Giving Up Home Games

Wests Tigers Discussion
mctiger

Re: Giving Up Home Games

Post by mctiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:42 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 3:32 pm
Stu, I heard some disappointing aspects from last night.... Apparently there was no pre match entertainment.... And I just found this on FB:

"There was 10082 at the game n I guarantee there would have been 8082 Tigers fans n not one of the players walked around after the game even Ivan left straight away. All the Knights players walked around for ages getting photos n autographs Cmon Tigers it was our home game n your fans turned out 🐯wasn't happy as there were kids there looking for their favourites "

Not a good look if true... No excuses.
That could be true. I didn’t pay any attention to it actually as I was still wiping the tears from my eyes.

There was a meet the players event on the Friday afternoon and a post match function at the club which drew heaps so maybe they felt that was enough. It was a pro tigers crowd for sure but don’t think it was 80%.

A bit unrelated but in the players function Benji was as popular as ever. They queue for photos with him was 10 deep for most of the night.

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 4:11 pm

I can see the arguments for both. Keeping the coffers healthy is important and taking games to the country areas is a noble idea that all NRL clubs should embrace. However, there's no doubting the benefits of playing in front of a true home crowd. Our most obvious home grounds are Leichhardt and Campbelltown and our best home ground results in recent years have been at Leichhardt. Unfortunately, in the last couple of years, we haven't won many games at either venue and as somebody pointed out, the reason we are taking games away from these venues is because we haven't been getting the crowds and, therefore the money. ANZ stadium guarantees us cash as well, which further diminishes our chances of playing at our true home grounds.
I think the key here is to win games. If we are successful people will turn up and, even though, we are trying to widen our appeal by promoting our label elsewhere, we should aim to keep all except two home games in Sydney, with the two provincial ones being in true western NSW locations such as Bathurst. Hopefully, our improved results this year will be reflected in a higher proportion of traditional home venues next season.
There is no simple solution. By the way, what's happening with the Centre of Excellence, at Concord, or whatever it's called? That may be a good resolution for the traditional Tigers and Magpies supporters as it seems to sit more or less in the middle of the two districts. Doesn't help the Campbelltown people though....

Bengaliwolf

Post by Bengaliwolf » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 6:50 pm

I think it's great that there have been more games played in the bush this year. I agree with the comments that every NRL club should have to take a game to the country each season.

I'm not worried about home game advantage. You'd never take a big game away from your home ground. We would have been expected to beat Newcastle even if it was played in Newcastle. Plain and simple, we weren't good enough.

If the team can earn a lazy $350k by taking a home game to NZ, I'm all for that too. If we are in a better financial situation, you probably won't hear our name thrown around when there's talk of removing a Sydney team. Plus we'll be able to afford more support staff etc.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:03 pm

stadium.jpg
stadium.jpg (106.67 KiB) Viewed 626 times
The new Western Sydney stadium is looking great.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:06 pm

I drive past often, its more progressed than that photo

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:06 pm
Really? I got that from a post on LU that said it was then today.
I'm starting to think you can't believe everything you read on the net.. :o

It must look impressive Ink.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:41 pm

We’ve just debated over giving up our home territory and yet conclude that we should play 12 games in the heart of Parramatta?
I’m not opposed the situation but it needs to be even share with Parramatta and the Wanderers. Now that would require us to possibly pay a fee to ensure it is branded as our home ground and we are not just borrowing it off Parramatta.
On Scully Park.
I went to the ground. Loved the Idea but hated the fact that it’s basically a Knights area.
Knights let us play that right into their hands.
An ‘extended’ home game for them. Media going on all week about how good the knights are for taking a game to the country. We also laid over when they decided to where their ‘orange’ jersey. At the ground there was even share of the ground, unfortunately you could not hear the speakers so the lead up to the game was only built up based on our own anticipation. So their was no extra Tigers features only the RoarStore parked in the car park.
And then the game started and I couldn’t believe the ground support for the knights. It felt like they were the home team in every facet.
My opinion and suggestion is if you are taking a home game to another ground sure the away team travels twice as far so we can capitalise on some home team treatment.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:50 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:06 pm
Really? I got that from a post on LU that said it was then today.
I'm starting to think you can't believe everything you read on the net.. :o

It must look impressive Ink.
Yeah I think a lot more of the concrete tiering has gone in composted to that pic

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:59 pm

Needaname wrote:
Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:41 pm
We’ve just debated over giving up our home territory and yet conclude that we should play 12 games in the heart of Parramatta?
I’m not opposed the situation but it needs to be even share with Parramatta and the Wanderers. Now that would require us to possibly pay a fee to ensure it is branded as our home ground and we are not just borrowing it off Parramatta.
On Scully Park.
I went to the ground. Loved the Idea but hated the fact that it’s basically a Knights area.
An ‘extended’ home game for them. Media going on all week about how good the knights are for taking a game to the country. We also laid over when they decided to where their ‘orange’ jersey. At the ground there was even share of the ground, unfortunately you could not hear the speakers so the lead up to the game was only built up based on our own anticipation. So their was no extra Tigers features only the RoarStore parked in the car park.
And then the game started and I couldn’t believe the ground support for the knights. It felt like they were the home team in every facet.
My opinion and suggestion is if you are taking a home game to another ground sure the away team travels twice as far so we can capitalise on some home team treatment.
If we used the new stadium we would just be tenants. The same as parra and the wanderers will be tenants.
Same as we are tenants of CSS, LO and Homebush.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 9:27 pm

Jeebus i'm over this crap - we need a home ground where we play 12 games - if that means playing them all at LO, CS, ANZ or Western Stadium then so be it - if we want to step up to the next level this needs to be done sooner rather than later. I don't know what the current contractual arrangements are at all these grounds but surely the board who have done a good job recently have the nouse to see that being a nomad club will never see us reaching our true potential.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 9:31 pm

Needaname wrote:
On Scully Park.
You say you were at the game but nothing you said about it reflected what actually happened at the ground.

Firstly the crowd split would have been 60% tigers at worst but more 70 tigers v 30 knights.

Their was also a while tiger town section with a giant cordened off area and the announcer was almost all tigers all the time pre game.

At no stage at that ground would anyone think that it was a knights home game so im guessing you wernt actually at the game.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:10 pm

Media going on all week about how good the knights are for taking a game to the country.
I didnt see/hear/read this at all anywhere

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:52 pm

Blah Blah Blah about scully park - who cares - we lost - it was a home game and we gave it away - we need to start building the mentality of we never lose at home and to do that we need a home ground where we play 12 games a year. I don't care where it is - but lets have one home ground - and only go to the bush when the NRL says we have to.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 12:09 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 3:32 pm
Stu, I heard some disappointing aspects from last night.... Apparently there was no pre match entertainment.... And I just found this on FB:

"There was 10082 at the game n I guarantee there would have been 8082 Tigers fans n not one of the players walked around after the game even Ivan left straight away. All the Knights players walked around for ages getting photos n autographs Cmon Tigers it was our home game n your fans turned out 🐯wasn't happy as there were kids there looking for their favourites "

Not a good look if true... No excuses.
Didn't sound like a 4-1 crowd advantage

And that really gets my goat , the players win /lose /draw should try and sign a few autographs

I know my young fella was really disappointed in Townsville a few years ago when we got wiped out 64-6 , we went down to the away fans area and they didn't even show their faces

Maybe Robbie is back at the club (Jokes ,just jokes )

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 7:38 am

We're only sulking about this because we lost.

We win in Tamworth and no one makes a sound.

The game is dying at grassroots in regional areas, the game needs to make a commitment to these communities to show that they are still important to the game and not forgotten.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:48 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:59 pm
Needaname wrote:
On Scully Park.
If we used the new stadium we would just be tenants. The same as parra and the wanderers will be tenants.
So what, are you advocating buying a stadium?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:21 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:48 am
gallagher wrote:
Needaname wrote:
On Scully Park.
When there will be two (and another redeveloped) new stadiums in Sydney soon?
No. I'm not a moron.
I'm pointing out we will be renting one ground so it may aswell be the best ground.

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:33 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:48 am
gallagher wrote:
Needaname wrote:
On Scully Park.
I think he means it is not one clubs ground and to that point he is correct. We the tax payers are building this state of the art stadium and it should be used by as many organisations as possible . Why would the club not play out of this new facility it makes perfect sense, the time for decision is coming as a choice between a 1/8 filled ANZ that is not paying any handouts to a brand new smaller stadium that will have atmosphere that supporters and corporates will gravitate to .... I believe in progression and IMO being apart of this facility will finally establish our club long term. This debate has to be had time for the hard choices.