No - Over rated for the Price
58%

Total votes: 122

avocadoontoast

Re: NC worth a Million

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:47 am

coivtny wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 8:52 am
If Brooks is on $550k I'd pay Cleary around $650k because I think he's better than Brooks but not that much better. I don't watch many games other than Wests Tigers so I've had to judge him on 3 SOO games. To be honest I was really disappointed in his attacking game in all 3 Origin games.
So you've only seen him play in 3 games (against the best players in the game) but from that limited game time you are able to deduce that he's only worth $100k more than Brooks who's never played at rep level? Impressive.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:49 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:43 am
Be interesting to see how Cleary goes without Maloney beside him. Maloney makes him, imo. He takes the pressure off him having to control a game. That said, he seems to have a cool head so he may well be capable of taking hold of a game and not resorting to Hail Mary plays when the team is down, but he needs to find his voice as Fittler said.
Dont forget he didnt have Maloney last year, he had that reckless idiot Moyaln near him.....and he was still playing exceptionally at 19yo-20yo.

I think he is worth the money. Every great halfback, past and present is only as good as the number 6 next to him, the guy who provides the alternative. As much as I hate, HATE Munster, he is a good example. At club level, Thurston has Morgan, Cronk had Munster and now has Keary, Reynolds has Sutton/Walker. Its no surprise that St George are going well with Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. None of the halfabcks are worth a million without a decent 6. Other good halfbacks that cant operate properly because they have no decent number 6 are Ash Taylor, Mitchell Pearce, DCE at Manly, Shaun Johnson before Blake Green came along....

NC controls the play, goes for repeat sets, is a top line kicker, has a cool head and a far superior attitude to the game than most. He would be a great bloke to build a genuine football culture around. You need a quality 6 to go with him. They don't have to be a world beater, just quality. I'm not sure who you can get for the right coin. I actually think Mbye could be a chance at that 6 role if Cleary was there. He is a calm head, Good reader of play, has the ball skills. He wouldnt be my first pick, but he would be someone I would consider.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

willow

Post by willow » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:03 am

Need to spend the money on some aggressive forwards who roll forward. We all saw how good Brooks looked early behind a dominant pack - he's still playing reasonably well but our forwards no longer have the same impact as earlier in the season. I wouldn't see a need to move Brooks on if he's playing behind a pack that rolls forward more often than not.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:03 am

Yes because that’s what a club will pay him on the open marketplace.
I think he is quality playmaker, excellent goal and general play kicker, good ball runner and tough. Only will get better and you can build a team around him.
I would pay it if he wanted to come to WT .... no hesitation.
We already lost one irreplaceable fullback so .......

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:13 am

Geo. wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:30 am
tigerap wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:19 am
hsvjones wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:11 am
Remember he is young and the experiences he has got so far is amazing.. Playing SOO and with Maloney each week will help him. Plus he can kick goals and has a great read of the game with great cover defense.
Yes for me as you know he will keep working hard to improve with a good head on his shoulders... SIGN HIM up now.
Strategically it would be great for the club to sign him up....It would keep both the Cleary's at the club for a long, long time....something we badly need stability..NC will be a great halfback...in about 4-5 years time

Is that similar to Sheens type stability..?
Don't know what Sheens stability was...from what I can tell he was like a Swan on a river.....all calm up top but panicking to stay afloat below...Cleary and Pascoe are different characters and operators all together.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:21 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:47 am
coivtny wrote:
If Brooks is on $550k I'd pay Cleary around $650k because I think he's better than Brooks but not that much better. I don't watch many games other than Wests Tigers so I've had to judge him on 3 SOO games. To be honest I was really disappointed in his attacking game in all 3 Origin games.
So you've only seen him play in 3 games (against the best players in the game) but from that limited game time you are able to deduce that he's only worth $100k more than Brooks who's never played at rep level? Impressive.
Spare me the sarcasm. If you want to put a counter view, more power to you but don't belittle yourself by trying to belittle others. It says a lot about your character and none of it is good.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:30 am

The reality is he would be worth the 1 Million dollar mark on the open market .
Is he worth it is the Million dollar question ? If you tell me Mitch Moses is being paid $750k per year at the Eels then Cleary is definitely worth 1 Million .

Our forwards have run out of puff and are a bunch of softies except Lawrence , Marty Taupau is a must and Leesah Au Mau would of been a great pick up .

Nathan won't solve all the issues here but he could be a snowball effect in other quality players wanting to join the Club and building a team around him , if i was Nathan unless paying me massive overs wouldn't go to a Club like Wests Tigers as that would be putting the Blues Jersey in jeopardy as Aaron Woods found out this year but then again he played for the Blues playing for us :lol: If he wants to play semi final footy year in year out ? then wouldn't be going anywhere :lol:
Is that better ?
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:35 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:47 am
coivtny wrote:
Gee whiz.

Side note:

We all know those people who make bold assertions which are neither based on fact or evidence.

Then they say "i'm entitled to my opinion".

Yeah Nah

They aren't.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:41 am

If Teddy is 1.1m, Moses is 800k and Reynolds is 750k then he's worth a mill.

It's all about market value.

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:50 am

weststigerman wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:41 am
If Teddy is 1.1m, Moses is 800k and Reynolds is 750k then he's worth a mill.

It's all about market value.
Yep x2 that.

He's still young .. but his general play in the NRL week in and week out is of a high standard for someone so young. He has it all, can kick in general play, pass, run, takckle, and he can kick goals at a high percentage. He's got a pretty level head for someone so young as well. Give him a year or two and yes he'd be worth every penny that he demands.

The Panthers reckon they can muster up $1.1 mil a season for him come 2020, so we're gonna have to match that or better it if we want him. Here's hoping he'll come to us for less just to play in his dad's side.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:53 am

How much is Grub being paid?
Nathan is worth double.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:53 am

Forget about the money ladies and gentlemen

If we can't put a forward pack in front of NC that can hold it's own , he won't be coming even if we cough up 1.5 million

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:57 am

unpopular opinion

signing a quality outside back i.e Latrell Mitchell or a power forward i.e Fischer-Harris would make us a better team then signing Nathan Cleary would

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:04 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:57 am
unpopular opinion

signing a quality outside back i.e Latrell Mitchell or a power forward i.e Fischer-Harris would make us a better team then signing Nathan Cleary would
Not unpopular with me. To me our greatest needs are a top quality centre, a top quality running backrower and a line-bending prop. Of course the problem is finding those players available on the market and convincing them to come to WT. I think with those additions to our team Brooks would be a better half than he is today and the need for Cleary falls away. But, on a one to one comparison I do rate Cleary better than Brooks, I just don't see him as a priority signing.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:10 am

fergiefurr wrote:
unpopular opinion

Attachments
images (41).jpg
images (41).jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 201 times
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:12 am

$1M isn’t huge money for a rep level halfback these days
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:12 am

coivtny wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:04 am
fergiefurr wrote:
unpopular opinion

Not unpopular with me. To me our greatest needs are a top quality centre, a top quality running backrower and a line-bending prop. Of course the problem is finding those players available on the market and convincing them to come to WT. I think with those additions to our team Brooks would be a better half than he is today and the need for Cleary falls away. But, on a one to one comparison I do rate Cleary better than Brooks, I just don't see him as a priority signing.
Hard out..
Second row has always been an issue for us since we lost Dwyer and Ellis retired.

Lawrence has took his game to another level but he's probably the only top line back rower we have that's proven.
Garner looks good but he hasn't made grade.

We need to address this asap.
#Unbeatable

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:22 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:53 am
Forget about the money ladies and gentlemen

If we can't put a forward pack in front of NC that can hold it's own , he won't be coming even if we cough up 1.5 million
And again, off contract options are garbage 😔

Best option....
8. Twal
9. Farah (1 more year)
10. Packer (take the rest of the year off and come back strong)
11. Lawrence
12. Joe Tapine (early release. Better than Aloai, Sue, Mck and Huth)
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Sitaleki Akoula * (Hard)
15. Ben Matulino (impact prop / dud)
16. Villiame Kikau* (absolute beast)
17. Tepai Moeroa* (steal from Para, doesn't get much of a crack over there.

Strong bench.
#Unbeatable