Brutal Reality - We lack talent

Wests Tigers Discussion
Eddie

Brutal Reality - We lack talent

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:25 pm

We have the least talent in the competition. Thats why are favourites for the wooden spoon. By that i mean arguable the weakest spine in the whole competition and the slowest backline. If someone can name me a weaker spine or slower backline i would like them to nominate them?

We might have the most depth but that doesn't mean we have 25 good first graders. Everyone can talk about being a team and effort and playing for each other but most NRL sides do that most weeks.

The game is about speed and power. Last night I was thinking who are the guys oppositions are going to be worried about? Who is the target on a sweeping back line play? Who is going to turn a half break into a clean break? How are our wingers going to exploit space down the edges? Who is going to to make something out of nothing magic? Who can create the late offload to put some one over? I actually think Aloiai will be one of our best targets close to the line.

I quite like our pack however once the bash and barge of the season takes it toll you need class and polish.
I know its a new team and it will take time. I like the fact we are trying to build something new. However my impression is unless they can come up with a style of football that is something different we are going to find it mighty hard to score points this season.

Maybe the team is bigger then individuals and we can surprise this season. However for me coming 11th or 12th would be a present surprise based on this roster as it currently stands.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:45 pm

You guys are so encouraging
Hope off at the next bus stop please

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:56 pm

Its only been 2 trials fellas,let Ivan do his job....he knows that he needs to get this team winning games this year...he recruited players and has had everything in his favour...as long as the bus only gets a flat tyre sometime during the year,gets repaired and then its smooth travel along a somewhat rocky road,then all will be good...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:59 pm

Eddie,have you been asked to audition for a new horror movie...they tell me it was for the part of the GRIMREAPER...

be cool brother,we have 26 rounds before we start buying rope from Bunnings....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:01 pm

Amazing the amount of Monday morning QB’s that have come out of the woodwork the last 24 hours. Where were these threads after last weeks trial?

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:04 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:45 pm
You guys are so encouraging
Hope off at the next bus stop please
The OP is pretty close to the mark. We do lack talent compared to other franchises, so we will need to work harder as a team if we are going to make any headway in this competition.

Luck will need to be the star of this team, but I'm not sure if Ivan has included that in his cliches?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:07 pm

GNR I write previews for The Roar.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/23/we ... rediction/

I had the Tigers pencilled in for 15th in an article posted Friday.

So happy to be accused of having no idea and being wrong but not a Monday Morning quarterback in this case.

Anyway I desperately hope I am wrong.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:13 pm

Same names, same negativity.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:17 pm

I always try and look at things fro a neutral perspective.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:18 pm

Swordy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:13 pm
...and the same footy on field thus far

Its been a long time between drinks, and the last drink

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:20 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:18 pm
Swordy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:13 pm
...and the same footy on field thus far

Its been a long time between drinks, and the last drink
I think its more fans being realistic then negative.

All this get on the bus stuff bores me more then honest and passionate comments.

Each to their own though.

I respect rans that like to get behind the team and be positive.

However like you said - its been a while.

Milky

Post by Milky » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:21 pm

Don’t disagree one bit

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:28 pm

We have an even squad, we lack one or two origin class players but have the Twal's and Aloia's coming through.

Way too early to go off
Its an opinion!

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:29 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:25 pm
We have the least talent in the competition. Thats why are favourites for the wooden spoon. By that i mean arguable the weakest spine in the whole competition and the slowest backline. If someone can name me a weaker spine or slower backline i would like them to nominate them?

We might have the most depth but that doesn't mean we have 25 good first graders. Everyone can talk about being a team and effort and playing for each other but most NRL sides do that most weeks.

The game is about speed and power. Last night I was thinking who are the guys oppositions are going to be worried about? Who is the target on a sweeping back line play? Who is going to turn a half break into a clean break? How are our wingers going to exploit space down the edges? Who is going to to make something out of nothing magic? Who can create the late offload to put some one over? I actually think Aloiai will be one of our best targets close to the line.

I quite like our pack however once the bash and barge of the season takes it toll you need class and polish.
I know its a new team and it will take time. I like the fact we are trying to build something new. However my impression is unless they can come up with a style of football that is something different we are going to find it mighty hard to score points this season.

Maybe the team is bigger then individuals and we can surprise this season. However for me coming 11th or 12th would be a present surprise based on this roster as it currently stands.
What did you expect seeing that our best 3 players pissed off to other clubs ?
And we ended up keeping the dud we didn't really want !
Last edited by hobbo on Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:32 pm

Well it depends who actually runs out as our backline but the Dragons have a slow one with Matt Dufty, Jason Nightingale, Euan Aitken, Tim Lafai, Nene Macdonald, Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt. The only person with any noticeable pace in that backline is Matt Dufty and he's a bit of an unknown quantity.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:39 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:17 pm
I always try and look at things fro a neutral perspective.
Eddie u have always been a measured poster and i cant argue with ur logic.

I actually really liked the side u picked especially the backline and i hope IC runs with it.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:40 pm

But Ivan Cleary assembled this Roster...

At the beginning of his tenure we only had 5 of 30 players contracted for 2018..

Is the OP saying the recruitment and retention is disgraceful and talentless...?

Cleary has also signed most of the key recruits to longish term deals so it's not as if the roster can be turned over quickly again
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:52 pm

Geo

I questioned plenty of our signings last year.

I think it was a risky recruitment drive considering ages and the length of deal

However beggars cant be chooses.

The coach has taken 2 basket cases to either a GF or Prelim Final in time so he deserves the chance to see what he can do with his signings before saying its disgraceful.