Ivan Cleary admits he wants to bring his son Nathan to the Wests Tigers

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tacky

Ivan Cleary admits he wants to bring his son Nathan to the Wests Tigers

Post by Tacky » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:06 pm

WESTS Tigers coach Ivan Cleary admits his desire to bring son Nathan to Concord is real as speculation begins to swirl about Luke Brook’s future.

The Tigers have a big decision to make over the next four months as they attempt to lure Penrith and NSW playmaker Nathan to the club in 2020 with No.7 Brooks off contract at the same time.

Under NRL rules, both will be able to field offers from rival clubs from November 1 with Nathan stating his desire to sort out his future in the off- season.

Nathan has made clear his desire to work with his father at one point in his career.

“It’s just another recruitment option,” Ivan said.

Pushed on whether he would like to team up with his son at the Tigers, Ivan said: “Yes.”

It puts Ivan in an awkward position — he has previously told Brooks to own the side and the Tigers local junior has responded by turning in the best season of his career.

It remains to be seen whether the Tigers can accommodate both Cleary and Brooks in the same side.

Both are organising playmakers and are arguably too similar.

Asked whether his son and Brooks could play together as a six and seven combination, Ivan said: “Who knows.”

Brooks has stated he wants to sort out his future sooner rather than later and Ivan denies there is any lingering tension.

“I think Luke is doing really well this year,” Ivan said.

“I think he’s developing nicely as a player. He’s a good person, he loves the club and that’s really important. He’s doing a great job at the moment.

“He knows exactly what the story is.

“Rugby league in terms of retention and recruitment, it’s an ongoing circus really. Every day there is a discussion and it’s just how we roll.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e9c2efe00b
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm

Wow earth shattering ground breaking game changing revelations
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:16 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm
Yeah but at least he clarified its not at the Roosters
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm

Would love to see the interview / show this article comes from.

Id be guessing it was an offhand comment, meaning little.

As for "Brooks is seeking clarification" -
Reporter - , "would you like to stay at the tigers beyond 2019."
Brooks - "yeah"

News report - Brooks calls for contract to be extended now.

Australian journalism is rubbish

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:23 pm

Tacky wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:16 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm
Yeah but at least he clarified its not at the Roosters
Indeed! 👍

PrattenParkMagpie

Post by PrattenParkMagpie » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:28 pm

“He knows exactly what the story is.

This quote in the article says a lot, behind closed doors Brooks knows exactly what is happening, Ivan comes across as someone who tells it how it is and doesn't leave people hanging (unlike a few last year) and has already told Luke what his plans are and where he fits into the mix.

For the next 4 odd months the media is going to milk this for all they can get and will put their own spin and interpretation on any quotes to get their headline, get ready for the ride.
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

hsvjones

Post by hsvjones » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:40 pm

For me i would love to see - 1 -mbye / 6- Brooks / 7 - NC / 9 -Josh R
Josh would need a fully off season to get his body right for the 9 but gives us options if injuries occur.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:46 pm

Pres. MCK fan club

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:48 pm

hsvjones wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:40 pm
For me i would love to see - 1 -mbye / 6- Brooks / 7 - NC / 9 -Josh R
Josh would need a fully off season to get his body right for the 9 but gives us options if injuries occur.

Josh not a 9. Super sub at best. Extend farah for five years. As we have seen he is a hard player to replace.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:53 pm

Ivan, is this a good time to be bringing this idea up ! All is going well for the Wests Tigers at the moment....this could scuttle our season, as it could put Brooks "off his game" !!!!!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:00 pm

tigeress wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:53 pm
Ivan, is this a good time to be bringing this idea up ! All is going well for the Wests Tigers at the moment....this could scuttle our season, as it could put Brooks "off his game" !!!!!
Or take his game to another level? Often best performances come from players looking for a contract.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:03 pm

How can Luke "exactly know the story" ??

He wouldn't have a clue who we will recruit for 2019

He wouldn't have a clue who we are going to retain for 2019

In this day and age when contracts have more use as toilet paper ...... we could lose Lawrence ,Twal ,Marsters , Packerlino and they be replaced by nuffies and plodders

Yes they have a plan , but plans in this place haven't be known to work well , whether they be 1 year , 2 year , 3 year or 5 year

Not being negative , just pointing out the obvious

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm a fan of getting Cleary to the club but not at the expense of Brooksy. The kid has come leaps and bounds and absolutely loves the club

Plus if you were to rank them up beside each other as of current form Brooks outplays him in just about every facet, all behind a pretty average forward pack

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:10 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:00 pm
tigeress wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:53 pm
Or take his game to another level? Often best performances come from players looking for a contract.
We'll see, of course I hope you are right J :?:

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:13 pm

Big fan of
7. Cleary
6. Brooks
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:17 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:07 pm
I'm a fan of getting Cleary to the club but not at the expense of Brooksy. The kid has come leaps and bounds and absolutely loves the club

Plus if you were to rank them up beside each other as of current form Brooks outplays him in just about every facet, all behind a pretty average forward pack
I tend to agree with everything you've said. I'd love 1. Mbye 6. Brooks 7. Cleary 9. Farah or Liddle for 2020 but not sure it's possible with Reynolds chewing up so much cap space.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:29 pm

Doubt it will happen. Have heard rumours Nathan doesn't rate the coach.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:44 pm

Still the issues to be sorted out with our forwards before Nathan will even consider coming here

Got just over 3 months if you believe what we read

I don't think having NC here will attract forwards

Other way round