Benji's Kicking Game

Wests Tigers Discussion
Post Reply
Toowoomba Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu 15 Dec, 2016 12:35 pm

Benji's Kicking Game

Post by Toowoomba Tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 1:11 pm

What happened to it?
Spiral Bombs, touch finders and repeat sets. This is where Benji excelled earlier this year.

He was putting those spiral bombs sky high and giving fullbacks and wingers nightmares.
It was a really effective tactic causing some spillages, but it also allowed more time for the chasers to pressure the kick takers. I've been noticing Brooks doing more of the bombs and they aren't very effective.

The touch finders and grubbers in goal have gone from his game also.
I'd really like to see his kicking game utilised more like the early rounds.

I'm thinking the Tigers need to slow the pace down a bit. I think they have focused recently on quick starts and some frustration and errors are creeping in (Penrith game). We miss a lot of tackles, but scramble well. This takes energy out of the boys.

More touch finders for a breather and re-focus.
More spiral bombs to pressure the opposition.
Don't try the fast precision execution plays inside the opposition 20. Work them over with repeat sets and wear them down.
Play at our own pace and reduce the errors - safe and steady.

I dont care if we aren't scoring flashy tries and are only winning by only 2. A win is a win.
previously known as 'The Tooth'


User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2340
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Fri 25 May, 2018 1:43 pm

Pretty sure Benji talked a bit about this in an earlier interview this season?

Along the lines of how being pumped up can cause you to over-kick. You apply the same amount of effort that you've practiced with but because you are pumped and playing at 100%, that adds power that you don't know you're applying.

And I would guess that later, fatigue will do the opposite. It is a small window of timing and power to have a good NRL kicking game... spiral bombs being a good example.

For me it's another reason why Benji should play less minutes as there's probably less likelihood of both these happening?

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:20 pm

Great OP. 100% agree.
Brooks' kicking game has no direction or venom. Bit mystifying where Benji's kicking game went.
He needs to take the kicking away from Brooks (along with playmaking, running, passing etc...but I digress... ;) )

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29917
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Fri 25 May, 2018 2:41 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:20 pm
Great OP. 100% agree.
Brooks' kicking game has no direction or venom. Bit mystifying where Benji's kicking game went.
He needs to take the kicking away from Brooks (along with playmaking, running, passing etc...but I digress... ;) )
So the guy coming 2nd in the whole NRL for repeat sets should have it taken away...OK...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

criwdfluffer
Member
Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:34 am

Post by criwdfluffer » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:07 pm

On the upside its leagues ahead of milfords.


User avatar
Skip
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun 30 Apr, 2017 3:27 pm

Post by Skip » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:32 pm

Seems like a lot of the teams have adapted to Benji's spiral bombs
"It's not because i'm lazy, it's because i don't care"

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:36 pm

criwdfluffer wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:07 pm
On the upside its leagues ahead of milfords.
When watching Milford and Moses kicking games it shows you thinks could be a lot worse
in Ivan we distrust

User avatar
Cosimo_Zaretti
Member
Member
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 7:07 pm
Location: Camperdown

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:41 pm

EzyTyga wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:32 pm
Seems like a lot of the teams have adapted to Benji's spiral bombs
Bit of that, and also defences are working out how to limit our halves time and space. Penrith's speed off the line to shut out Brooks and Marshall was excellent, they'd clearly done their homework.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Fri 25 May, 2018 5:09 pm

Ok, so were loosing Benji in the halves and gaining Reynolds (who from memory is an emergency kicker, but not known for it).

Ivan, Fix Benji. Off Bench impact is where he is needed. If you read between the lines, a tired Benji plays badly.

Brooks Will develop as a kicker. But we should not ever rely on one kicker, teams see through this and just place pressure on that player.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29728
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 25 May, 2018 5:57 pm

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:41 pm
EzyTyga wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:32 pm
Seems like a lot of the teams have adapted to Benji's spiral bombs
Bit of that, and also defences are working out how to limit our halves time and space. Penrith's speed off the line to shut out Brooks and Marshall was excellent, they'd clearly done their homework.
Theyve been doing it all year
Theyve been offside all year
Theyre the most penalised team
Theyre cheats

User avatar
joelw2002
Member
Member
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun 08 Apr, 2018 1:27 am
Location: Campbelltown

Post by joelw2002 » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:08 pm

Agreed. I missed how Benji played in the early rounds, kicking to touch to get a breather, getting repeat sets, and just playing it smart and using his brain and not going for the fancy play every set. No more of this running across the field on the last tackle then flick passing it to one of your forwards who has no momentum going forward. No more risky kicks in the opposition 20 on only the 2nd tackle when we finally have find some rhythm and there's a chance of us scoring.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01. TheDaBoss.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:50 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:41 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:20 pm
Great OP. 100% agree.
Brooks' kicking game has no direction or venom. Bit mystifying where Benji's kicking game went.
He needs to take the kicking away from Brooks (along with playmaking, running, passing etc...but I digress... ;) )
So the guy coming 2nd in the whole NRL for repeat sets should have it taken away...OK...
Nothing like valid data to put an argument to bed! Go Benji!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29917
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:54 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 6:50 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:41 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:20 pm
Great OP. 100% agree.
Brooks' kicking game has no direction or venom. Bit mystifying where Benji's kicking game went.
He needs to take the kicking away from Brooks (along with playmaking, running, passing etc...but I digress... ;) )
So the guy coming 2nd in the whole NRL for repeat sets should have it taken away...OK...
Nothing like valid data to put an argument to bed! Go Benji!!
Except the player at No. 2 is Luke Brooks..

Benji is climbing the ladder for repeat sets given up..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:56 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 6:54 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 6:50 pm
Geo. wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:41 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 2:20 pm
Great OP. 100% agree.
Brooks' kicking game has no direction or venom. Bit mystifying where Benji's kicking game went.
He needs to take the kicking away from Brooks (along with playmaking, running, passing etc...but I digress... ;) )
So the guy coming 2nd in the whole NRL for repeat sets should have it taken away...OK...
Nothing like valid data to put an argument to bed! Go Benji!!
Except the player at No. 2 is Luke Brooks..

Benji is climbing the ladder for repeat sets given up..
Oh! Misread it. My bad

I blame Friday night beers
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Post Reply