Kids Footy

goldcoast tiger

Re: Kids Footy

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 01 May, 2018 3:40 pm

I agree that the main thing is the welfare of the kids.but that was never in question. Kids from both sides were at times being penalised for perfect tackles,and no one knows what some of the other penalty’s were for,
they were just told that they were tackling too hard,

These 2 teams would of hadpossibly ten Rep players players between them ( top 2 teams ), and it was laughable that they were getting penalties that in any other game they would be being congratulated for,
It wasn’t as if we had young kids Reffing , this bloke was an adult.
He just seemed to like being the centre of attention,
Never seen him before and hope it’s a long time before we do again

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:31 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 01 May, 2018 3:40 pm
I agree that the main thing is the welfare of the kids.but that was never in question. Kids from both sides were at times being penalised for perfect tackles,and no one knows what some of the other penalty’s were for,
they were just told that they were tackling too hard,

These 2 teams would of hadpossibly ten Rep players players between them ( top 2 teams ), and it was laughable that they were getting penalties that in any other game they would be being congratulated for,
It wasn’t as if we had young kids Reffing , this bloke was an adult.
He just seemed to like being the centre of attention,
Never seen him before and hope it’s a long time before we do again
A sad state of affairs that one. My young bloke played vs Southport last weekend and they were well outclassed but the boys never gave in. I was frustrated at the refereeing on the day as I thought a couple of times the ref could have allowed a few tries that were a 50/50 call. The game would have been a lot closer if the ref had let it, and that would have made it more fun for everyone.
I reckon that the coaches should be allowed on the field up until the under ten age si the team can be organised better. There's still a lot of disorganisation and frustration with the kids in almost all teams and I think it would make better players in the end.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 05 May, 2018 6:47 pm

they were when my g\son was in the tens.two years back.
not sure if it was sanctioned.
as almost all of the kids had played for a long time together, they played with out a coach on the field, but a lot of teams had their Coach there,
No one ever said anything about it as it helped the kids that had started later.

Helensvale 12 DIV 1 started todays game as if they had just met , however after 10 minutes, it all clicked back together and ended up about 6 tries to one No goal kicks , not sure why.
Against a bigger team , The kids tackled themselves to a good win.
Had a new player to the club this season,
and at last we have a bit more size(height anyway) and once this kid realises just what hes capable of, hes going to cause some problems for other teams.

I think today he got a glimpse of it when he pole axed one of the other forwards in a perfect front on ball and all tackle, he stopped him dead in his tracks , and just kept on going., certainly no fear.
Footys back on and the kids are loving it

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 07 May, 2018 7:17 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 05 May, 2018 6:47 pm
they were when my g\son was in the tens.two years back.
not sure if it was sanctioned.
as almost all of the kids had played for a long time together, they played with out a coach on the field, but a lot of teams had their Coach there,
No one ever said anything about it as it helped the kids that had started later.

Helensvale 12 DIV 1 started todays game as if they had just met , however after 10 minutes, it all clicked back together and ended up about 6 tries to one No goal kicks , not sure why.
Against a bigger team , The kids tackled themselves to a good win.
Had a new player to the club this season,
and at last we have a bit more size(height anyway) and once this kid realises just what hes capable of, hes going to cause some problems for other teams.

I think today he got a glimpse of it when he pole axed one of the other forwards in a perfect front on ball and all tackle, he stopped him dead in his tracks , and just kept on going., certainly no fear.
Footys back on and the kids are loving it
I wonder why they're not big on goal kicking.... that seems really odd. I remember last year back in WA the little blokes were kicking goals which was great to see but now, here in qld they tend to skip it altogether. Its a shame because my fella can knock them over the full size posts pretty regularly and comfortably and he's just 8. They do however make the kids take drop outs - go figure.
Was saying to the missus during the game over the weekend that no matter which sport you're involved in, it seems there's always one star. The guy that can weave, run and score from anywhere on the field and therefore always gets the ball, and there seems to be at least one or two that have no clue or interest and would rather watch the birds flying by or the kids on the next field whilst the play goes on around them. lol. Gotta love how kids work. Coaches on the field really should be the norm imo.
The little bloke played Runaway Bay and had a great time. Totally outclassed again, but they went over a couple of times.
Under 16s Div 2 played Robina and in a very hard and tough game got up 18-16. It was rugged and spiteful and there was a case of really ugly parent syndrome from our friends down there to the point which the ref stopped play and called for an official to sort it out. Why people have to carry on like that is beyond me. Disgraceful. Encouraging on field violence is pretty appalling from a parent.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 07 May, 2018 7:33 pm

luckily it doesnt happen too often around here, but ive seen it a few times.
someone said that our games were still trials, and thats the reason for no goalkicks.
We were supposed to have two trials. but in that case it must be three.
The way its going, the comp will be over before we start .

Also another strange thing is that the kids in the 12's in the School competion have scrums, but the clubs dont have them, also the schools play on a full field as well.
I meant to ask THE g\son what the Reps were doing. Could be anything.lol

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:37 am

We just happen to have Robina again this week. First round. Hopefully no shenanigans from the sidelines. Me thinks I'll be the Duty officer so if there are any knobs out on Friday night I guess I'll be dealing with 'em. Can't wait for that. :roll:

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 6:29 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 10:37 am
We just happen to have Robina again this week. First round. Hopefully no shenanigans from the sidelines. Me thinks I'll be the Duty officer so if there are any knobs out on Friday night I guess I'll be dealing with 'em. Can't wait for that. :roll:
Its hard to take a grown man seriously, when he's wearing a bib. :D

Finally got to start the 12 y Div 1 competition, [Yes including goals ]
Helensvale were able to get a good win ove Nerang 28 to 4.
The kids are starting to get it all together, and will only get better when the new guys are settled in.
Big day at Helensvale this Saturday With all the club playing there including seniors.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 7:56 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 6:29 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 10:37 am
Its hard to take a grown man seriously, when he's wearing a bib. :D

Finally got to start the 12 y Div 1 competition, [Yes including goals ]
Helensvale were able to get a good win ove Nerang 28 to 4.
The kids are starting to get it all together, and will only get better when the new guys are settled in.
Big day at Helensvale this Saturday With all the club playing there including seniors.

True that. I wasn't needed for the duty role thankfully.
The boys drew 20-20 in the end.
More spite and drama onfield saw one of ours and two of theirs sent to cool down. After the game, more appalling behaviour but this time it was carried out by supporters of the opposition who accused our fellas of mouthing off. (which they didn't) but what an over reaction. Harassing and bullying the kids is never on by grown adults who should know bette. Particularly given they are closely affiliated to a first grade player of a particular club up here.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:11 pm

Boys got smashed by the bottom side 38-12

If the players had put in as much as the fans from both sides it would have resembled a game from the late 70's

Oppositions side's 1st win of the season , felt good to see their fans get excited even though we got pumped, some of our fans didn't like it and the sniping started

Thing is if the boys had seen how their parents were behaving they would be embarrassed

I know a few of the parents from the opposition (EB , our prop and the opposition back rower compete every year in shot putt against each other in the rep trials ) , few our fans gave me the silent treatment after I congratulated them on their 1st win

One said something , and I reminded them our boys were in the exact same position 12 months ago when we lost 7 games straight and had 50 put on us in 5 of those 7 games .......

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 20 May, 2018 11:01 am

nice work happy.

Under nines seem to be mproving and they really enjoyed their game is currumbin yesterday. Ever matched plenty of great runs and tackles

Under 16s were down 16-0 @ half time vs Burleigh Bears.
Came back after the break to lead 18-16. With 2 minutes to play, on the attack and 5m from the oppositions goal line our 6 grubbers one in which nearly made it to Lang Park. Then they give away a penalty on the 4th to allow burleigh to steal a win with a late try as the siren sounded. It was all very Wests tigers..

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 21 May, 2018 7:12 pm

U12's div 1 played Burleigh 1 on Saturday, not sure of Goal count;I think we had about 3 goals
but I think it was 5 tries H'vale and Burleigh Nil,
The boys defence, was once again spot on, and though there was a couple of Boppers in the opposition the kids tackled their Butts off, and kept their line intact.
Our attack wasnt quite up to its usual level , but the opposition Defence was pretty good too and didnt give up
it was a major day at Helensvale , with almost the whole club including the Seniors also playing there on Sat afternoon

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 24 May, 2018 9:12 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 21 May, 2018 7:12 pm
U12's div 1 played Burleigh 1 on Saturday, not sure of Goal count;I think we had about 3 goals
but I think it was 5 tries H'vale and Burleigh Nil,
The boys defence, was once again spot on, and though there was a couple of Boppers in the opposition the kids tackled their Butts off, and kept their line intact.
Our attack wasnt quite up to its usual level , but the opposition Defence was pretty good too and didnt give up
it was a major day at Helensvale , with almost the whole club including the Seniors also playing there on Sat afternoon
Sounds like an event. love those big days of footy.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:26 pm

My young bloke's U8 team is playing at the Chooks/Titans game at Gosford on Saturday and he is really looking forward to playing at a "real" football ground.

A shame that they will be one player short yet again, but they have come along in leaps and bounds in the last couple of weeks, since getting bashed by a big and experienced side, that for the life of me I could not fathom at all, how after four rounds they could somehow be graded together.

This is his first year of league, as it is for most of the team, including the two girls, and the only two that have played before are playing up a year as we have no sevens. It was really sad for the kids when without consultation, the club (and I assume the other U8's coach) made a decision to split what was going to be a large squad into two teams, that would then have the bare minimum of eight each.

On the morning of the second last trial game, I was surprised to read about the split on the club's Facebook page, which basically said a decision had been made and no correspondence would be entered into, whilst also asking everyone to remember it is all about the kids enjoying themselves, rather than winning. To my and others horror and also unannounced, straight after the game that morning which was at a foreign ground, they separated the kids into two lines and told my son's one this is your new coach and you will be training at a different time from now on.

The kids were absolutely shell shocked at being separated from their friends that they had joined to play with, or even worse, for our underage boys, their teammates from last year. At least I had read about it, whilst some other parents were as surprised as the kids. The hypocrisy of the situation was oh so stark when looking at the two lines and seeing one that consisted of the big and experienced kids and the other full of newbies and the small and underage rejects. Not about winning, my arse.

We soon lost two of the underage kids that were absolutely devastated at being separated from their former teammates, one of them who's father was also the team trainer, even travelled past three or four other clubs to play as a Bulldog. I found another newbie to fill one of the spots and he has now gotten past stopping when he gets to the defence, but he is yet to make a tackle in any game.

Anyhow, rant over and looking forward to them playing and forming a guard of honour in front of the crowd this weekend, even though I have now had to become the the one that will be on the field marshaling them, despite wanting to keep at arms length from my young bloke's sport.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 6:24 am

FG , it seems that it was done in a hamfisted way; but it’s a tough question of what to do with inexperienced and smaller kids around that age.
The kids of the Coast are graded around under 12s. I really think that they should be graded long before that,
As an example, my G/sons team had three or four kids ( including him )that have played since they were 5; Two of which had A football in their hands since they could sit up. Due to their dads large association with the game as players

The result was , that more than half of the team were really advanced for their age, and could run hard and Tackle hard ,and the others were very inexperienced , then throw into the mix in the case of a couple clubs , some very very big kids , and you’ve got a very hard job to run a competition or select teams in those young ages.

This wasn’t the only team in the comp in this situation.,
It’s hard for some young kids to come into a team and play against bigger or more experienced opponents, but grading younger would be a start.
The problem is made harder by the number of really big players coming into the game.
Places where there isn’t enough kids to grade them ,have a big problem, and there isn’t much they can do in that situation.
However, It seems that your club isnt very good at communicating with the families that are involved.

As far as the coming game for your kids, , if both teams aren’t playing at the same time ask one of the kids from the other team
If they’ll come and play with them
Or maybe the team you are playing will lend you a player if they have extra kids.
Look at it this way, the kids will be on the field longer; they will love it.
Sounds like the club is trying to do something about the inequalities that face clubs these days, but maybe need to get a bit better with keeping people advised of what’s happening.
Grading , though , only works where there is enough teams to have a Couple of divisions at different skill levels

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 25 May, 2018 3:12 pm

Yeah GCT, there are many things that have to be considered and juggled by those that are trying to run junior competitions, with the vast majority of officials very generously giving up an incredible amount of their time as volunteers to keep them running. As such, I am generally loath to aim criticism their way, but the split at club level seemed to be catering to egos and was carried out in a manner that certainly justifies some.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 25 May, 2018 4:31 pm

Yeah, it seems that not much thought went into how to get to the point that they wanted to get to.
Whats the number of teams in that age group like overall?
we play in a big Competion ,AND , we, along with some other clubs have big numbers of kids.
But the same problems exists to a certain extent,, but the numbers give the clubs a bit more options
Hope your kids enjoy the " Real field" experience, and pick up a few tries

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 26 May, 2018 12:17 am

Boys almost knocked off the hot shot team and defending premiers tonight , got run down with about 4 minutes left according to the Mrs , led 14-12 and their half back got them home again 18-14

Actually their half back got all their points , 3 tries and 3 goals (tried to explain the some of the big boys to run at him and wear him out )

We might need to recruit this Ranga I've heard about out Penrith way ended up 3 tries each , goal kicking was the difference

Turns out what advice I give my boy is a waste of time , he got our MOTM tonight and his old man wasn't within cooee

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 27 May, 2018 11:44 am

formerguest wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:12 pm
Yeah GCT, there are many things that have to be considered and juggled by those that are trying to run junior competitions, with the vast majority of officials very generously giving up an incredible amount of their time as volunteers to keep them running. As such, I am generally loath to aim criticism their way, but the split at club level seemed to be catering to egos and was carried out in a manner that certainly justifies some.
I have no answers with regards to the lopsided abilities in show in juniors. I am however, strongly of the belief that big kids should not have to play up just because they're big. That's the games attraction. It's a combat sport and whilst we're talking kids, it's all relative in my opinion. A good coach - and I appreciate that not all teams have experienced coaches, can usually explain to kids the techniques to take on their bigger opponent. Still, that's not really what juniors is all about. But rather children running, learning and being part of a team that wins or loses and comes back to training because they want to be with their mates.