McQueen upbeat despite Tigers coach switch

Roar Power

Re: McQueen upbeat despite Tigers coach switch

Post by Roar Power » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 9:11 pm

I was excited when McQueen signed on. He is great both offensively and defensively and definitely an above average 1st grader who I think will really put in for the team.

I really do think we have the ingredients for a really competitive side in 2018. Much stronger across the board than last season and Ivan holds the psychological key to the guys believing in themselves and the fact they can compete with the better sides. I am feeling good about next season.

Post by 2041 » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:42 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 26 Dec, 2017 3:15 pm
2041 wrote:
Tue 26 Dec, 2017 3:11 pm
851 wrote:
Sat 16 Dec, 2017 3:22 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 16 Dec, 2017 1:24 pm

I dunno looking at McQueen's output in the past 2 seasons is very similar to Lawrence..yet just about everyone has Rowdy in reserve grade..
He was going great last year until injury hampered his form, if he is fit he will be a good signing.
...and once again the Tigers have given a multi-year deal to someone who, to paraphrase, hopes they're going to be able to play again. The injury was known about when we signed him, too, so there'll be no cap relief when he has to give up the game next July after the injury doesn't respond to treatment. Clearly zero lessons learned from the Ballin debacle: just keep signing crocks and hoping for the best.
There has been no indication that he won't make anything less than a full recovery.......
Same as Ballin, right?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:47 pm

2041 wrote:
Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:42 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
2041 wrote:
851 wrote:
Sat 16 Dec, 2017 3:22 pm

He was going great last year until injury hampered his form, if he is fit he will be a good signing.
...and once again the Tigers have given a multi-year deal to someone who, to paraphrase, hopes they're going to be able to play again. The injury was known about when we signed him, too, so there'll be no cap relief when he has to give up the game next July after the injury doesn't respond to treatment. Clearly zero lessons learned from the Ballin debacle: just keep signing crocks and hoping for the best.
There has been no indication that he won't make anything less than a full recovery.......
Same as Ballin, right?
Ballin was still in rehab at this point in the off season when he got here, and wasn't fit till about round 10. McQueen is already back on the park and is expecting to get the green light for full contact in the next couple of weeks. Not really comparable.

Post by 2041 » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 9:31 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:47 pm
2041 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
2041 wrote:

Same as Ballin, right?
Ballin was still in rehab at this point in the off season when he got here, and wasn't fit till about round 10. McQueen is already back on the park and is expecting to get the green light for full contact in the next couple of weeks. Not really comparable.
What was McQueen's status when he actually signed with the Tigers?

Oh, and much as he says he's in full training:

"I get my six-month check-up on the 10th of January and hopefully I get the green light to be able to rip into everything. With the contact we're being overly cautious."

Yeah that sounds like he's totally good to go for 24 games next season. He had nerve damage and was getting burners every tackle, and six months after surgery he's still waiting for clearance to resume contact. If you think this guy isn't a massive risk to miss serious playing time you have your head in the clouds.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 9:38 am

2041 wrote:
Wed 27 Dec, 2017 9:31 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
2041 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Same as Ballin, right?

"I get my six-month check-up on the 10th of January and hopefully I get the green light to be able to rip into everything. With the contact we're being overly cautious."

Yeah that sounds like he's totally good to go for 24 games next season. He had nerve damage and was getting burners every tackle, and six months after surgery he's still waiting for clearance to resume contact. If you think this guy isn't a massive risk to miss serious playing time you have your head in the clouds.
Once he gets the green light, I don't see what the issue is. As you said, he's had the surgery. It's taken 6 months, because he's had the luxury of the off season. Why rush it when he has time to ease back in? There has been no indication that he hasn't been on track for anything less than a full recovery. Don't let boogie man Ballin spook you.

Post by 2041 » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 10:19 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 27 Dec, 2017 9:38 am
2041 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
2041 wrote:

Same as Ballin, right?

Once he gets the green light, I don't see what the issue is. As you said, he's had the surgery. It's taken 6 months, because he's had the luxury of the off season. Why rush it when he has time to ease back in? There has been no indication that he hasn't been on track for anything less than a full recovery. Don't let boogie man Ballin spook you.
The biggest predictive factor of future injury is past injury. The second biggest is age. McQueen has both, in a big way.

The mistake isn't signing a player because I think he's somehow the same as Matt Ballin. The mistake is signing an ageing player carrying a major, major injury. I'm not scared of the Ballin situation happening again, I'm saying there is far too high a chance of the Ballin situation happening again because the Tigers have made the exact same mistake: signing an ageing player who hasn't yet demonstrated he can come back from a serious injury he was carrying when he was signed. And for multiple years!

Look, it's possible that McQueen will play 20+ games every year of his contract. But it's much, much less likely than it ought to be based on the contract he's been given. He's a highly risky signing - and that's a fact.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 8:39 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t we sign McQueen in April and didn’t he hurt his neck in June but kept playing till end of July?

I’m sure I read somewhere that he kept playing because he wanted to get picked for the England world cup squad.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 12:54 am

2041 wrote:
Wed 27 Dec, 2017 10:19 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 27 Dec, 2017 9:38 am
2041 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

The biggest predictive factor of future injury is past injury. The second biggest is age. McQueen has both, in a big way.

The mistake isn't signing a player because I think he's somehow the same as Matt Ballin. The mistake is signing an ageing player carrying a major, major injury. I'm not scared of the Ballin situation happening again, I'm saying there is far too high a chance of the Ballin situation happening again because the Tigers have made the exact same mistake: signing an ageing player who hasn't yet demonstrated he can come back from a serious injury he was carrying when he was signed. And for multiple years!

Look, it's possible that McQueen will play 20+ games every year of his contract. But it's much, much less likely than it ought to be based on the contract he's been given. He's a highly risky signing - and that's a fact.
Look the biggest problem could be if he does play 24 games

He doesn't offer impact for my liking , and if the Titans were using him as a centre with their lack of impact in the back row due to injuries that is more concerning

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:37 am

I am hoping Chris proves my gut instinct wrong.

If he like some of the others can shine for a season or two we just may avoid the spoon.

We are a team of off-cuts IMO.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:50 am

Spartan117 wrote:
Thu 28 Dec, 2017 11:37 am
I am hoping Chris proves my gut instinct wrong.

If he like some of the others can shine for a season or two we just may avoid the spoon.

We are a team of off-cuts IMO.
We've avoided the spoon for 17 years. I think we'll be okay in 2018.