McQueen upbeat despite Tigers coach switch

Tacky

McQueen upbeat despite Tigers coach switch

Post by Tacky » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 7:04 pm

Wests Tigers recruit Chris McQueen could have been forgiven for feeling unwanted by Ivan Cleary after being the club's final signing for 2018 by Jason Taylor before the coach was sacked.

McQueen was announced as the joint venture's first major recruit for 2018 in April, two weeks following the dismissal of Taylor, but the 30-year-old revealed all his discussions about the club's future were with the former Wests Tigers coach until late in the piece.

The former Queensland forward had only known Cleary for "less than a week" while in camp for the Prime Minster's XIII in 2015 before putting pen to paper on a three-year deal to link with his third club in four seasons.

"I came down and met with the club when the negotiations were pretty much finalised around the week when Taylor departed," McQueen told NRL.com.

"He was still here then and I worked with him at the Rabbitohs so we had that working relationship. I thought he knew his stuff then and was a great coach. It was unfortunate what happened with him in the end but that's what happens in rugby league.

"I felt like my negotiations with the Titans and Tigers had run their course and was in a comfortable enough position to make that decision."

What followed was a barrage of off-field distractions led by the futures of key men Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco.

They announced their departures within the space of a month, but McQueen remained confident of Cleary's direction despite watching the local juniors move on.

"The whole time everything was happening I was in constant communication with the club and there was never any questioning whether I was going to come or not," McQueen said.

"I liked what they did in 2016. I saw it as a club rebuilding despite all the rumours about players coming and going. When that stuff is going on at a club you know while there are dramas in the short term, things are going in the right direction and is building something.

"We've got all the ingredients to have a good team here."

The Kingaroy junior missed the final three months of the competition after succumbing to chronic neck pain and revealed he consulted former teammates Kyle Turner and Nathan Peats before undergoing season-ending surgery in August.

"It's coming along well, it's been nearly five months since and I'm back into full training," he said.

"It got to a point where every tackle I was getting those burners. I went and had different tests and there were signs of nerve damage. That was the scary part for me, the risk of long-term injury and especially the fact I had just signed a three-year deal. I didn't want to jeopardise that.

"I get my six-month check-up on the 10th of January and hopefully I get the green light to be able to rip into everything. With the contact we're being overly cautious, there is still plenty of time before the season starts."

McQueen welcomed the depth in the new-look Wests Tigers squad after finding himself in four positions during his 13-game season at the Titans in 2017.

He shifted between the back row and centres as the Titans' injury toll continued to worsen, and even found himself in the halves for his final game.

"It was a situation where it didn't matter if we were good or bad, everyone was going to be in the team week-to-week," McQueen said.

"And that's not always the best thing because you want boys fighting for their position.

"It gives you a boost and keeps boys on edge knowing if you're not going to show up and do hard work or play good footy, there is someone else waiting."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/15/mcq ... ch-switch/
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 10:02 pm

Hope he has a blinder 2018 and help lead us into the top 8.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

willow

Post by willow » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 5:41 am

Hope he gets the green light in January to ramp up his contact work. I like the balance of our forward pack on paper and I'm hopeful McQueen helps fix up our edge defence.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 10:52 am

I really hope he is good to go in 2018. He'll be great for us in the back row if he recovers from his neck injury.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 1:24 pm

willow wrote:
Sat 16 Dec, 2017 5:41 am
Hope he gets the green light in January to ramp up his contact work. I like the balance of our forward pack on paper and I'm hopeful McQueen helps fix up our edge defence.
I dunno looking at McQueen's output in the past 2 seasons is very similar to Lawrence..yet just about everyone has Rowdy in reserve grade..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 2:42 pm

If he is average, will be able to put the boot into JT for a couple more years.

Post by 851 » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 3:22 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 16 Dec, 2017 1:24 pm
willow wrote:
I dunno looking at McQueen's output in the past 2 seasons is very similar to Lawrence..yet just about everyone has Rowdy in reserve grade..
He was going great last year until injury hampered his form, if he is fit he will be a good signing.
Go hard or go home

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 10:11 pm

851 wrote:
Sat 16 Dec, 2017 3:22 pm
He was going great last year until injury hampered his form, if he is fit he will be a good signing.
Yeah ,great player if fit ,Souths sure missed him.
Still a gamble thou.,like Ballin & Reynolds there is a question mark on him surviving a tough season but time will tell.
Most online bookies have us Fav. for the spoon so some tempting odds out there for the Tiges to make the 8.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 8:06 am

Handy back rower but is he the answer to our back row needs ?

Not sure , I think we needed some size and power , intimidation

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:09 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 17 Dec, 2017 8:06 am

We got that with Packer.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 1:00 pm

happy tiger wrote:

I think we have some size, power and intimidation in our front row. I'm happy for McQueen to shore up one edge.

Living on the coast, I got to see a fair bit of him last year. I reckon he was in great form before injury struck.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:41 pm

Masterton wrote:
Sun 17 Dec, 2017 1:00 pm
happy tiger wrote:

I think we have some size, power and intimidation in our front row. I'm happy for McQueen to shore up one edge.

Living on the coast, I got to see a fair bit of him last year. I reckon he was in great form before injury struck.
We need some size and power in the red zone for both Reynolds and brooks

willow

Post by willow » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 5:38 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:41 pm
Masterton wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Aloiai offers that, I thought he finished the season very strongly and was denting the line well. Pretty sure he scored a couple of late season tries through some hard running and his game against the Roosters was a standout as he really troubled their edge defence.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 4:55 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 18 Dec, 2017 5:38 am
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:41 pm
Masterton wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Aloiai offers that, I thought he finished the season very strongly and was denting the line well. Pretty sure he scored a couple of late season tries through some hard running and his game against the Roosters was a standout as he really troubled their edge defence.
Aloiai is definitely our crash man!
He runs with fire in his eyes that kid, he is hands down our power in the red zone.
Also have Twal and Marsters both have different attributes but having diversity is a fresh change.

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 8:55 pm

Steve (McQueen) holds his own and is not a weak link. He may not be a rampaging line bending machine but don't underestimate his value in the side. I believe he will be a certain starter if fit.

Post by 2041 » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 3:11 pm

851 wrote:
Geo. wrote:
willow wrote:
...and once again the Tigers have given a multi-year deal to someone who, to paraphrase, hopes they're going to be able to play again. The injury was known about when we signed him, too, so there'll be no cap relief when he has to give up the game next July after the injury doesn't respond to treatment. Clearly zero lessons learned from the Ballin debacle: just keep signing crocks and hoping for the best.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 3:15 pm

2041 wrote:
Tue 26 Dec, 2017 3:11 pm
851 wrote:
Geo. wrote:
willow wrote:
...and once again the Tigers have given a multi-year deal to someone who, to paraphrase, hopes they're going to be able to play again. The injury was known about when we signed him, too, so there'll be no cap relief when he has to give up the game next July after the injury doesn't respond to treatment. Clearly zero lessons learned from the Ballin debacle: just keep signing crocks and hoping for the best.
There has been no indication that he won't make anything less than a full recovery.......

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 8:08 pm

JT owns that decision so not much we can do.

Lets hope it proves to be an excellent choice.