Fullback Recruit

Patts

Fullback Recruit

Post by Patts » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 7:27 am

This topic in not a slight on Tui or our backup options (Thompson or Kevy) but our club seems hell bent on signing a gun fullback; having recently made approaches to RTS and Nathan Ross. Personally I wouldn't put Ross ahead of Tui but I can see he is the sort of personality Cleary wants in the club (ie, a hard worker who would die for the team).

Today I read that Jack Wighton could be sacked from Canberra due to an off field incident but there's also a suggestion Canberra need cap relief. I think Wighton is a gun, a real X factor player. If Cleary wants a fullback before 30th June, he could do worse than look at Wighton.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 7:32 am

Wighton is terrible i wouldnt want him with us.He is not the sort of player we should be looking at.Tapine definately is

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 7:37 am

Wighton is not a great fullback but could be the best defensive centre in the NRL. I would c certainly take him

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 7:42 am

The raiders are my backup team, I watch all their matches. Wighton is far from being a good FB. He makes very poor decisions and offers very little.

krayola

Post by krayola » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:04 am

Was a gun centre before Canberra moved him to FB. Hasn’t done much since.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:08 am

Wighton would be great but at left centre not at fullback. If he was signed to replace Kev then fair enough but Lolo is a better fullback

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:25 am

Cleary could do worse than Wighton.

How????? - cut his own leg off.

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:30 am

He can win you some and loose you some. Too many mistakes for me - no thanks.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:30 am

We can do better than that ...... surely!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:40 am

Wighton is over priced...as Ivan would say...next..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:50 am

Not a great player or person. Don't think he'd even be an upgrade over Tui to be perfectly honest.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:20 am

No to Wighton at fullback. Would take him at left centre. If he ever wants to have a rep career that's where it will be.

the third

Post by the third » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:27 am

Raiders star Jack Wighton in alleged nightclub fight
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
April 3, 2018 7:00pm

THE Canberra Raiders have chosen troubled fullback Jack Wighton to play in Thursday night’s desperation match against the Canterbury Bulldogs despite an ongoing police investigation into his involvement in a nightclub brawl.

The Daily Telegraph revealed that the NRL integrity unit had been alerted to an ACT police probe into a late-night brawl in the Canberra suburb of Civic involving six men.

Police have obtained CCTV footage of the fight but the integrity unit, unlike in previous cases, has made no attempt contact the nightclub or obtain film of the brawl.

Jack Wighton’s involvement is under scrutiny.
Wighton’s immediate future is under a cloud over allegations he was involved in the serious assault of up to three men in the week before the start of the season.

Wighton has been interviewed by detectives who are poised to press charges.

Wighton was out with a friend — not a footballer — when the pair became involved in an argument and then a fight with a group of four men.

An NRL spokesman confirmed the integrity unit had been alerted.

Raiders CEO Don Furner phoned integrity unit investigator Karen Murphy when the incident was alleged to have occurred.

It’s already a tough season for the Raiders. (AAP Image/Mick Tsikas)
The integrity unit is monitoring the situation and waiting to see if charges will be laid.

This is a different approach to previous cases in which the NRL has carried out its own inquires.

The Raiders have had their worst start to a season since 1997 and a loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs this week would be their poorest start to a season since 1982.

The 25-year-old fullback has worn the green and gold for the Prime Minister’s XIII in 2015 and played 119 NRL games for the Raiders.

The allegations have angered coach Ricky Stuart, who has mentored Wighton since became Raiders coach in 2014.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is close to Wighton. (AAP Image/Your Name)
The Raiders issued a brief statement after The Daily Telegraph broke the story.

The Canberra Raiders are aware of an incident involving Jack Wighton and have been co-operating with ACT Policing on their investigation,” the statement said,

“The Raiders have notified the NRL Integrity unit and will be not making any further comment as the incident is an ongoing police investigation.”

ACT Police are refusing to comment on the case.

“We are aware of the statement made by the Canberra Raiders. ACT Policing cannot comment on individuals in relation to ongoing investigations.”

Wighton’s manager Paul Sutton did not return phone calls or text messages.

Hmmmm....

Not so sure Cleary would be looking at him. Paul Kent said on Fox yesterday that he thought charges and a suspension from the NRL were likely

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:40 am

We need Lolohea’s goal kicking. It was good seeing Moses spay them last week. LoLo nailing them from the sideline was great.
in Ivan we distrust

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:51 am

How can the NRL suspend him if they don't even want to see the footage of what happened?

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 10:52 am

Wighton is a gun centre and a very average fullback. If it’s a 2 on 4 brawl and he was out numbered He has every right to defend himself with full force. People get what they deserve if they gang attack people. Problem with society if the winner of a brawl is the one charged. That’s if those are the facts as DT is about as accurate as a celebrity tabloid.

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 11:13 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:40 am
We need Lolohea’s goal kicking. It was good seeing Moses spay them last week. LoLo nailing them from the sideline was great.
Agree. His kicking has improved, much simpler approach to the ball. Thompson has been good at FB in his absence, but having Tui back last week gave us a bit of an x-factor.

Would need a top shelf FB on the market before you'd consider putting someone before Tui, Thompson or even Kev. I'd rather a top notch centre.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 11:18 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 06 Apr, 2018 8:40 am
Wighton is over priced...as Ivan would say...next..
I don't think Cleary would need to look at Wighton's price :lol:

Surely the worst fullback in the NRL

Lolo has certainly been kicking well , he even looks like Hodgo when he kicks