Coach what is happening

Wests Tigers Discussion
The Patriot

Re: Coach what is happening

Post by The Patriot » Sun 06 May, 2018 7:44 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 3:19 pm
So another re-building ..re-engineering.. watershed ..build a foundation ..always next year year...sweeeeet...

Yeah people aren't going to cop that one bit.
Its an opinion!

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 06 May, 2018 7:49 pm

hsvjones wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 7:14 pm
Its time to go back to basics as i think we have brought into the media and think we are better than we actually are...
We really need a hooker that can make metres from dummy half and draw penalties.. Liddle is the best at this for us.
I also agree on signing some players to get to 29/30... Surely we have the money to pick up an aggressive player somewhere.
No I think we are this good evidenced by opposition coaches saying it was good to win against us.
As for hooker personality wise don't want him but there is a guy going cheap that fits your pre requistes who has a point to prove. Was playing for Norths at Henson on TV on Saturday.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 06 May, 2018 7:52 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 3:19 pm
So another re-building ..re-engineering.. watershed ..build a foundation ..always next year year...sweeeeet...
Yes GEO,we have heard this many times,but for me this year is one of the most promising years since 05 to build and develope a squad with an outstanding coach who cares about the team and club.....if we hadnt had these woeful injuries to his main players I think we would be in a far better position...
Packer,Reynolds,MWZ,Tui and Liddle are very capable players and yet we havent had a huge blowout score this season while they have been sidelined....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 06 May, 2018 8:13 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 7:49 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 7:14 pm
Its time to go back to basics as i think we have brought into the media and think we are better than we actually are...
We really need a hooker that can make metres from dummy half and draw penalties.. Liddle is the best at this for us.
I also agree on signing some players to get to 29/30... Surely we have the money to pick up an aggressive player somewhere.
No I think we are this good evidenced by opposition coaches saying it was good to win against us.
As for hooker personality wise don't want him but there is a guy going cheap that fits your pre requistes who has a point to prove. Was playing for Norths at Henson on TV on Saturday.
Give it up Mate!! for God's sake.

the third

Post by the third » Sun 06 May, 2018 8:21 pm

This thread went south I believe. Pessimists are out. We look good for a top 8 I reckon, top 4 is probably not realistic - given the last few years I’m ok with that. Real rebuilding happening.

NQ are beatable without Hess, a couple of players back from injury and maybe a signing.

This year is different

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 06 May, 2018 8:56 pm

It’s not about being a pessimist, it’s about being a realistic. I have been following footy for close to fifty years and I think I have a pretty good idea how a team is going and what their potential is, and what I have seen we will not make the 8.

You can discard early season wins, every years the same, a team charges out of the blocks, but stumbles when the grind hits, Dragons were the team a year or so ago.

With some clever but quality recruitment we are not far off a good side, but 2018 we are still way off the pace

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 06 May, 2018 9:06 pm

People are underestimating the injury toll we have. We can’t go long stretches without Packer, Liddle, Reynolds, Lawrence, ET out of the squad. In addition Tui has been injured and looks unfit + we have cap space and 2 positions not taken with Milne, Sironen.
Given we have played Storm twice, Warriors, Roosters and moved two home games we are placed well. We also play until round 21 in Sydney and won’t be origin affected.

I hope Cleary gets a couple of players in the squad before the season drifts as we need another hooker, a back rower and an impact forward preferably on an edge.

Squaddy

Post by Squaddy » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:19 pm

It's Packer. Once he's back, it'll all change.

We've lost 3/4 games that he's been missing, and in the game we won we walked over the opposition and didn't defend for the first 40 because the ball was park in Manly half. Knights, Eels and Warriors all ran through us, and I think both the ability and leadership of Packer is being missed big time.

Honestly though, at 5-4 after 9 games, I'd have said it was extremely unlikely preseason, so we're still going strong.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:29 pm

With our draw , new players and pretty much new coach, if anyone said we would be 5-4 I’m sure we would have all taken it. Decisions go our way Agaisnt Brisbane and Newcastle and we are 7-2. We’ve had adversity or bad decisions in every game we have lost. We have injuries that we can’t cover with the squad we have. People need to take a chill pill and calm down. Our biggest issue is injuries and completion rates. I’m enjoying this year more than I have in a long time and it’s because we are giving our best and competing in every game. Keep going Ivan the faith is still there.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Mon 07 May, 2018 12:38 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 11:08 am
3 losses on the trot got the last coach punted.... :o

No meandering now Justin...
3 loses on the trot is not why the last coach got punted. He got punted coz he is not and never will be a first grade coach. No man management, gets punched out by his own players and helped us into what we were when he was in charge. 3 loses will happen to every team. You have no faith. Stop dragging the team down so early. Things will swing. I'm confident.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 07 May, 2018 2:13 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 11:08 am
3 losses on the trot got the last coach punted.... :o

No meandering now Justin...
Makes you wonder if we will ever find the perfect coach , doesn't it ??

I reckon Pascoe starts ringing around the minute we lose a game

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Mon 07 May, 2018 7:16 am

TYGA wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 9:06 pm
People are underestimating the injury toll we have. We can’t go long stretches without Packer, Liddle, Reynolds, Lawrence, ET out of the squad. In addition Tui has been injured and looks unfit + we have cap space and 2 positions not taken with Milne, Sironen.
Given we have played Storm twice, Warriors, Roosters and moved two home games we are placed well. We also play until round 21 in Sydney and won’t be origin affected.

I hope Cleary gets a couple of players in the squad before the season drifts as we need another hooker, a back rower and an impact forward preferably on an edge.
There’s a good point you bring up there about where we play in the coming weeks and we won’t be origin affected. But we have to get our spine playing more together and that has to start in the next month.
Think it starts by putting Marshall on the bench against the cows. Bring in Gamble as a foil for Brooks until Grub is ready to slip into the 6. Desperately need Liddle injury free as our other options are not up to scratch. If he can’t get back on the field I think Ivan should look for a quality hooker currently playing for North’s in ISP.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 07 May, 2018 8:08 am

maxxy86 wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 7:16 am
TYGA wrote:

There’s a good point you bring up there about where we play in the coming weeks and we won’t be origin affected. But we have to get our spine playing more together and that has to start in the next month.
Think it starts by putting Marshall on the bench against the cows. Bring in Gamble as a foil for Brooks until Grub is ready to slip into the 6. Desperately need Liddle injury free as our other options are not up to scratch. If he can’t get back on the field I think Ivan should look for a quality hooker currently playing for North’s in ISP.
Not you too!!!! Maybe we could look at buying Mario Fenech or Danny Buderus - he's nearly as old.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Mon 07 May, 2018 10:31 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 07 May, 2018 8:08 am
maxxy86 wrote:
TYGA wrote:

Not you too!!!! Maybe we could look at buying Mario Fenech or Danny Buderus - he's nearly as old.
They’d have to be registered with the nrl Russ
Then yes I’d look into it.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 07 May, 2018 10:37 am

TYGA wrote:

I think people are over exaggerating the injurys, compared to other sides our injuries are nothing.
To me we've only had 2 injuries that effect us Packer and Liddle.

Reynolds has never played in this team so it's not as if he's being missed and it's not as if he's at the peak of his powers in career best form.
The rest of them have been niggles hammys out for a week or two and easily accommodated for.
I have no idea what's going on with Tui but on form he doesn't get picked anyway, no great loss.

Look at the Panthers run of long-term serious injuries, to key players and look where they are on the ladder.
Look at the Broncos or Parra or Titans or Cronulla or just about every club bar St George.
Newcastle lost Mitchell Pearce and they're still winning games, how do you think we'd go if we lost Brooks?
South's lost Reynolds and they still won games, the Warriors lost Johnson and we're still winning.

We haven't had a bad injury run yet!!
Anyone who is using injuries as an excuse is doing exactly that, using it as an excuse.

The same as people saying Ben Matulino will be better when Packer comes back, if Matulino can't play unless Packer is in the team then he can go back to the Warriors as far as I'm concerned. That's just an excuse.

If you think Packer or Liddle are going to change us much your gonna be in for a shock, the wheels have well n truly fallen off this team.
If you think Ivan doesn't know it you can't read body language,
Ivan is a cool customer but I'm telling you now he's feeling the pressure.
If we loose this game on Thursday night you watch the Sydney media pile on the pressure big time.
Whatever we had that was keeping us in games for 80mins has vanished, and it's real hard to get back once it goes.
Last edited by TIGER on Mon 07 May, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Mon 07 May, 2018 10:45 am

maxxy86 wrote:
TYGA wrote:

The drop off from Liddle to ET, Goodinet or Mcilwrick is huge. Packers play and leadership can’t be replaced. These are the key injuries albeit Reynolds had to be starting at 5/8 when fit. Marshall is the perfect bench utility.

I don’t think we are good enough to be missing key players for long periods it’s catching up with us now.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 07 May, 2018 11:07 am

maxxy86 wrote:
TYGA wrote:

Not a great idea throwing a rookie to the wolves at a packed Leichhardt TV game in a close-to must win match against the best player the game has ever seen.

It's just not how you introduce a young player into the NRL if you don't have to.
Gamble will get his time probably due to injury later in the season, you can't expect a rookie to turn this team around.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Mon 07 May, 2018 11:24 am

Everyone is missing my point about bringing in Gamble......
I’ve never been the biggest Luke Brooks fan I’ll be honest, but this is the best I’ve seen him play ever. He looks in control and progressing well when it comes to game management. The last 3 weeks Benji has been overplaying his hand and negating the good work Luke has put in.
SOLUTION!!!!
This is why I want Gamble in the team so
Luke Brooks can own this team by himself and I’m sure Tyson will account for himself just fine. Benji can be used sparingly from the bench.