Cammy to Quit SOO

Fade To Black

Re: Cammy to Quit SOO

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 15 May, 2018 8:36 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 7:44 pm
yeti wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 7:38 pm
Cam Smith may well be a guy everyone - south of the border - loves to hate. And I am certainly in that boat. Can't stand him.
However, he is without doubt one of the greatest ever players. And he would have been great in any era.
Congratulations to him.
Totally disagree - would not have lasted 5 seconds if he had to be a hooker.

In the era of Billy Wilson, Billy Marsh, Brian Davies, Noel Kelly etc. etc.

No Cammy there - he would have been dead. At a minimum would have had a face like a cauliflower.
Would of been great seeing his head used as a heavy-bag. Cowardly cheap-shot types like Cammy got sorted out pretty quickly in those days with a haymaker or a headbutt.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 15 May, 2018 8:42 pm

Cheered for him in the Maroon but as far as being an immortal goes i would like to see some others mentioned before him.

In my mind to be an immortal you need to be leaps and bounds in front of the next best of your generation.

Unfortunately, Robbie Farah got real close to him for a number of years.

Hall of fame certainty. Yes.

Immortal nominee no doubt. But lets give it some time.
Its an opinion!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 15 May, 2018 8:47 pm

He’ll definitely be an immortal. Though it could be conflict of interest once he retires and becomes one of the NRL’s top officials.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:03 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 8:36 pm
Russell wrote:
yeti wrote:
Cam Smith may well be a guy everyone - south of the border - loves to hate. And I am certainly in that boat. Can't stand him.
However, he is without doubt one of the greatest ever players. And he would have been great in any era.
Congratulations to him.

No Cammy there - he would have been dead. At a minimum would have had a face like a cauliflower.
Would of been great seeing his head used as a heavy-bag. Cowardly cheap-shot types like Cammy got sorted out pretty quickly in those days with a haymaker or a headbutt.
One of the" greatest ever players"
Well he was really good, except for those few years, where he had to play in a run of the mill team ,with players around him that were a bit ordinary.
IJust cant remember just what team that was.

Ah well, someone will remind us which battling team it was.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:07 pm

Icon wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 1:07 pm
saw the writing on the wall for Qld.
It seems to be a remarkable coincidence, thats for sure,
maybe its a dummy spit because those naughty Refs have started to treat him like everybody else.
even the Judiciary is over him

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:35 pm

Had to laugh when Kevvie called him "a great ambassador for our game". Sorry Kev, no he isn't .
He wouldn't be so universally despised if he was a good bloke with a clean record minus the cheating and grubby, cowardly techniques he has introduced and employed over the years.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:38 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 7:41 pm
People are absolutely tripping thinking he retired because he was scared of losing.

He made the right decision based on his form this year, his time has come.

The suspension made him realise he has lost a bit.
He made the decision based on the physical inability in him being unable to back up for Melb after each origin last year

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:45 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 9:38 pm
The Patriot wrote:
People are absolutely tripping thinking he retired because he was scared of losing.

He made the decision based on the physical inability in him being unable to back up for Melb after each origin last year
Slater and Smith look like they are playing 3 roles at the moment

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:57 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 9:38 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Agreed, the signs are there.
Its an opinion!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 15 May, 2018 11:17 pm

I think they will make him an Immortal for, as much as anything, his nearly peerless rep career (and so many of those being rep victories) and number of accolades.

You can talk up Farah as a close competitior, and for a while Farah was certainly Smith's peer, but Smith has played nearly 100 games more than Robbie and is still top of his game (they are the same age).

Farah won Dally M hooker of year twice ('07, '10) and almost won Dally M overall twice, but Smith has won Dally M hooker 6 times, Dally M once, Dally M rep player 4 times, Dally M captain twice and Golden Boot 2007.

I'm not a massive fan of the bloke but he'll play 400 FG games before he's done; nobody's close to that, and he's done it all - captained at every level, won convincingly at every level, hardly missed a game. In fact since 2003, 15 completed seasons, Smith has only missed something like 35 games total, averaging 2 per year, and I expect most of those are due to Origin. Win rate of 70.81% all-time.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 15 May, 2018 11:27 pm

Qld loses so much going into the 2018 series

Thurston ,Cronk ,Smith ,Gillett and McGuire

Something someone mentioned on 360 is Qld stop going up in almost guaranteed 6's

If they don't pick DCE , next best kicker is Valentine Holmes and he isn't even the best at his club

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 16 May, 2018 6:38 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 11:17 pm
I think they will make him an Immortal for, as much as anything, his nearly peerless rep career (and so many of those being rep victories) and number of accolades.

You can talk up Farah as a close competitior, and for a while Farah was certainly Smith's peer, but Smith has played nearly 100 games more than Robbie and is still top of his game (they are the same age).

Farah won Dally M hooker of year twice ('07, '10) and almost won Dally M overall twice, but Smith has won Dally M hooker 6 times, Dally M once, Dally M rep player 4 times, Dally M captain twice and Golden Boot 2007.

I'm not a massive fan of the bloke but he'll play 400 FG games before he's done; nobody's close to that, and he's done it all - captained at every level, won convincingly at every level, hardly missed a game. In fact since 2003, 15 completed seasons, Smith has only missed something like 35 games total, averaging 2 per year, and I expect most of those are due to Origin. Win rate of 70.81% all-time.
And two contracts in one season... Is there nothing the bloke can't do?
Phenomenal

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 16 May, 2018 6:46 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 11:27 pm

Something someone mentioned on 360 is Qld stop going up in almost guaranteed 6's

If they don't pick DCE , next best kicker is Valentine Holmes and he isn't even the best at his club
DCE is a proven failure at Origin level. Ben Hunt has earned his chance imo.

yeti

Post by yeti » Wed 16 May, 2018 8:04 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 8:36 pm
Russell wrote:
yeti wrote:
Congratulations to him.

You guys are kidding yourselves. You reckon he couldn't have played with a couple of cauliflower ears and a flattened nose? He still would have been the best on ground.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 16 May, 2018 9:15 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 16 May, 2018 6:46 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 11:27 pm

DCE is a proven failure at Origin level. Ben Hunt has earned his chance imo.
Totally agree Gunners , just saying how many SOO games are won by two points , probably because Thurston has kicked a massive sideline conversion

Valentine Holmes isn't JT as a goal kicker

Qld don't have that , take Smith and Cronk out of the equation as well ........

Hooker becomes a problem , will McCullough get the 80 , do we need a bench replacement .....basically then you look at can we carry a hooker and Morgan as a utility

Then experience comes into the question , Qld have lost most of it , Scott has to be picked and then Qld is restricted in who they pick , as much as Jai Arrow and even Ponga probably deserves a spot in the 17 , can they pick them both with all the lack of experience

Can Qld still win 2018 series , maybe , but they need to be looking at the future as well or we could see NSW dominate just as Qld has

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 16 May, 2018 9:22 am

Queenslanders...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 16 May, 2018 10:10 am

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 16 May, 2018 6:38 am
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 11:17 pm

And two contracts in one season... Is there nothing the bloke can't do?
Phenomenal
I think Smith actually had 3 and was his own manager so no commission.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 16 May, 2018 10:12 am

I find the timing of this strange. Why wait until the last minute. I wonder if he is planning to retire at seasons end and wants to have a shot at going back to back to at a further claim to his career.