tig_prmz

Re: Referees and commentators

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:32 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:38 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:25 pm
said the same thing in another thread

i love hearing opinions of sterlo, johns, gould, fittler etc but they need to give them in their coulumns, footy shows etc not while the game is going on.
Why?
If It's relevant to the game they're calling I don't see a problem.
What I have a Problem with is Rabs talking about MKR and Gus babbling on about which direction Grrystanes is
there's more to the game than refs calls.
cameras should point to the exact person who was offside and how much by.
commentators giving opinions as the play is going on influences you as a viewer- i bet you in 1-2 weeks the same people will commend the NRL for sticking to it. commentators should be adding to the theatrical of NRL, talk about tactics, talk about a good line break, a good tackle, the winger who came in 30m off his sideline to take some pressure off his forwards etc. plenttyyy more to talk about than trying to blame refs for pulling up players who do the wrong thing
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:33 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:21 pm
Last night we saw two grub teams who absolutely loath each other who both push the boundaries beyond the norm hence high the penalty count ..

Let's see what eventuates in the Roosters / Warriors clash
Exactly why my eyes were never going to watch them play, particularly against each other and regardless of officiating. On the flip side, looking forward to some decent footy in the trans Tasman clash.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:54 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:32 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:38 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:25 pm
said the same thing in another thread

i love hearing opinions of sterlo, johns, gould, fittler etc but they need to give them in their coulumns, footy shows etc not while the game is going on.
Why?
If It's relevant to the game they're calling I don't see a problem.
What I have a Problem with is Rabs talking about MKR and Gus babbling on about which direction Grrystanes is
there's more to the game than refs calls.
cameras should point to the exact person who was offside and how much by.
commentators giving opinions as the play is going on influences you as a viewer- i bet you in 1-2 weeks the same people will commend the NRL for sticking to it. commentators should be adding to the theatrical of NRL, talk about tactics, talk about a good line break, a good tackle, the winger who came in 30m off his sideline to take some pressure off his forwards etc. plenttyyy more to talk about than trying to blame refs for pulling up players who do the wrong thing
They do this already.
Refs are an integral part of the game and to have them totally ignored by the commentary would frustrate fans even more... Much like forwards passes cat be adjudicated by the video ref

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 6:36 pm

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 8:17 pm

Seems a case of horses for courses, as there has been no issue in matches this evening. When the spoiler sides played last night it was a different story and they were rightly penalised.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 8:33 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 8:17 pm
Seems a case of horses for courses, as there has been no issue in matches this evening. When the spoiler sides played last night it was a different story and they were rightly penalised.
Exactly!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 1:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:43 pm
Swordy wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:16 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 10:08 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 9:21 am
The ref issue either positive or negative can stop today, right now, if the players played within the rules and the coaches stopped coaching them to break the rules.

It really is that simple.
Do you honestly think 272 players will, for 80 minutes play 100% to the rules every single week?

Come on.... :crazy
Of course not Ink, but simply, there is probably more to be gained by any coach or player in using that same time spent learning and practicing to flaunt the rules, and using that time to come up with more attacking and defensive patterns that you can control through execution, not just hoping you get a penalty or not based on the mood of the referee.
I may be wrong but I don't think they practise being offside and forward passes.... They would practise line speed and flat passing and occasionally that goes awry.
The wrestle is where they practice and refine.. All clubs
We will agree to disagree in some capacity Ink. If you are suggesting that teams have not been practising and have not been coached to stand offside, particularly on one side of the ruck, then we have to disagree.

The bulldogs were leaders at it for some years. Standing offisde on one side of the ruck forced the attacking team to go in the other direction. The referees, including Tony Archer when he was in charge, outwardly stated that " The ball went the other way so why stop the game?" What he didn't admit was that this was a deliberate tactic to force the ball the other way. It is still that way until recently and now the changes are being made.

Playing the ball touch footy style has pretty well stopped in 3 or 4 weeks. It can be done. Now lets work on the offiside crap.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 5:54 pm

It appears only the senior ref's games are penaltyathons...
They've put the whistle away today, I watch closely and I can see plenty of no foot on the ball in the ptb, markers not square, walking off the mark, players offside forward passes etc etc.
Not a bad game today... Last 20 mins a bit flat S saints can't lose and knight can't win.. But a good flowing game

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 6:41 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 8:17 pm
The coaches are training there players to spoil the opposition at ever opportunity.... there certainly is a percentage of penalties that could be seen as excessive but watching these game I have no problem with the refs blowing the whistle as they are warranted .
This leads to games being a bit stop start but the coaches or clubs should not be complaining to the NRL they themselves should clean THERE act up .

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 7:19 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 10:15 am

Even if the players adapt and the refs don't have to blow the pea out of it anymore, do we want what that game looks like?
I know I don't. I'm pretty sure if most thought about it they won't either.

I do.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 7:38 pm

Some people are so gullible

Watch the games closely... I guarantee this won't change a thing come seasons end

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 7:49 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 01 Apr, 2018 7:38 pm
Some people are so gullible

Watch the games closely... I guarantee this won't change a thing come seasons end
Not sure i know what you mean ink. I'm just sick of the watering down of the rules of the game. Playing the ball correctly, back chat and other basic stuff is easily fixed. I don't understand the push back. I hope they go further and make scrums competitive again and also put down a scrum when the player kicking for touch steps over the mark. Bring it on. It's not hard to get the basics right.
Last edited by Doc Tiger on Sun 01 Apr, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm beginning to think this is all nothing more than a PR stunt.
People are buying it.... I don't think much will have changed by seasons end

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 8:29 pm

Maybe not, you could be right. But if they're fair dinkum, then they have to start somewhere.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 9:01 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 01 Apr, 2018 8:03 pm
Hey INK ,you watched the SAINTS v KNIGHTS game today...the ref was awesome,he let the game flow and only blew the whistle when there was a blatent penalty to be given ...he deserves kudos for the job he done today....and there were about 20 penalties less than other games this round..this style of refereeing will bring the crowds back...there was a great crowd at WIN stadium today and never left until the game was over...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 9:03 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 01 Apr, 2018 9:01 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 01 Apr, 2018 8:03 pm
Hey INK ,you watched the SAINTS v KNIGHTS game today...the ref was awesome,he let the game flow and only blew the whistle when there was a blatent penalty to be given ...he deserves kudos for the job he done today....and there were about 20 penalties less than other games this round..this style of refereeing will bring the crowds back...there was a great crowd at WIN stadium today and never left until the game was over...
They ref fed well today... They ignored the edict from Greenberg otherwise all those indiscretions I saw but they let go would've been penalised, it was a good game with some good try's and passages of play and plenty of ball in play

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 9:50 pm

So when Parra score a try after an illegal play the ball or they defend their line against us because they are offside all 6 tackles will we still be happy that the ref ‘let the game flow’?
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 10:03 pm

As long as we win steve