Cleary's - "back to the future" prediction ?!

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tiger Steve

Re: Cleary's - "back to the future" prediction ?!

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 4:58 pm

If you read the latest feature article on the web site about Brooks, he says the Tigers are going to be throwing the ball around a fair bit. Maybe that’s what Cleary was hinting at...
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 7:44 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm
Reynolds, Brooks, and Marshall all instinctive type players - still think we may have a little
ad lib left in us yet.
I think you can add Lolohea to that list. He looked our most dangerous player late last year, I'm excited to see him with a bit more room out the back.
He had some good moments in the World Cup too, so hopefully with some decent coaching he can work some combinations.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:27 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:47 am
gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:16 am
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 6:40 am
gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 12:48 am

Yes. Definitely a more rounded side than we've had previously. I look forward to the tough style. And the coach being in control.
Cleary structures will be nothing like Taylor ball.
I agree. My comment isn't about what Cleary is doing. Its about some fans reaction if we don't have immediate success.
You will always get fans who demand "immediate success"personally i will be more than happy to see a continuation of what Cleary bought to the club after the disaster of JT.A sense of pride amongst the players and a will to win and never give up attitude goes a long way to make the majority of fans happy.
We now have the right man to guide our future, i dont expect miracles this year but at least i feel we are finally going in the right direction.

It's interesting to compare the difference in their coaching philosophies . Like chalk and cheese .

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:29 pm

barra wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 7:44 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm
Reynolds, Brooks, and Marshall all instinctive type players - still think we may have a little
ad lib left in us yet.
I think you can add Lolohea to that list. He looked our most dangerous player late last year, I'm excited to see him with a bit more room out the back.
He had some good moments in the World Cup too, so hopefully with some decent coaching he can work some combinations.
His got good support around him with hodgo and cleary. Hopefully has a breakout year.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:00 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 4:58 pm
If you read the latest feature article on the web site about Brooks, he says the Tigers are going to be throwing the ball around a fair bit. Maybe that’s what Cleary was hinting at...
Yeh...clearys cryptic quip came to me reading Brooks fluff.piece too

Plato

Post by Plato » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:52 am

Could "back to the future" mean an encore for Farah to play his final season alongside Marshall? Liddle has an ongoing injury, Robbie looks like playing second fiddle to Cook if he stays at Souths, and contracts don't mean much these days. Probably not, just thinking out loud....

4jtigers
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by 4jtigers » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:02 am

Plato wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:52 am
Could "back to the future" mean an encore for Farah to play his final season alongside Marshall? Liddle has an ongoing injury, Robbie looks like playing second fiddle to Cook if he stays at Souths, and contracts don't mean much these days. Probably not, just thinking out loud....
Please don't even mention RF in the picture here... we are moving forward not backwards.
Old Ways won't Open New Doors – author uknown

Plato

Post by Plato » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:32 am

It's worth a thought though. A rep hooker for spare change and he still has plenty to offer. Isn't he a Tigers life member or something like that?

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 2:09 pm

My opinion is no thanks for RF, not now. All the drama still too fresh.

Nothing against him, he was great for our club, but it would only drag us down into the dramatics again.

And we don't need a hooker. We have Liddle (albeit recovering from injury), McIlwrick, Taylor, Jeynolds, even Gamble in a pinch.

I'm curious to see how Lolo and our centres go, thinking is that where we need strengthening in 2019??
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 2:14 pm

Hang on . . . I think I've solved it !!!!!
"Back to the future " means that we will have the De Lorean Motor Company as club sponsor in 2018/19 financial year.
Not only is this a direct tie-in to the Movie of the same name, but it also harks back to our last success in '05 when we were sponsored by the Proton Car group.
We will summon the souls of MJF and the Doc to teach Brooks how to make decent 5th tackle choices. . . . using the hoverboard principle.
This must be it !!!!!!
Everything fits perfectly !!!!!
I'm gonna angle grind the door hinges on the Disco and weld them suckers on the roof pillar in anticipation of the popularity resurgence of the defining DeLorean feature.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 3:43 pm

Go You Good Things wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 2:14 pm
"Back to the future " means that we will have the De Lorean Motor Company as club sponsor in 2018/19 financial year.
Not only is this a direct tie-in to the Movie of the same name, but it also harks back to our last success in '05 when we were sponsored by the Proton Car group.
We will summon the souls of MJF and the Doc to teach Brooks how to make decent 5th tackle choices. . . . using the hoverboard principle.
This must be it !!!!!!
I'm gonna angle grind the door hinges on the Disco and weld them suckers on the roof pillar in anticipation of the popularity resurgence of the defining DeLorean feature.
I think I’ve said this before: looooooong off season ....

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 5:48 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 3:43 pm
This must be it !!!!!!
Yep, sure is Steve.
Let's not lose sight of the fact we are discussing this in a 3 page thread based solely on guessing what our coach meant by a particular throw-away line.
Some said a return to 2005 footy. Some said Robbie Farah. Some said the Flux Capacitor. Each idea as smart or dumb as each other, but only one was taking the mickey.
This kind of stupidity is what off-seasons are there for. As dumb as devoting 29 pages to "pick a name that has ever played RL and link him to joining our club"
Kick back and enjoy the off season mate. Soon enough we'll be chin-deep in proper footy discussions.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 7:23 pm

Thu 11 Jan, 2018 5:48 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 3:43 pm
This must be it !!!!!!
Yep, sure is Steve.
Let's not lose sight of the fact we are discussing this in a 3 page thread based solely on guessing what our coach meant by a particular throw-away line.
Some said a return to 2005 footy. Some said Robbie Farah. Some said the Flux Capacitor. Each idea as smart or dumb as each other, but only one was taking the mickey.
This kind of stupidity is what off-seasons are there for. As dumb as devoting 29 pages to "pick a name that has ever played RL and link him to joining our club"
Kick back and enjoy the off season mate. Soon enough we'll be chin-deep in proper footy discussions.
I was mate - just having a laugh at our speculations! Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 7:28 pm

Plato wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:52 am
Heaven forbid - let's not go back to the dark ages.

A few weeks in and Liddle will be back - until them McIlwrick will hold the fort.
No need to drag people out of the nursing home.

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:18 pm

All good Steve.
Now . . . in one way, I wouldn't mind if we did go back to the 2005 style. Might not have the players for it, but we have never had a forward pack upon which to build momentum like this years pack. . . . so who knows ?

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:30 pm

To be honest, I just want a team that plays for each other. That doesn’t look for excuses. That is still going in the 80th minute. 2005 flair would be nice but I want to see the team earn the right to go sideways by going straight and hard. A team that work together defensively across the park. And no hero’s - the hero of the team is the team!!

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 11:13 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:30 pm
To be honest, I just want a team that plays for each other. That doesn’t look for excuses. That is still going in the 80th minute. 2005 flair would be nice but I want to see the team earn the right to go sideways by going straight and hard. A team that work together defensively across the park. And no hero’s - the hero of the team is the team!!
x2

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 9:57 am

X3.
Without lathering up our expectations ( again ) . . . . .
The latter part of last season saw a team that competed for nearly all the 80 minutes.
You could see the principles Cleary was teaching.
We have a forward pack with mongrel.
We have a forward pack with competition for starting positions. Genuine competition from genuine first grade forwards.
We have a playmaker with heart, dedication and a never say die attitude.
We have toughness and aggression in our outside backs. You can picture Milne or Fonua taking hit-ups 5m from our line.
And hopefully the ego driven prima donnas have moved on, the boys clubs shut down, and the team gels nicely.