Re: Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Post by Harvey » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:48 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:38 am
cqtiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:31 am
tigeress wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:12 am
Oh and we DESPERATELY need a decent goal kicker.........
I thought Tui kicked ok. He kicked the first two conversions, the first from the sideline that was still going up at the goalposts and the touchies didn’t move much so it didn’t miss by a lot. The second was from right in front. He also successfully kicked the last conversion at an angle.

I think it was Milne who tried the other kicks and they missed by miles. Very poor.
Marsters was the other kicker. I think Tui will be our goalkicker.
Both Milne and Marsters had shots which looked awful. I thought Reynolds & Thompson had both kicked in the past.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:52 am

Milne took one and it was a shocker.

Gamble would presumably be our 2nd or 3rd best kicker (including Marshall) but presumably didnt kick as he is not likely to play a lot of firsts, particularly at the start of the year.

My thoughts generally.

I was impressed by Felise and Mikalale (spelling).
Reynolds looked very good when playing in the 6. It was great to have a half that can defend in his own right.
Milne will be a very good buy for us. Strong and fast.
Lawrence looked in good shape and made strong carries every time. Hopefully his body holds up.
Thompson was sharp.
MWZ looked a step faster than last year.
Tui looks like he will make a decent fist of fullback, although I would like to see him play more straight when he chimes into the attack.
I love the look of Gamble. He has time, is strong and can pass. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Brooks worries me. His left to right passing was again very poor last night. You can't afford to have a half back that throws the poor passes that he does regularly. If he can fix that and his short kicking game, he will be a good player.
Matty McK isn't an 80 min hooker and Liddle should be given first crack.

Cows were very ordinary but we contained them well in defence in the first 39 minutes. We nullified Coen Hess quite well.

With Packer, Matalino, McQueen, ET, Twal and Sue to come back, I think we will have a good forward pack this year with good depth. I am more confident than ever that we won't miss Woods at all.

I am also liking the look of the depth in our backline. Thompson, Nofa, Fonua, MWZ and Kev are going to have a real battle for a wing spot. Whilst none are genuine speedsters, they will all make a good fist of it.

Given how ordinary we have traditionally been in trials, I am feeling more optimistic about this year than I was before that game.

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:08 am

I thought it was a great showing from the team. Attitude was good , sliding defence was better than seen for some time. Enjoyed watching the new players.. Thompson, Rochow, Mikeala, Godinet, and if he continues on that showing Gamble will force his way in somewhere. Was surprised by Felise, marsters was good , most players played with zest throughout the entire match. I think Brooks could struggle to keep his spot this year. Good to see

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:10 am

Was hoping to see that sort of game from Tyson Gamble.

He's my breakout pick this year. Have a look at his Qld cup highlights and he is one of those players that is always in the right spot and makes things happen.

It's no fluke when a player does that.

Anyone saying he needs 12 months in Nsw cup doesn't understand development and the strength of these state comps.
Its an opinion!

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:11 am

On Tyson Gamble - I must say that I am a Tyson Gamble fan. I watched his development for Redcliffe last season and all up here in Queensland were impressed with his attitude, skill and temperament. He is a guinine 5/8 who takes the ball to the straight and challenges defenders and a good support player. He has beautiful soft hands like many good halves and can put players through a gap with precision. He has a good kicking game - both short and long and he was Redcliffe's goal kicker last year. In fact, I would say that he is our only genuine goal kicker.

Gamble is going to present Ivan with one big selection headache - I can guarantee you that. Last year he was playing in reggies for Redcliffe in the Queensland Cup and he replaced an injured player after only a few rounds and never looked back. Ivan picked him quickly only after a few games in the Queensland Cup.

Last night he essentially played on the short side. If Ivan gives him more space I can say that he will generate holes for our outside backs and he has the ability to turn the ball inside to someone like Rochow, JJ or Sue on a diagonal run. Ivan must use him and have some of our big players run off him.

I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest that our spine will look very different by midway into the season - Tui / Gamble / Benji and Reynolds at hooker. And that spine will end up taking us into the top eight and from there it will be the Benji show again. Gamble will also be a goalkicker going into the finals.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:15 am

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:11 am
On Tyson Gamble - I must say that I am a Tyson Gamble fan. I watched his development for Redcliffe last season and all up here in Queensland were impressed with his attitude, skill and temperament. He is a guinine 5/8 who takes the ball to the straight and challenges defenders and a good support player. He has beautiful soft hands like many good halves and can put players through a gap with precision. He has a good kicking game - both short and long and he was Redcliffe's goal kicker last year. In fact, I would say that he is our only genuine goal kicker.

Gamble is going to present Ivan with one big selection headache - I can guarantee you that. Last year he was playing in reggies for Redcliffe in the Queensland Cup and he replaced an injured player after only a few rounds and never looked back. Ivan picked him quickly only after a few games in the Queensland Cup.

Last night he essentially played on the short side. If Ivan gives him more space I can say that he will generate holes for our outside backs and he has the ability to turn the ball inside to someone like Rochow, JJ or Sue on a diagonal run. Ivan must use him and have some of our big players run off him.

I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest that our spine will look very different by midway into the season - Tui / Gamble / Benji and Reynolds at hooker. And that spine will end up taking us into the top eight and from there it will be the Benji show again. Gamble will also be a goalkicker going into the finals.
Can’t help but think this is a bit of a Monday morning QB post.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:16 am

Not saying Gamble doesn’t have talent, but geez, it was a trial.

Munk

Post by Munk » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:20 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:56 am
Munk wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:50 am
tigerap wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 am
formerguest wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:21 am

Crystal clear stream throughout the match at this end.
For a stream, the quality was surprisingly good
Stream was shocking on my end. Id see 10 seconds of play then it would freeze for 20 seconds, then it would skip forward and repeat. Completely unwatchable. I came on here to read comments but access was even more limited. I ended up reading cows forum. They were cranky hahaha.
Did you watch it off a tablet? I started watching it off my tablet and had the problems you have mentioned, then I put it on my laptop and it was smooth throughout the whole cast.
Yes tablet. Ill try laptop next time. Thanks.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:23 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:16 am
Regardless of it being a trial we all should be impressed that a player wants to step up and achieve his goals and press for a starting spot something this team has lacked for many seasons .

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:26 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sorry, watched him last year in the Queensland Cup and although they are my comments many astute judges in Queensland will support them. What he did in the trial was indicative of what he did throughout last season. He will be our surprise package this year. Benji also thinks very highly of him and I would not be surprised if he recommended Tyson to Ivan.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:30 am

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:26 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sorry, watched him last year in the Queensland Cup and although they are my comments many astute judges in Queensland will support them. What he did in the trial was indicative of what he did throughout last season. He will be our surprise package this year. Benji also thinks very highly of him and I would not be surprised if he recommended Tyson to Ivan.
Love the optimism and hope he is half as good as you think.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:39 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:15 am
FreddyK wrote:

Can’t help but think this is a bit of a Monday morning QB post.
Nah FreddyK has had big wraps on Tyson for a long time.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:58 am

FreddyK wrote:

how's his defence?

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:22 am

How's his defence?

To be honest I don't know how he will perform defensively in the NRL. The Queensland and NSW Cups do not really have defensive systems like the NRL - they are more like undisciplined patterns. It will be step up for him to play to an NRL defensive system but from what I have seen, and the respect from the Redcliffe coaching staff had for him last year, I think he will be okay. He was good at scrambling. But playing to a system I await.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:24 am

I thought it was a good hit out from all the boys, Cowboys were horrid but you can only play whats in front of you. I think we actually have genuine depth both in the forwards and the backs. I reckon Ivan will have a few selection headaches and there may be one or two surprises.

Gamble impressed in the little time he had as did JJ and Marsters IMO, looking like a better season ahead if the trial is any indication.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:27 am

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:22 am
How's his defence?

To be honest I don't know how he will perform defensively in the NRL. The Queensland and NSW Cups do not really have defensive systems like the NRL - they are more like undisciplined patterns. It will be step up for him to play to an NRL defensive system but from what I have seen, and the respect from the Redcliffe coaching staff had for him last year, I think he will be okay. He was good at scrambling. But playing to a system I await.
I guess that's the adjustment that will take the longest. I'd back him to handle it though.
Its an opinion!

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:43 am

The Patriot wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:27 am
FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:22 am
How's his defence?

I guess that's the adjustment that will take the longest. I'd back him to handle it though.
I agree, I think that he will handle it. The way he stepped up to the plate last year indicted that he was willing to listen. He has incredible drive and is hungry for success. He will follow Ivan's defensive instructions to the letter. At half time last night, he stepped aside from a few players who were chatting away, found a ball and focused on the task. Again he has a real drive and I hope that his hunger will be infectious.

Post by 851 » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:45 am

Gamble was good, could he play halfback, if so that would solve a big problem
Go hard or go home