I was unwanted by Potter: Marshall reveals cause for 2013 Tigers exit

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 5:31 am

By Scott Bailey
11 March 2018 — 5:14pm

Benji Marshall has revealed the Wests Tigers under former coach Michael Potter told him he wasn't a part of the club's future before he made the choice to leave for rugby union.

Marshall starred in his first game back for the Tigers in Saturday's upset win over the Sydney Roosters, his first game for the club since leaving for Super Rugby club the Auckland Blues at the end of 2013.

It was originally understood Marshall's departure came about following a contract dispute over a potential extension at the club, but the playmaker revealed on Sunday he was left unwanted by the Tigers' previous administration.

"At the time Mick Potter was the coach and the club said to me that I wasn't going to be in the plans for the future," Marshall told Triple M NRL.

"It's hard for me to be somewhere where I don't feel wanted and I just wasn't feeling that.

"Obviously at the time I didn't want to go to another NRL club because my heart was with the Tigers so that's why I ended up going to rugby union."

Marshall is one of just four players to have played more than 200 games for the merged club, and is still the most famous player to have turned out for franchise.

His latest signature already looks likely to pay off, with regular five-eighth Josh Reynolds expected to be out for up to a month with a hamstring injury.

Regardless, Marshall said Potter's decision had worked in his favour as it had since prolonged his career.

"It's not something I regret because if I didn't leave I probably would have retired a lot earlier from getting too comfortable there and a bit complacent and just feeling a bit lost the last couple of years there," he said.

"I was able to find a bit of myself again, the reasons why I play footy, enjoying the game.

"When something gets taken away from you and it gets given back you appreciate it a bit more."

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 5:35 am

From memory...you admitted to us all the reason why Potter didnt want you

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 5:49 am

Mayer had a hand in that too - as I recall. Benji wanted an upgrade in his contract that the club was not prepared to meet.
Shut it down Benji wont do yourself any favours by rehashing this stuff. Some fans were just starting to like you again -zip it.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 5:58 am

Benji should realise that he is a much better player than when he left,also he was chewing a substantial ammount of the cap.
He has matured as a footballer and probably as a person.Let it rest Benji

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 6:03 am

Was going so well to with all the feels..after the weekend

Footy Benji..just stick to Footy..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 6:10 am

Here we go again ...........
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 6:18 am

Don’t start with this crap. Your ego was out of control. He seems to have grown up now, so leave all this rubbish in the past please.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 7:47 am

Dipping his toe in the water already....HELP!!! :sign:

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 7:55 am

Not many people disagreed with Potter at the time. The only trouble was the vision at the time was to build a club around the so called big four, and what a disaster that turned out.

As always with Benji we will get a lot of this type of fluff, one week it will be positive the next week negative.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 7:57 am

As above! What's the plan Benji?
"Quality Stupidity"

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:16 am

And when Farah eventually comes back the headline will be exactly the same: I was unwanted by Jason Taylor! and we will all whinge in unison. And when Potter comes back the headline will be: I was unwanted by Farah!
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:34 am

Benji.... Potter was accurate in his assessment back then .

You were not delivering by yoour own admissions.

happy yr back, leave the baggage at the door

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:52 am

only played about 6 decent games since you left, so can’t really blame potter

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:56 am

Just so you guys know this was baited out of him in a couple of interviews and one of them was by Hooper on MMM the drop kick. Benji didn't just start talking about it, it was very targeted and a small part of the interview.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 9:04 am

ku5tom wrote:
Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:56 am
Just so you guys know this was baited out of him in a couple of interviews and one of them was by Hooper on MMM the drop kick. Benji didn't just start talking about it, it was very targeted and a small part of the interview.
Fair enough, but rehashing that kind of thing does no-one any good, except for the tabloids. For mine, he'd be better served by brushing the question aside and talking about what's happening now.
"Quality Stupidity"

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 9:07 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Mon 12 Mar, 2018 9:04 am
ku5tom wrote:
Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:56 am
Fair enough, but rehashing that kind of thing does no-one any good, except for the tabloids. For mine, he'd be better served by brushing the question aside and talking about what's happening now.
Agree I am sure Ivan will have a few words of wisdom.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 9:31 am

I always felt Potter made this choice based on alot of factors, but none more was as important than the fact his mates/players had lost faith in him.

I think it was the Sharks game where Robbie was virtually over-ruling Benji for most of the game. The following week we met Benchy Marshall I think?

Since his return at St George, I feel Benji was a far more mature player and if he can maintain that maturity throughout the year, Benji will be a great addition to the team.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

willow

Post by willow » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 10:24 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 12 Mar, 2018 8:16 am
And when Farah eventually comes back the headline will be exactly the same: I was unwanted by Jason Taylor! and we will all whinge in unison. And when Potter comes back the headline will be: I was unwanted by Farah!
Farah's not coming back.