Brooks given keys to Tigers' NRL kingdom

Tiger Watto

Re: Brooks given keys to Tigers' NRL kingdom

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:14 am

Finally Cleary delivers something that makes sense in relation to team application.

Blake Austin; Braith Anasta; Robbie Farah & Mitchell Moses where the type of players that would never work with a player like Luke. They were all too dominating and it has always been obvious Luke would go back into his shell week after week. Towards the end of last year, there were periods when Luke looked to be in control and it felt like he was about to find his own game.

Welcome to the Kingdom Sheikh Luke Brooks!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:18 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:14 am
Finally Cleary delivers something that makes sense in relation to team application.

Blake Austin; Braith Anasta; Robbie Farah & Mitchell Moses where the type of players that would never work for a player like Luke. They were all too dominating and it has always been obvious Luke would go back into his shell week after week. Towards the end of last year, there were periods when Luke looked to be in control and he looked like he was about to find his own game.

Agreed. While it is used as an excuse, Brooks' halves partners, with the exception of Anasta, have completely dominated the partnership and put Brooks in a position where he goes hiding. This year all we've heard from Josh Reynolds is "it's Luke's team. I'm here to play off the back of Luke." Time will only tell of course but I truly believe that Brooksy has it, it's just a matter of confidence and ownership. The first few rounds will be huge not only for the shaping of our season, but for his future.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:27 am

Tiger Watto wrote:

Blake Austin; Braith Anasta; Robbie Farah & Mitchell Moses where the type of players that would never work with a player like Luke. They were all too dominating and it has always been obvious Luke would go back into his shell week after week. Towards the end of last year, there were periods when Luke looked to be in control and it felt like he was about to find his own game.

I thought Tigers lived in the Jungle.. :?

Playing both sides will suit his game...big role for him if we are to do much in 2018..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:35 am

Needaname wrote:
Tue 13 Feb, 2018 10:31 pm
His definitely improving his media skills.
I thought he sounded clearer and more direct than I’ve heard in the past.
I also think the way he addresses things is just not in his personality.
All we need is for him to be confident in game.

Watching back the majority of games both early season and late, Brooks was actually developing into a good half. I see him in the same mould as a Blake Green. At this stage his achilles heal is his short kicking game, but that was improving as the season wore on.
The amount of control bestowed on Brooks in year 2016 was much different to 2017. Then when our 5/8 changed to Tui as oppose to Moses Brooks began to play even more on the ball.
His passing is very sharp but his decision making when passing at the line was off and that’s the biggest thing he needs to work on.
In the second half of the season Brooks was taking the ball to the line a lot more, in set plays and in individual rushes.
If the plan is for Brooks to be kicking the team around the park he doesn’t need to be that one trying to put the second rowers through holes. It’s impossible for any backrower to punch holes in the line without movement going on around the play. Those plays with Lawrence last year were very one dimensional but what we were lacking in that formation was the way Simona would run angles into the play.
I expect Reynolds and LoLo to be our play creaters at least popping up on both sides of the field and I think Brooks will benefit mostly from that, as he gets more confidence in his game his natural attacking instincts will come out.
I honestly believe this kid has it he just needed the support.
Ivan has done a good job of building him up and the team support around him so I’m excited.
I think we all see this season as a new beginning at the Wests Tigers :righton: I thought Luke seemed more confident in that interview too, lets hope he is and the WT's have a great season :pray:

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:57 am

I’ve never seen Brooks as a dominate playmaker and I don’t think he will ever be one. His strength is as a ball runner. He will distribute the ball around the park but he is more dangerous probing the line.

What I really want to see this year is damn dogged defense from everyone. I am sick to death of seeing the Tigers attack the opposition try line for set after set, then when the opposition get down our end they score in their first set.

Last season their defense improved towards the end and Ivan has added a lot of new faces, so I am hopeful. If the team can defend their try line regularly then maybe the ‘new’ Brooks can do damage up field.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 12:46 pm

At least this year we have a half back and a 5/8 in the halves. Moses and Brooks roles were very confused.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 2:08 pm

It could be argued Marshall & Reynolds are dominant players too.
Time will tell

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 2:29 pm

That’s good I don’t think the dominance is the issue, I think it’s the direction.
With Brooks as first receiver everything comes off him. Most of that in the attacking zone will be off set plays in the open side and if our Hooker, five eight, fullback or centres see something where they think there’s an opportunity on the blind I think that’s fine too.
With Under Taylor the 2 halves weren’t involved until set 4 or 5 and mostly to put a bomb up or run a play down a flank.
There was a slight change this season with Brooks doing a lot more off the ruck even in the first 5 games under our earlier coaches.
Still in attacking zone Moses called the play and Brooks distributed the ball.
In the later season when Brooks returned from injury the set up was a lot more first and second receiver. It was a unified approach with both halves and in some cases a bit of Hail marys but the backline plays had a bit more flow and instead of Brooks dishing the ball out quickly he started to go to the line to draw the defence in. You could say Tui was a dominant halve so I don’t see a problem with both halves being dominant as long as they are dominant in their own space or ‘roles’ within the team.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 4:27 pm

Full interview on the website.
Poor guy, one lady asks how his going to cope with the increased minutes he’ll be getting this season whilst others asks him at least twice if he and the club are more settled as oppose to last year.
https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... ke-brooks/

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 5:10 pm

Jebus - who writes this guff? Let's see how it looks on the field.

Munk

Post by Munk » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 5:41 am

Wasnt this same article released in 2016?

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:12 am

gallagher wrote:
Tue 13 Feb, 2018 8:50 pm
I saw the interview on fox. He still doesn't look confident or sure of himself.
Was thinking the same.....
It's comments when asked if it's his team and reply with 'yeah I think so' and saying Ivan 'wants it to be' Luke's team. The One other thing I didn't like him saying was that of the 'hard stuff' being over.
Don't get me wrong I would love for this guy to succeed .......But he doesn't brim me with confidence.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:15 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 14 Feb, 2018 11:27 am
Tiger Watto wrote:

Playing both sides will suit his game...big role for him if we are to do much in 2018..
Mosts Tigers live in houses numbnuts

Real tigers can live anywhere from open grasslands , swamps , just about anywhere depending on the species

Did you know that the wild population of Tigers grew for the 1st time in over a century

Every time I have to explain Everything to you :geek:

As for Brooks , this has to be his season , if not , this bus isn't for you

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 1:00 pm

Agree with what happy tiger said. This has to be brooks season, if not, then he'll be off the bus.
:sign:

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 1:41 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:15 am
Geo. wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:

Real tigers can live anywhere from open grasslands , swamps , just about anywhere depending on the species

Did you know that the wild population of Tigers grew for the 1st time in over a century

Tigers are legitimately my favourite animals.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 1:53 pm

wt00 wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 1:00 pm
Agree with what happy tiger said. This has to be brooks season, if not, then he'll be off the bus.
Agree. Well, as long as we have someone who is a better halfback than Brooks.
I’m not sure Benji or Gamble would be any better than Brooks in 2019. Nathan Cleary is on another level all together.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 1:58 pm

Tacky wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 1:41 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:15 am
Geo. wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:

Tigers are legitimately my favourite animals.
Some clown asked me a few years ago what would happen 1st , WT's winning a premiership or Tigers becoming extinct

I responded that when I met FW's like him I often hoped that the NRL would sterilize all Dragons supporters for the sake of humanity

Happy 1 Stains 0

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 2:20 pm

I notice from some of the training pics I have seen and especially from the Cairns ones, that Brooks looks lighter than last year, maybe training better