The Contenders: Hooker

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31141
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

The Contenders: Hooker

Post by willow » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 9:10 pm

The Contenders: Hooker
Author Dan Talintyre
Fri 12 Jan 2018, 01:40 PM

JACOB LIDDLE

Age: 21

NRL Games: 14

At Wests Tigers since: 2016

Ever since his memorable debut back in 2016, Jacob Liddle has had Wests Tigers fans captivated about the next long-term hooker option for the club, but two shoulder injuries saw the 21-year-old struggle to completely show that in 2017. Liddle shared the workload at hooker with Matt McIlwrick and the combination worked nicely for the majority of the season before season-ending surgery, and it seems likely that (once healthy) that combination will feature again in 2018. When both healthy, there’s great debate as to who will win the starting hooker role, but having been named in the Emerging Blues squad for 2018 as a future Origin star, Liddle is certainly destined for big things in the big time. He’ll be touch and go for Round 1, but once back, there’s no doubting that the Wyong Roos junior will leave a great impression in 2018.



MATT MCILWRICK

Age: 26

NRL Games: 52

At Wests Tigers since: 2017

Viewed as the third-string hooker in the eyes of many last year, Matt McIlwrick was one of the great surprise success stories in 2017 — winning the starting role for Round 1 and keeping his spot in the side all the way through to Round 26, when he was unfortunately ruled out with suspension. The former Raider, Rooster and Shark has seemingly found his feet at Concord under Ivan Cleary and after signing a new deal with the club, will head in to the 2018 season looking to build on what he produced last year. McIlwrick will fancy his chances at nabbing the starting spot in Round 1 should Liddle’s shoulder keep him out, but even then, it’s likely that the two will rotate heavily throughout the year and do their best to keep opposition forward packs guessing.


BENJI MARSHALL

Age: 32

NRL Games: 269

At Wests Tigers since: 2003-13, 18

While there’s no doubting Benji Marshall’s best position is in the halves, don’t be surprised to see him feature off the bench at hooker throughout the year — a role which he handled with aplomb during his time at the Brisbane Broncos. He might not be the typical hooker that clubs have, but the 32-year-old’s great passing game and fleet-footed stepping makes for a nightmare out of dummy half against tired forwards in the middle. Having Marshall on the bench would allow Cleary to carry just one other hooker in the side and also more versatility in the game (which could be a real advantage), so it’ll be interesting to see if the Premiership winner is used in this capacity throughout 2018.



PITA GODINET

Age: 30

NRL Games: 61

At Wests Tigers since: 2018

The last player “on the bus” in 2018, Pita Godinet also offers great cover at hooker having spent time in the number nine jersey throughout his career in Australia and England, as well as on the international stage for Samoa. The experienced playmaker has a sharp passing game suited to the hooking role, and could come in to contention in any position of the spine throughout 2018 due to his versatility and on-field consistency.


formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 9:21 pm

For mine, Liddle first pick whenever available for selection. As to rotation, Elijah to start and switch wide for subbed Aloiai after twenty odd and see how that works before exploring other options.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:12 pm

Interestingly Taylor not considered as a hooking option but Benji Marshall is. I’d have Taylor as a twenty minute hooking option any day of the week.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20115
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:20 pm

I’m a big fan of McIlwrick. Imo should be a shoe in to start. He’s no Cam Smith, but he’s a goer and is hard as nails. Reminds me of Lincoln Whithers.

User avatar
Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 3556
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:23 pm

Probably our weakest position. A few players could do a job but no stand-outs at hooker

.
No one is terrible at DH but no one is a possible rep player either.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...


User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by sideline eye » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:29 pm

When your 3rd string hooker (ET), becomes an extra backrower with a representative pedigree twenty minutes into the game, I'd say our forward stocks are looking better than I've seen for a long time. I think he's a shoo in to start at hooker with Liddle or McKiller on the bench.

User avatar
Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 3556
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 8:02 am

sideline eye wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:29 pm
When your 3rd string hooker (ET), becomes an extra backrower with a representative pedigree twenty minutes into the game, I'd say our forward stocks are looking better than I've seen for a long time. I think he's a shoo in to start at hooker with Liddle or McKiller on the bench.
Agree with starting ET at DH for the first 20 (like he did for the Kiwi's).
However having a hooker on the bench doesn't make the bench look strong if you play a utility as well.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 8:57 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:23 pm
Probably our weakest position. A few players could do a job but no stand-outs at hooker

.
No one is terrible at DH but no one is a possible rep player either.
Disagree TD - I think a number of positions are weaker than DH.

Liddle is definitely a future rep player and was already named in the Emerging Blues squad for 2018 as a future Origin star.

He may not play in the first couple of rounds due to shoulder recovery but why people think he cannot play 80 minutes is beyond me. Once he comes back, a full preseason behind him and the experience of last year and now knowing what to expect in the NRL - there will be no stopping him.

He is sharp and very quick from the PTB, runs when he can do some good, a good thinker as to where the ball is needed and a very good defender in the middle.

McIlwrick, Godinet etc. will need to find new positions or get used to ISP in 2018.

DH are just different initials for JL - watch him make the position his own this year.

Just a Liddle bit of Jacob will improve us heaps.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:14 am

Not many hookers play 80 minutes and I can't see Liddle doing it. He is very very raw at this point.

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1617
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:39 am

Russell wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 8:57 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:23 pm
Probably our weakest position. A few players could do a job but no stand-outs at hooker

.
No one is terrible at DH but no one is a possible rep player either.
Disagree TD - I think a number of positions are weaker than DH.

Liddle is definitely a future rep player and was already named in the Emerging Blues squad for 2018 as a future Origin star.

He may not play in the first couple of rounds due to shoulder recovery but why people think he cannot play 80 minutes is beyond me. Once he comes back, a full preseason behind him and the experience of last year and now knowing what to expect in the NRL - there will be no stopping him.

He is sharp and very quick from the PTB, runs when he can do some good, a good thinker as to where the ball is needed and a very good defender in the middle.

McIlwrick, Godinet etc. will need to find new positions or get used to ISP in 2018.

DH are just different initials for JL - watch him make the position his own this year.

Just a Liddle bit of Jacob will improve us heaps.
Agreed :)

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20115
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:58 am

Liddle won’t even be there round 1, let alone start.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:01 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:58 am
Liddle won’t even be there round 1, let alone start.
That is what I said

"He may not play in the first couple of rounds due to shoulder recovery but......."

You may like to reread. :D

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20115
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:05 am

Russell wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:01 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:58 am
Liddle won’t even be there round 1, let alone start.
That is what I said

"He may not play in the first couple of rounds due to shoulder recovery but......."

You may like to reread. :D
You said may not. I said will not ;)

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:31 am

Anyone have in-depth stats for last season as to the amount of Mins Liddle started to play before his Injury.
I was thinking in a couple of games towards the end he was pushing out 65 at least.

User avatar
Mac tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:27 am
Location: Glen Alpine

Post by Mac tiger » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:46 am

Russell wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 8:57 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:23 pm
Probably our weakest position. A few players could do a job but no stand-outs at hooker

.
No one is terrible at DH but no one is a possible rep player either.
Disagree TD - I think a number of positions are weaker than DH.

Liddle is definitely a future rep player and was already named in the Emerging Blues squad for 2018 as a future Origin star.

He may not play in the first couple of rounds due to shoulder recovery but why people think he cannot play 80 minutes is beyond me. Once he comes back, a full preseason behind him and the experience of last year and now knowing what to expect in the NRL - there will be no stopping him.

He is sharp and very quick from the PTB, runs when he can do some good, a good thinker as to where the ball is needed and a very good defender in the middle.

McIlwrick, Godinet etc. will need to find new positions or get used to ISP in 2018.

DH are just different initials for JL - watch him make the position his own this year.

Just a Liddle bit of Jacob will improve us heaps.
I agree Russ, Liddle should be able to play 80 once he gets used to the grind of 1st grade. In fact its essential, i hate it when we carry 2 DHs given the way forwards dominate the game these days.

I really like McKiller btw - knows when to run and is a weapon in defence. I think we are reasonably placed for this position overall.

clontarfkid
Member
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:47 pm

Post by clontarfkid » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 5:16 pm

Weve invested in Liddle and shld give him every opportunity to show what hes got.He cant play 80 mins atm as we all agree,but between ET in the backrow and Benji on the bench we have two really good backups to plug the gaps.
Were not a big team by any stretch,and personally I just don't wanna squander a bench spot on a specialist no 9..
Grant Twal Benji and Aloise are on my bench,with McQueen Else and ET in the backrow

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2487
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 5:58 pm

I like the idea of McKillwrick in dummy half early when the opposition is fresh then switching to a fresh Liddle as the opposition tires.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't think we need two recognised DH's in the 17, it wastes a good bench spot.

Especially as " clontarfkid" says "we have Taylor and Marshall" to switch around whichever way Cleary wants to go.

Post Reply