Grub and his fan

bathursttiger

Grub and his fan

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:05 pm

Reynolds comes to defence of his biggest fan

AuthorMichael Chammas Chief Reporter Timestamp Thu 19 Apr 2018, 06:33 PM

Wests Tigers co-captain Josh Reynolds has leapt to the defence of his biggest fan, who was the victim of abuse on social media this week.

Eleven-year-old Emmi Riley is a self-confessed Canterbury Bulldogs tragic. She also adores Reynolds.

Which is why she was on the hill at Brookvale Oval last Sunday afternoon with a "I love my Grub" banner cheering on her hero in his first game for his new club.

Her smiling face was plastered all over social media following the match, however she soon became the subject of criticism from a minority of Bulldogs fans questioning her loyalty to the club.

"They've never met me, they don't know me," an emotional Emmi said.

"They saw that I support the Bulldogs but I'm going to a Tigers game but that doesn't mean anything because Im there to support Josh.

"So since they've never met me, they can't say anything that I shouldn’t be supporting the teams."
Emmi Riley with Josh Reynolds.Emmi Riley with Josh Reynolds. ©Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
When learning of the abuse hurled at Emmi, Reynolds jumped at the opportunity to meet with her this week, despite having to deal with the heartbreak of another injury setback himself.

Reynolds wanted to provide her with the reassurance she needed, taking aim at those people who hurt his biggest admirer.

"It's disgusting to be honest," Reynolds told NRL.com.

"To hear that from a young girl, these people need to think how she is thinking … good on her. She doesn't have to listen to what anyone else says. She's just enjoying the game. She's supporting me and that’s what she wants.

"For a grown man to say that to a young girl, they really, really have to have a good look in the mirror.

"It's obviously about supporting your team but the young girl just wants to have fun. If she wants to support 10 teams who cares?

"They're kids. Kids should be able to do whatever they want and enjoy the game. It really did get on my nerves when I heard people were making some bad comments. People just need to grow up and realise what they're saying."

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:53 pm

There's some weird people out there. Who would pick on a young girl for something like that? Should ban them from attending any more games if they go.

Not surprised they're bulldogs supporters tho....

Hats off to joshy. Really like our grub.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:55 pm

Gotta love passionate fans.

Dogs supporters what else would you expect.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:58 pm

Good on her for supporting Josh. Sad that people feel the need to put her down for it, makes you wonder what’s wrong in their lives.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:51 pm

Club should give her and a parent a season ticket would be great PR and she could see what decent supporters are all about.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:57 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:51 pm
Club should give her and a parent a season ticket would be great PR and she could see what decent supporters are all about.

Great call!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:04 am

What a pathetic world we live in.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:39 am

hammertime wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:53 pm
There's some weird people out there. Who would pick on a young girl for something like that? Should ban them from attending any more games if they go.

Not surprised they're bulldogs supporters tho....

Hats off to joshy. Really like our grub.
You summed it up in two words - bulldogs supporters.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:58 am

Just goes to show how invested young fans get in the players - not easy to detach when they move on.

joelw2002

Post by joelw2002 » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:00 pm

It's ok for her to support Josh. But being a Bulldogs supporter then all of a sudden turning up to the Tigers game wearing a Tigers jersey. You don't support a team because of a player. Still pretty ridiculous that their targeting a young girl, you don't need to go that far. But they are Doggies fans so what do you expect.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:04 pm

joelw2002 wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:00 pm
It's ok for her to support Josh. But being a Bulldogs supporter then all of a sudden turning up to the Tigers game wearing a Tigers jersey. You don't support a team because of a player. Still pretty ridiculous that their targeting a young girl, you don't need to go that far. But they are Doggies fans so what do you expect.
She's 11 mate, kids get attached to their sporting heroes. Cut her a bit of slack.

It's not like she's a 40 year old virgin living with his parents and decides to swap clubs because he got banned off a forum.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:05 pm

joelw2002 wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:00 pm
It's ok for her to support Josh. But being a Bulldogs supporter then all of a sudden turning up to the Tigers game wearing a Tigers jersey. You don't support a team because of a player.
She is 11 years old - How rational were you at that age lol