Honest assessment on 2018

Wests Tigers Discussion
barra

Re: Honest assessment on 2018

Post by barra » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:30 am

teddy23 wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 5:48 pm
Just want the forums thoughts on how they think we’ll go with the season under 3 weeks away now.....

I’m usually really optimistic about our chances each pre season, but this season I just don’t think our squad has what it takes to make the finals. I think our spine is quite weak, we just lack that x-factor and creativity in the spine imo. However our forwards are probably the best pack we’ve had in about a decade....

I think we’ll show a lot of hunger and passion for the jersey but just miss out, hope I’m wrong but it’s an honest assessment.
No doubt we lack a game changer, and our spine needs to improve.

In saying that, on the back of a reasonable pack with depth, if say Brooksy doesn't fire, expect Benji to come to the rescue and help us into the 8. You may laugh but it would not surprise me!

Re the lack of pace in our backs, if the coach prepares the team to play to their strengths (instead of trying to change their style of play to suit his coaching as happened recently) we might be a bit harder to handle than many think.

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:42 am

I think we will finish between 8-12, some really positive movements forward in our development as a team but like many have said the squad will need some time to gel and I think we are 1-2 out and out quality players from giving it a real shake up.

We have some good depth this year so injuries shouldn’t cruel us as much as they have in the past, I think if we cop an injury the players we will have to cover will be of a similar level unlike the past when we have relied on players such as Littlejohn and Rankin.

Our first 5-6 games are scary though and watching Storm last night I can’t see us coming within cooee of them. Normally I would think meeting the top teams at the start of the season is good before they have clicked into top gear but geez storm may click early this year!

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 1:10 pm

We will play in the finals.... :sign:

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 1:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:41 am
Earl wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 7:51 pm
Top 4 easy. We will win the comp.
x2

Away with the doom and gloomers Earl..

P.S. fixed your OP..
Thanks for fixing my post. I've changed my mind a little and I think the thread title is a little incorrect. We should be thinking how many games we lose all season.

I say 5 in the regular season and none through the final season.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:01 pm

Interesting comments.

At the moment I am unsure where we will sit. But there are two clear elements that will guide my opinion and those elements might take a few rounds to gel.

Firstly is the performance of our pack and in particular whether we can dominate the ruck and move forward. I was pleasantly surprised toward the end of last year so I have optimism that Ivan will address this point.

If our pack is on the front foot in attack then I can see our big back line boys and Tui come into play and create some real damage. Let's not forget that Reynolds is a typical support player who can run off Packer etc Let's hope.

Secondly the real test will be our defensive structure and particularly out wide. All teams know that we are vulnerable in that area so if Ivan has addressed that weakness then I think that we have the forwards to be successful.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:01 pm

Hard to say this far out... All we keep hearing is the same dribble about how the team is bonding better than ever, Ivan's cliches & that ridiculous bus theory. Like usual, non of it will mean anything come round 1 when we will need to turn up each week to play football for each other.

I'm expecting Cowboys to turn it on tonight, but dont think it will have any bearing on our season. Getting some air into the boys lungs under match conditions and working on timing/communication will be good for us this far out.

I feel it will be round 8-12 before we see this group become a team, and then we may put together some back to back wins that will give us a gauge what the wash-up of the season will be.

We only need to win the grand final in September/October, so we have a long journey until then!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:45 pm

would have liked are chances better if we had signing a gun backrower, but will be happy if we make the 8. and are defense is better.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 4:40 pm

5th

we will finish 5th.
i just know it.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 5:06 pm

beachtiger wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:42 am
I think we will finish between 8-12, some really positive movements forward in our development as a team but like many have said the squad will need some time to gel and I think we are 1-2 out and out quality players from giving it a real shake up.

We have some good depth this year so injuries shouldn’t cruel us as much as they have in the past, I think if we cop an injury the players we will have to cover will be of a similar level unlike the past when we have relied on players such as Littlejohn and Rankin.

Our first 5-6 games are scary though and watching Storm last night I can’t see us coming within cooee of them. Normally I would think meeting the top teams at the start of the season is good before they have clicked into top gear but geez storm may click early this year!
Yep 8th-12th sounds spot on.
Having 2 home games "away" vs Newcastle and the Maggots will bite us hard though, stupid decision by the club IMO. We need every advantage we can get at the moment.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:05 pm

Well the right conditions seem to have been created they seem a happy bunch in the moment lots of depth.
Ivan seems to have recruited to give Brooks a chance witb plenty of go forward and mentoring and he may play McQueen to cover him and I feel that we will be competing every game something that hasn't happened for a while. Our go forward should ensure that our defense will need to absorb less energy from opponents.
The weak link is a supposed lack of class but that may become irrelevant if guys like Twal,Milne, Marsters Brooks and rhe new signings develop.
I think Cleary identified soon as he walked in last year that sadly there was a lack of togetherness commitment belief and energy within the group so his remedy was to release the trouble makers build go forward and buy committed players so that way if we stay in games longer we may overcome " the blockages in performance "
That Easts game first up has already got a grand of my money at 9.5pts start.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:12 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 5:06 pm
beachtiger wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:42 am

Yep 8th-12th sounds spot on.
Having 2 home games "away" vs Newcastle and the Maggots will bite us hard though, stupid decision by the club IMO. We need every advantage we can get at the moment.
I really don't think home ground advantage is as big a deal to us as it might be to some other teams. We often play better away from home I reckon.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:55 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:05 pm
Well the right conditions seem to have been created they seem a happy bunch in the moment lots of depth.
Ivan seems to have recruited to give Brooks a chance witb plenty of go forward and mentoring and he may play McQueen to cover him and I feel that we will be competing every game something that hasn't happened for a while. Our go forward should ensure that our defense will need to absorb less energy from opponents.
The weak link is a supposed lack of class but that may become irrelevant if guys like Twal,Milne, Marsters Brooks and rhe new signings develop.
I think Cleary identified soon as he walked in last year that sadly there was a lack of togetherness commitment belief and energy within the group so his remedy was to release the trouble makers build go forward and buy committed players so that way if we stay in games longer we may overcome " the blockages in performance "
That Easts game first up has already got a grand of my money at 9.5pts start.
A grand??! Jeepers mate you are brave. Hope you have a win.

Munk

Post by Munk » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:36 am

Magpie Magic...A grand on us to beat the roosters, a side we never beat, boosted this year by Tedesco and Cronk?
I like your style.

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:59 am

Looking at last night trial against Cowboys showed that we will be competitive in most games we play this year with Ivan resting the BIG 7 for next weeks trial against the Sharks there was plenty of go forward our backs showed some pace liked the look of Reynolds Gamble Rochow Milne Lolo Thompson Fonua appears to be an angry man and will be an asset if he can control himself Brooks looked confident with his new team mates in one word promising

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:00 am

We just beat last years grand finalist in a trial. i know it's a trial and no more then that but to travel to cairns and beat them with alot of our new recruits not playing must account for something. I just watched Clearys video on his thoughts b4 the trial and his quote "The night before CHRISTMAS" has got me really excited. Can't wait for my West Tigers to open my present the nighr b4 Christmas

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:13 am

I am not convinced that Lalohea is 80% goal kicker, and we desperately need one. The closest (established) goal kicker is Marshall, but does this mean Brooks or Raynolds out?
Most likely Milne and Marsters are not the answer.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:27 pm

our backline will struggle all year. if we are thereabouts around round 7/8, i hope cleary makes a mid season play for a good centre- it could be the missing piece.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Earl

Post by Earl » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:29 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:27 pm
our backline will struggle all year. if we are thereabouts around round 7/8, i hope cleary makes a mid season play for a good centre- it could be the missing piece.
I'm not worried about out outside backs. Fonua, Milne, Nofo, Masters, MWZ, Kev and Tui will go well. Our halves and hooker are where we are the weakest.

The forwards should be fine as well but there is so much depth in the forwards it's going to take a while to figure out our best team.