Luke Brooks exclusive column: The lessons I learned from past State of Origin hype-up

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tacky

Luke Brooks exclusive column: The lessons I learned from past State of Origin hype-up

Post by Tacky » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 9:23 am

I’VE seen some headlines over the past week with people talking up my chances for a State of Origin jumper this year.

It’s nice to be linked to higher honours, but Origin isn’t at the forefront of my mind.

The Tigers are my focus and the way I am looking at it, any talk from outside about rep footy just presents an opportunity for me to handle a bit of added expectation.

It wasn’t too long ago that I was a young kid coming into first grade and people were calling me the next this and the next that.

It put a lot of weight on my shoulders very early in my career, and I’ll admit I didn’t quite know how to deal with it as a teenager.

I feel thankful now that I’ve gone through all that and I can use that experience to help me this time around.

Of course, that’s not to say that I don’t desire to play State of Origin footy.

Representing NSW has been my dream since I was a kid and if one day I get to pull on that famous blue jersey it will be a highlight of my career.

We all have memories of watching Origin when we were younger, cheering on the Blues and booing the Maroons.

I remember my Dad bought my brothers and I Blues jerseys one year. I got the No. 2 which was Timana Tahu’s number at the time.

I wasn’t even a winger, but I used to love watching Tahu and I was pumped to be wearing the same jersey as my footy idols.

People keep asking me if I think I’m “ready” to represent my state.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone knows if they are ready until they are out there in the middle of it on game night.

It’s not something I’m putting time or energy into anyway.

I can’t control what people say about my game, and I know I can’t control whether or not I get picked in the NSW team.

I just have to keep my focus on what I can control, and that’s what I’m doing at training and on game day for the Wests Tigers.

Rep footy can seem a way off when things aren’t firing at club level, but the first six rounds of our season this year have gone pretty well and I’m doing everything I can to help keep that momentum going.

We have started reasonably well and want to play in the finals this year, but every other team is the same.

The key for us is consistency which is a week to week thing.

I feel really confident in my own game and our team collectively, but we need to keep working hard and turning up for one another every chance we get.

From there, the rest will take care of itself.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3f0242e9bc
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

4jtigers
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by 4jtigers » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 9:32 am

Nice - a level headed young man. With the forwards laying the foundation for him. He is shining and like he said "the key for us is consistency".

I hope we win the comp this year, 2005 has been a long time.
Old Ways won't Open New Doors – author uknown

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:19 am

4jtigers wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 9:32 am
Nice - a level headed young man. With the forwards laying the foundation for him. He is shining and like he said "the key for us is consistency".

How about we just beat Newcastle this week then start talking about beating Parra the week later......
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:29 am

He's got a good, level-headed ghost writer.

I never ever read anything written by a current player or coach. If they say it in person on TV then fine, but when it's a column like this, almost certainly not written by the player even if he signs it off.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:06 am

Good positive media attention.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

4jtigers
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by 4jtigers » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 2:13 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:19 am
4jtigers wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 9:32 am

How about we just beat Newcastle this week then start talking about beating Parra the week later......
Nothing wrong with that too mate :sign: :lol:
Old Ways won't Open New Doors – author uknown

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 2:53 pm

Well I’ve got the one game at a time mentality. Just beat Newcastle this week please. So far, we’ve got 10 competition points because of it.

After this weekend, hopefully, we will have 12 points (and Parramatta Owen still, lol).
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 3:15 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:29 am

I never ever read anything written by a current player or coach. If they say it in person on TV then fine, but when it's a column like this, almost certainly not written by the player even if he signs it off.
Really? Why would they even bother then if not? I would hope it was written by him. Perhaps edited for grammar etc. but the whole exercise seems kinda pointless otherwise - might as well just be an interview.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 1:54 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 3:15 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:29 am

Really? Why would they even bother then if not? I would hope it was written by him. Perhaps edited for grammar etc. but the whole exercise seems kinda pointless otherwise - might as well just be an interview.
Because interviews can be done by anyone but first-person column writing tends to be an exclusive arrangement.

Paper tells the player what they want the article to say, player provides the pointers on the topic topic, ghost writer gets the material up quickly, to format, pre-edited, player reads it and signs it off.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 2:00 pm

Haha you're fooling no one Lukey... Origin aspirations are definitely at the front of his mind. And that's OK, perfectly normal to have ambitions. No one would or should criticise him for that.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...