To those who are blaming Cleary

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Re: To those who are blaming Cleary

Post by The Patriot » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:03 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

Sigh,

They left because we were a very average club, they wanted better.

Jason Taylor played a massive part in making us a very average club.
Im sure Cleary impressed Tedesco and Woods but the damage was done. They were leaving.

Others like Farah, Addo Carr etc were let go or not prioritised much earlier in the proceedings.

Reality isnt complicated!
Its an opinion!


Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4871
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:09 am

We should have signed a few more Matt Ballins, nothing personal against the guy (I also have shot knees)
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22462
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:43 am

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:03 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

Sigh,

They left because we were a very average club, they wanted better.

Jason Taylor played a massive part in making us a very average club.
Im sure Cleary impressed Tedesco and Woods but the damage was done. They were leaving.

Others like Farah, Addo Carr etc were let go or not prioritised much earlier in the proceedings.

Reality isnt complicated!
No it isn't. And the reality is we were an average club with or without Taylor thanks to the incompetentcy of the previous board destroying our cap and shafting Taylor's predocessor. That's who your misplaced anger should be directed at. How Mayer recieves so little attention for this is mind boggling!

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:52 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:03 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

Sigh,

They left because we were a very average club, they wanted better.

Jason Taylor played a massive part in making us a very average club.
Im sure Cleary impressed Tedesco and Woods but the damage was done. They were leaving.

Others like Farah, Addo Carr etc were let go or not prioritised much earlier in the proceedings.

Reality isnt complicated!
No it isn't. And the reality is we were an average club with or without Taylor thanks to the incompetentcy of the previous board destroying our cap and shafting Taylor's predocessor. That's who your misplaced anger should be directed at. How Mayer recieves so little attention for this is mind boggling!
Lol you shouldn't just assume people like myself don't Blake Mayer. We do, I do.

But you'll never convince me Jason Taylor didn't set us back 3 or 4 years. He was an absolute pretender.

The Wests Tigers job when he came on was a good role, we may have been an average club but we had the big word Potential.

When he left all we were left with was a disaster zone.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
4jtigers
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Doonside NSW

Post by 4jtigers » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:56 am

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:52 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:03 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am

He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

Sigh,

They left because we were a very average club, they wanted better.

Jason Taylor played a massive part in making us a very average club.
Im sure Cleary impressed Tedesco and Woods but the damage was done. They were leaving.

Others like Farah, Addo Carr etc were let go or not prioritised much earlier in the proceedings.

Reality isnt complicated!
No it isn't. And the reality is we were an average club with or without Taylor thanks to the incompetentcy of the previous board destroying our cap and shafting Taylor's predocessor. That's who your misplaced anger should be directed at. How Mayer recieves so little attention for this is mind boggling!
Lol you shouldn't just assume people like myself don't Blake Mayer. We do, I do.

But you'll never convince me Jason Taylor didn't set us back 3 or 4 years. He was an absolute pretender.

The Wests Tigers job when he came on was a good role, we may have been an average club but we had the big word Potential.

When he left all we were left with was a disaster zone.
Jason Taylor might not have the people skills but he has the football brains. I don't think he set us back 3 to 4 yrs. He moved us forward - got rid of player power. It wasn't done properly but it was done. Cleary is reaping those rewards right now.

Again, the former hooker that we have is a very good player but he thinks he is bigger than the club. You can't have those types of people if you want to build a new culture.
Old Ways won't Open New Doors – author uknown


hank37w
Member
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun 20 Mar, 2016 6:23 am
Location: South West

Post by hank37w » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:56 am

It was especially shameful the way Mayer treated Mick Potter.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29374
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:56 am

Potential sucks..the end..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

We were a complete shambles in early 2017. Taylor left the club in horrible shape at a time when he should have been on the rise with a promising young roster with talent in key spots. We were a walking headline off the field. Our defence was non existent which is the main thing I said he would fix.

Under a decent coach we would have had players locked away in the summer and not gone into the season under such a dark cloud.

Cleary walked into a huge mess with players walking out the door already negotiating with other clubs. We have basically had to start from scratch. Any who expected big things in 2018 is kidding given we lost 3/4 of our best players in one season.

However that does not suit GNRs narrative as he was a big JT fan.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4871
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am

When considering the train wrecks that come about by back-ending contracts I think it would be better in the long run that such back-ending be barred. It would prevent the bursts and busts in league, that also occur in our economy and financial institutions when there are not safeguards in place.

Manly and Dogs are also in trouble. It should at least be adopted in WT constitution so that we should always have a decent team.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:03 am

Eddie wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

We were a complete shambles in early 2017. Taylor left the club in horrible shape at a time when he should have been on the rise with a promising young roster with talent in key spots. We were a walking headline off the field. Our defence was non existent which is the main thing I said he would fix.

Under a decent coach we would have had players locked away in the summer and not gone into the season under such a dark cloud.

Cleary walked into a huge mess with players walking out the door already negotiating with other clubs. We have basically had to start from scratch. Any who expected big things in 2018 is kidding given we lost 3/4 of our best players in one season.

However that does not suit GNRs narrative as he was a big JT fan.
Bingo
Its an opinion!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3377
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:05 am

Eddie wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

We were a complete shambles in early 2017. Taylor left the club in horrible shape at a time when he should have been on the rise with a promising young roster with talent in key spots. We were a walking headline off the field. Our defence was non existent which is the main thing I said he would fix.

Under a decent coach we would have had players locked away in the summer and not gone into the season under such a dark cloud.

Cleary walked into a huge mess with players walking out the door already negotiating with other clubs. We have basically had to start from scratch. Any who expected big things in 2018 is kidding given we lost 3/4 of our best players in one season.

However that does not suit GNRs narrative as he was a big JT fan.
Correct

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22462
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:22 am

Eddie wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

We were a complete shambles in early 2017. Taylor left the club in horrible shape at a time when he should have been on the rise with a promising young roster with talent in key spots. We were a walking headline off the field. Our defence was non existent which is the main thing I said he would fix.

Under a decent coach we would have had players locked away in the summer and not gone into the season under such a dark cloud.

Cleary walked into a huge mess with players walking out the door already negotiating with other clubs. We have basically had to start from scratch. Any who expected big things in 2018 is kidding given we lost 3/4 of our best players in one season.

However that does not suit GNRs narrative as he was a big JT fan.
Not really, when he was sacked, it was his time. The Raiders and Panthers games where we got thumped, indicating we had not improved over the summer was proof enough. I find the most ardent Taylors haters are intolerant of anyone playing devils advocate. Kind of like when the right accuse anyone of not chanting "Lock her up" being a Hillary lover. I only try and play devils advocate. But due to the vicsiousness of the hatred for Taylor, it gets seen as me being a fan. Im not, im glad he's gone. However im not a sheep.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2709
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:52 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:22 am
Eddie wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 7:15 am
Umm we are still rebuilding because Jason Taylor levelled the place. It was a total mess when he left. All our best players left and the club was the joke of the league.

The recruitment was as good as it coulod have been given the circumstances.

Cleary is doing a good job of putting it back together.
He was sacked before they left. If i recall, everyone was rejoicing saying they would now re-sign, that its what was holding them back. We needed a real coach they said. Cleary was here a good month and was asked specifically during his first press conference whether he would be involved in negotiations and his answer was yes. But Taylor is the reason they left...

Also, how do you rebuild something that was never built in the first place?

We were a complete shambles in early 2017. Taylor left the club in horrible shape at a time when he should have been on the rise with a promising young roster with talent in key spots. We were a walking headline off the field. Our defence was non existent which is the main thing I said he would fix.

Under a decent coach we would have had players locked away in the summer and not gone into the season under such a dark cloud.

Cleary walked into a huge mess with players walking out the door already negotiating with other clubs. We have basically had to start from scratch. Any who expected big things in 2018 is kidding given we lost 3/4 of our best players in one season.

However that does not suit GNRs narrative as he was a big JT fan.
Not really, when he was sacked, it was his time. The Raiders and Panthers games where we got thumped, indicating we had not improved over the summer was proof enough. I find the most ardent Taylors haters are intolerant of anyone playing devils advocate. Kind of like when the right accuse anyone of not chanting "Lock her up" being a Hillary lover. I only try and play devils advocate. But due to the vicsiousness of the hatred for Taylor, it gets seen as me being a fan. Im not, im glad he's gone. However im not a sheep.
You have to question whether defending Taylor has more to with his actions in getting rid of Farah rather than anything he offered as a coach. I think you will find they go hand in hand.
And of course those who defended Farah will be accused of not rating Taylor for the same reason.
So as fans maybe we are not in the best position to make an unbias evaluation of him.

The fact the club backed him through all the drama and then sacked him soon after - with
money to spend - pretty much says enough about how they viewed him as the coach to lead us out of the depths we were in, as far as Im concerned.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22462
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:03 pm

No doubt he was a hatchet man ala Brian Smith.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:00 pm

Comparing him to Brian Smith is Stretch. Brian Smith has multiple winning seasons, made multiple grand finals and was somewhat a career first grade coach. Taylor suppoded Hatchet was so unsuccessful that once he replaced the man you claim he was bought in to replace - the whole roster blew up on him a few months later and results worsened . That is not s successful hatchet job.

nrlcountrytiger
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by nrlcountrytiger » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:12 pm

The only problem i have with Cleary is hes such a great coach yet we where the only ones not playing a hooker at hooker and now he tries on the weekend but we've lost all momentum now its a bit to late....we look out of sorts and down on confidence not the works of a great coach...we need to try and win every week and i dont feel he does that sometimes...I feel he treats some weeks as a training run....If he was serious about winning he would choose better and put hookers in even he doesnt like them there better then Taylor....

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5886
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:24 pm

I think the problem is more than a hooker,

We may have farah back for the next 3 years.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2356
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:26 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:30 am
magpiecol wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:22 pm
TIGERPOWER wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 8:07 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:41 pm
So let me get this straight. We were in a quagmire with our cap as far back as 2014. We knew it was going to take a few years to fix it. We all saw 2018 as a beacon, because we knew that was when we could even out the books once and all. That’s been done and now we have to wait another 3 years? 🤔
Still defending the JT years of rubbish. Anybody who thought 2018 was going to be a breakout year has absolutely no idea about footy and should start following another sport. You were still supporting JT after 3 years of rubbish, yet your carrying on about Cleary after half a season, hypocritical to say the least.
Half a season? The team has played what? 15 rounds?

During those rounds they played crap for 40 minutes and some so called fans want to throw Cleary under his own bus?

Unbelievable.

:bash :bash :bash
We’ve been in almost every game this year. The one bad half against the raiders was every second game under JT. We have improved so much this year and I’m so proud of Ivan and the boys for what they have done. If we have some luck with injuries and referees then I think we could give it a good shake with the rest of the year.
We have improved and been thereabouts in almost every game this season for sure, but if you think we’ve only played badly for 40 minutes all year then you’re kidding yourselves. We have been on a steep decline in form over the past 8 weeks with old mistakes, bad habits and ill discipline creeping back in after what was such a promising start to the season.

We’ve shot ourselves in the foot in just about every loss during this period and our two wins were nothing much to celebrate either, scraping through against a horrid Canterbury team and beating a very out of sorts Cowboys outfit.

The decline in form is a real worry, there doesn’t appear to be any way of stopping it.

Post Reply