year.
Go hard or go home

Munk
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:03 pm

I thought Kenty spoke excellently on this topic last night.
What a shambles this whole 18 months have been for Hayne, Parra, Titans and the NRL.
This stinks to high heaven.

Nelson
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:13 pm

I don't see a problem with it. He was a speculative signing given his time away from the game and the Titans paid crazy money in part because they hoped he would be a crowd puller. He has utterly failed to deliver both on and off the field. As a player his value has plummeted and as a marketing tool his value has plummeted. He has however substantially enhanced his status as an actual tool.

supercoach
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:15 pm

Nothing ever changes at NRL HQ. We were led to believe that Greenberg was going to be the Messiah but how wrong people were. If anything is going to kill the game, it will be the people who run it

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:18 pm

Far out this sort of thing fires me up. I’m so sick of the inequity in the NRL. The draw is a joke, third party agreements are a joke, the salary cap is rorted, some teams are refereed differently to others....... and those charged with the responsibility to govern couldn’t grow a choko vine over a sh#%house. I’d say rant over but I doubt it is .......

basketcase
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by basketcase » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:37 pm

As owners of Titans the NRL were prepared to pay him $1,2m.
Now they OK him at $500K

Head spin????

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:41 pm

I am pleased that Cleary didnt chase the dropkick.I wouldnt want him at the club under any circumstances

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:51 pm

I think Parra will get instant karma

He will bring the club back to earth

Worst recruitment decision of 2018

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Balmainbred » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:52 pm

Wonder how Neil Henry feels, Arthur must have balls of steel. Parra can have the grub.

Munk
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:59 pm

Nelson wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:13 pm
I don't see a problem with it. He was a speculative signing given his time away from the game and the Titans paid crazy money in part because they hoped he would be a crowd puller. He has utterly failed to deliver both on and off the field. As a player his value has plummeted and as a marketing tool his value has plummeted. He has however substantially enhanced his status as an actual tool.
You dont see any problem with a player breaking a contract and taking a $700 000 pay reduction to join a club busted for salary cap rorts only a year and a bit ago? That doesnt set any red flags up for you?

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:51 pm

The writing is on the wall. The guy is toxic.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 393 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:

You haven't been following..Peta Godinet..

The nominal value is really a guide
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:27 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:03 pm
happy tiger wrote:

The writing is on the wall. The guy is toxic.
I'd rather have Robbie back than the Hayne Stain

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:31 pm

Can I just say , the story they ran after the Hayne story is far worse

Supposedly the player managers involved in the Parra 2016 debacle are going to front the NRL soon

And they are basically saying they will bring the whole TPA story down and they are saying that Greenburg himself might get rolled in as well

But not every player manager is going to be charged that is involved .....

It annoys me , the people in charge of the game are too scared to stand up to anyone since the SL war , they are scared clubs will run off again and start their own comp

Nelson
Has liked: 13 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:44 pm

Munk wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:59 pm
Nelson wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 8:13 pm
You dont see any problem with a player breaking a contract and taking a $700 000 pay reduction to join a club busted for salary cap rorts only a year and a bit ago? That doesnt set any red flags up for you?
He didn't break a contract, they agreed to release him because he wasn't worth anywhere near the cash he was taking up and was and is a toxic figure. His ego is probably what drove him back to Parra. He sniffed the possibility of a premiership and wants to be celebrated as the prodigal son returned to lead them to glory (and if they do win that will probably be the narrative in his head regardless of the reality).

I don't think the NRL could stop him taking a massive pay cut, that would be a restraint of trade. They could however refuse to register the contract as anything less than a nominal market value against Parra's cap. $500K does not seem to be grossly outside his market value at this time. Ferguson has tainted his market value with off field crap. SKD compromised his market value with off field crap. It happens...

Telltails
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:50 pm

Such a fall from grace for Jarryd Hayne. I do believe that Parramatta is the only club that he could possibly resurrect his career with. At $500k I guess they decided it was a risk worth taking.

Return to “National Rugby League”