Hooker position - Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
matchball

Re: Hooker position

Post by matchball » Mon 28 May, 2018 2:48 pm

Cant we pick up a hooker somewhere?
No rival clubs have a good one sitting in ISP?

Ivan need to buy one.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 28 May, 2018 2:49 pm

andrew 474 wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:57 am
Roberto Farah , don't laugh , could be ok short term , he is still better than Liddle and behind Packer and Matts could be ok , Cheap ,
Please get serious.

He was better many moons ago - now he is just a cancerous wretch.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 28 May, 2018 2:52 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:08 pm
MissMe911 wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:29 pm
Stupid for JR to be at hooker.
Hes our 6
Options are Liddle, Benji, Killa
Exactly, the sooner we get Reynolds at 6 the better for everyone, Brooks will really shine with Benji out of the picture.
And Liddle, he had a huge chance today to make a statement, and he bombed it in great style.
If hadn't thrown that stupid pass in the first few minutes at the end of a really good break things might have been different. He would have lost confidence straight away and he never really seemed to get back in the game.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 28 May, 2018 2:54 pm

TIGER wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 2:03 pm
Mitch Rein
Yuk x 2

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 28 May, 2018 5:16 pm

from NRL.com

Taylor impressed with Liddle’s return from two serious injuries
Author Tanisha Stanton Timestamp Mon 28 May 2018, 05:01 PM

After watching the way Jacob Liddle has recovered from his second shoulder reconstruction, Wests Tigers forward Elijah Taylor thinks his days of filling in at hooker are numbered.

Liddle's comeback continued in his team's 14-10 win over the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, starting at dummy half for the first 28 minutes before taking a breather and returning to the field in the 73rd minute to finish the game.

Tigers co-captain Taylor believes the tenacity Liddle has shown on his road to recovery and impressive return suggests he is not far away from securing the hooker spot for 80 minutes.

"For a young kid to have two shoulder reconstructions at the same time - those are big injuries - and the way he's come back in great shape and great fitness, he has lifted the team," he said.

"Doing your shoulder can take a lot of confidence out of your tackling ability, especially if you're a hooker...you are going to be making 50-60 tackles a game on average.

"So for him (Liddle) to come back and play against Parramatta the first time (in round four) and absolutely kill it and then we played Manly and he absolutely killed it playing 80 minutes, it just goes to show his character and how much drive he has."

Taylor said the side still won't underestimate the Tricolours.

"They are still going to be hard, physical and tough, even though they are missing some players," he said.

"They are probably more dangerous because players are getting an opportunity in their team with a point to prove.

"I think they will start with plenty of enthusiasm."

With talk around Moses Mbye possibly joining the Wests Tigers at the end of 2018, Taylor said if he was to jump ship from Belmore, the fullback would offer experience and attacking flair.

"He'd be another attacking weapon for us,'' he said. "He's so dangerous bringing the ball back."
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Mon 28 May, 2018 5:41 pm

Sabre wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:08 pm
Liddle must be extremely unfit, he only managed to play 31 minutes. Having to carry a starting hooker who can only play that limited amount of time is too detrimental to keep persisting with. Taking him off then putting him back on late in the game wastes 2 interchanges.

And while he was on his service was poor too. His passing from dummy half was far too slow.

I'm not sure what we do.

Reynolds was impressive from dummy half however. Maybe we persist with him for the time being.
I think this may be what IC will do through the origin period. He mentioned post match interview that he had only played a handful of times since last year. I had forgotten he missed a lot of games late last season

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 28 May, 2018 6:28 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 2:18 pm
A crazy waste put Benji at hooker when he such a good attacking player and is handling defence quite well. Don't saddle with him with too many duties when he well become effective at none.

The present hooker situation was I pretty well predicted that was why I was lamenting Farah being thrown to the dogs, I mean rabbits, few years back. As in chess the reason people don't like to move a piece back to it's former position is that they don't like to admit that they made a mistake in doing that action in the first place. But if you really care for the Club then you bite the bullet. Surely Farah has also learnt lessons and not to in any manner disturb the boat.
To me Benji has been great and is a much better half than Reynolds. Benji's defence has been great. Yes he has missed a couple of tackles (not many) and he has been inconsistent at times but he has been great overall. His pass yesterday was something very few players can do. We just need Brooks to be the main man and Benji to add something offensively sometimes and defend well.

We are really struggling at hooker. Liddle looks like a potential world beater but he has a tonne of mistakes in his game at the moment. Reynolds was actually decent at hooker yesterday. I'd like to see Liddle and Reynolds share the role for the rest of the season and probably for the rest of Reynolds career at this club.

I'd keep Tui to play at 6 or look for another half hopefully Cleary when Benji moves on either this or next season.

There is no need to bring Robbie back though. It just wouldn't be worth the drama although if he was prepared to play reserve grade and be paid a pittance he would be welcome.

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 28 May, 2018 6:39 pm

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:32 pm
Liddle is our best hooker by miles, and arguably one of the best in NSW :sign:
I agree totally. He is the bloke we need to build the future around. He'll represent at SOO and as a Test hooker.

A genuine hooker. No need for makeshift answers in Marshall or Reynolds or others.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 28 May, 2018 7:00 pm

Lichaa if we're going to buy one.

Need to persist with Liddle through his injuries though, he's got the goods he's just broken and short of a gallop at the moment.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

willow

Post by willow » Mon 28 May, 2018 7:54 pm

Liddle is currently carrying an injury plus he's coming back from not one but two shoulder reconstructions - that takes time, particularly for a young bloke to hit top form. He's worth persisting with.

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:00 pm

LCA wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 6:39 pm
InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:32 pm
Liddle is our best hooker by miles, and arguably one of the best in NSW :sign:
I agree totally. He is the bloke we need to build the future around. He'll represent at SOO and as a Test hooker.

A genuine hooker. No need for makeshift answers in Marshall or Reynolds or others.
The problem is that Liddle isn't performing at the moment. Yes he does look potentially great but we should've learnt by now not to rely on potential. He definitely needs support for a while yet and I rate him highly as well.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:00 pm

Put a line through Godinet
Put a line through McIllwrick
Forget Taylor
Encourage Reynolds
Show patience with Liddle
Promote Braden Robson to the 30.

Simple!
Its an opinion!

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:40 pm

Braden Robson? Any good?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:46 pm

Mbye..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 29 May, 2018 10:54 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:00 pm
Lichaa if we're going to buy one.

Need to persist with Liddle through his injuries though, he's got the goods he's just broken and short of a gallop at the moment.
X2

Wonder IF Matt Parcell is homesick yet?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 29 May, 2018 10:54 am

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 8:00 pm
Put a line through Godinet
Put a line through McIllwrick
Forget Taylor
Encourage Reynolds
Show patience with Liddle
Promote Braden Robson to the 30.

Simple!
Profit!!!?

Lol, good in theory.
Other option is.... Recruit.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 29 May, 2018 12:50 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:54 pm
Liddle is currently carrying an injury plus he's coming back from not one but two shoulder reconstructions - that takes time, particularly for a young bloke to hit top form. He's worth persisting with.
Whats the current injury

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 29 May, 2018 12:53 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 12:50 pm
willow wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:54 pm
Whats the current injury
If anything it would be the sternum injury.

An injury free preseason will do Liddle wonders.

We will regret it if we let him go like a couple teams would be regretting Cook.

Ivan rates him highly in the interviews when he has spoken about him since he joined.