Trial Match v Cronulla Sharks *LIVE Thread

Seantice

Re: Team Announcement – Trial Match v Cronulla Sharks

Post by Seantice » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:17 am

Yeah in the end if the players that miss out arnt putting in like the rest then they should be dropped. Our forward pack will be good. Just have too see what happens with the backline.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:17 am

This may explain why tui has struggled to nail down a spot in the nrl. Not fit enough for fullback and not disciplined enough for a 6.

Looking at that backline, our game style may be significantly different to anything we have seen over the last 10yrs. Ball control, long kicking and attack with defence.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:26 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:17 am
This may explain why tui has struggled to nail down a spot in the nrl. Not fit enough for fullback and not disciplined enough for a 6.

Looking at that backline, our game style may be significantly different to anything we have seen over the last 10yrs. Ball control, long kicking and attack with defence.
I think you will see our fullback play a different role to other teams. While others play out the back like a second 5/8, ours will mainly hunt around the middle looking for offloads and opportunity to capitalise on quick play the balls. He will play out the back sometimes but not nearly as much as other fullbacks. This will mean our centres will see more ball.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:32 am

upthetigers wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 6:45 am
Thompson at fullback and Brooks at halfback doesn't that just fill you with a HUGE amount of confidence. Everyone is on the bus with you now Cleary let's not be getting stupid now.
Basing what we have seen on one trial doesn't make sense

Cleary has been watching them for 3 months now , I back his judgement on this one , he has obviously seen something he likes

Just a trial remember , 2 points doesn't ride on this one

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:44 am

We have a really tough first month or so when the comp starts, and I got a feeling that coach Cleary doesn't want to give anything away to our rivals. I think he does not want to give them a good look at our side as a whole until we take the field in Round 1.

I think he's using the trials to check out a few little things here and there, but mixing up the team to make it hard for our rivals to get anything much out of watching us in the trials.

Here's hoping anyway.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:45 am

And the next question then lays unanswered is Thompson gets chosen Rd 1 at Fullback , Tui becomes the smart pick off the bench , not Marshall

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:49 am

$5 tix online

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:51 am

I'll be looking for naiqama to play the second half at fullback if I'm reading it right.

Thompson 40
Naiqama 40
Tubby 80

Then make a decision.
Its an opinion!

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:16 am

Mate if this is the side for round 1 il be loving Latrell Mitchell palming off Naiqama with impunity. Itl be a massacre.

Any news on Twal? We need him for round 1. Him and Felise. He showef me enough last week to get the other proo bench spot

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:17 am

Just a thought on Tui - We certainly haven't seen him tested as a fullback. However, Ivan and the other coaches will have, and I can imagine there are some areas of his game at No.1 that aren't quite there yet. His passing game, his own defence and his ability to read the opposition attack and direct our defence, his kicking game also. Perhaps Thomson is a safer option at the moment and Ivan is letting Tui know that he has more work to do. Who knows maybe the talk about Barba and RTS has thrown him off as well.
As for Twal, ET, Liddle and Sue - these guys are simply not ready yet. McQueen is just having a lighter start and building confidence and match fitness - slowly, slowly with him. Benji may still be expecting a bub. Milne will share the centre spot with Kev in the trial - this spot is genuinely up for grabs. Fonua is getting the rocket treatment.
When you look at the selected team with all this in mind, it is probably exactly right. I have faith that Ivan has thought about it carefully and come up with the best strategy.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:28 am

Seantice wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:16 am
Mate if this is the side for round 1 il be loving Latrell Mitchell palming off Naiqama with impunity. Itl be a massacre.

Any news on Twal? We need him for round 1. Him and Felise. He showef me enough last week to get the other proo bench spot
latrell will be on marsters, thank god

read somewhere (may have even been on here) that twal was noticably limping at the cairns trial

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:39 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:28 am
Seantice wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:16 am

latrell will be on marsters, thank god

read somewhere (may have even been on here) that twal was noticably limping at the cairns trial
Thank god for that. Assuming Marsters is picked in the centres haha

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:43 am

TigerSJ wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:17 am
Just a thought on Tui - We certainly haven't seen him tested as a fullback. However, Ivan and the other coaches will have, and I can imagine there are some areas of his game at No.1 that aren't quite there yet. His passing game, his own defence and his ability to read the opposition attack and direct our defence, his kicking game also. Perhaps Thomson is a safer option at the moment and Ivan is letting Tui know that he has more work to do. Who knows maybe the talk about Barba and RTS has thrown him off as well.
As for Twal, ET, Liddle and Sue - these guys are simply not ready yet. McQueen is just having a lighter start and building confidence and match fitness - slowly, slowly with him. Benji may still be expecting a bub. Milne will share the centre spot with Kev in the trial - this spot is genuinely up for grabs. Fonua is getting the rocket treatment.
When you look at the selected team with all this in mind, it is probably exactly right. I have faith that Ivan has thought about it carefully and come up with the best strategy.
Good post

I don't think Thompson will let anyone down if he does play fullback Rd 1. Looked quite sharp and very keen.

In regards to centre i would probably like to see Milne and Marsters as the pairing but let's face it Naiqama deserves a good crack at it and may even surprise with the extra depth pushing him a bit harder

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:50 am

Another thing that stands out for me is the hooker role. Our strength this year is our pack and IC will want someone to drive the pack forward (and maintain defensive structures). He will also want to identify players who can feed off our big boys and strengthen the link to Brookes and our backs. I think IC will test out both McIlwrick and Reynolds at hooker to see who can drive the pack.

The other thing of interest against Cronulla will be the tactics we use. There were some very obvious tactical plays last week so I'll be watching for those this week - that is if it is televised.

Finally - it is just a trial so everyone should cool down.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:54 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 6:44 pm
Rochow will be the sleeper this year imo. He'll surprise a few.
I think you could be right here, I thought he looked pretty good in the first trial match :pray:

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:57 am

king sirro wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 7:27 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 7:20 pm
king sirro wrote:
Wed 21 Feb, 2018 6:14 pm
But Russell said Lolohea is a lock for fullback
Well I was also talking about real games not trials :roll
It will take a miracle for Tui to be named fullback for round one mate. You dont play the first choice spine member in reserve grade to give the back up a run. Believe me, barring injury, Thompson will start round one as our fullback.

For what its worth i think its crazy Tui isn't in the team. Evan if Thompson is now regarded a better fullback, surely we need Lolohea's strike power and goal kicking somehere.
The goal kicking this season is a real problem I believe. We don't really have anyone (except maybe for Gamble) who is a reputable kicker :brick:

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:10 am

I can’t see Naiqama starting in the centres.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:12 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:10 am
I can’t see Naiqama starting in the centres.
Why..?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen