innsaneink

Re: TIGERS Rozelle Development

Post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm sure that's the case Quin

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 2:35 pm

quintus wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 1:29 pm
This all makes for very interesting reading whilst I sit here polishing my Balmain Leagues Club life membership badge.... If this building proposal goes ahead we will still be Wests Tigers because that's what we are now....We have been through all the infighting here and we know who is who and what is what....Wests Ashfield will never be forgotten for the big part they undertook to save Balmain....Both sides are now linked, never to be unlinked ever again....At least that's my hope and opinion.... :sign:
Nice post Quintus.

:sign:
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:58 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 2:32 pm
Do I smell a hint of sarcasm? :shock:

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:16 pm

What are peoples thoughts about a rebranding of the leagues clubs to be West’s Tigers?
I believe it is a positive step to ensuring we have a marketable brand and not just a football club but are we too rusted on to see the opportunity it provides?

BalmainTiger

Post by BalmainTiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:23 pm

quintus wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 1:29 pm
This all makes for very interesting reading whilst I sit here polishing my Balmain Leagues Club life membership badge.... If this building proposal goes ahead we will still be Wests Tigers because that's what we are now....We have been through all the infighting here and we know who is who and what is what....Wests Ashfield will never be forgotten for the big part they undertook to save Balmain....Both sides are now linked, never to be unlinked ever again....At least that's my hope and opinion.... :sign:
totally agree

BalmainTiger

Post by BalmainTiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm

Abraham wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:49 pm
BalmainTiger wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:45 pm
Abraham wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:34 pm
Wests Ashfield should take over the running of the Balmain side of things, and rebrand themselves as Wests Tigers.

One club with one owner moving forward.

They are in Balmain territory anyway these days, it makes sense to me, even as a diehard Balmain tragic.
this is Balmain we are talking about and not Wests Magpies. i wish all the old Magpies supporters stay out of this as it has nothing to do with you. this is about Balmain and it's leagues club.
Hi BalmainTiger,

I am not an old Magpies supporter.

So do i have your permission to speak?

Please.
you don't need my permission to speak your mind, everybody is entitled to have their own opinions.
i am just a Wests Tigers supporter and an old Balmain supporter who hopes the new leagues club goes up so Balmain never dies. if that is the wrong thinking then so be it.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:34 pm

FYI,
Roy Masters Article below.

Balmain stave off voluntary administration, but fight is far from over
By Roy Masters
13 September 2018 — 3:55pm

Balmain Tigers have demonstrated their traditional fighting spirit, staving off voluntary administration by negotiating a significant financial contribution from Heworth Pty Ltd, the developer who took control of their Rozelle site 18 months ago.

Rumours have swirled for days that Balmain, a 1908 foundation club, would be forced into voluntary administration, almost 10 years to the day after the start of the global financial crisis, which halved the value of their assets.

Balmain's two licensed clubs, at Sydney Markets and Five Dock, have not provided the cash flow necessary to meet all its obligations, but Heworth's executive director, Gary He, agreed to a rescue package.

“The new owner listened to us and gave us a substantial cash injection, which we will use to refresh the two small licensed clubs we operate, as well as maintain our quarter share of the Wests Tigers NRL club and service our junior league,” Balmain chairman Dr Leslie Glen said.

Balmain’s hold on their 25 per cent share of Wests Tigers depends on meeting a debt to the NRL by November 2021. Four years ago, the NRL advanced Wests Tigers $10 million with Wests and Balmain to repay $5 million each. Wests repaid their debt and took control of half of the debt of cash-strapped Balmain, reducing its debt was $2.5 million.

However, an interest rate of 4 per cent has seen it grow to $2.8 million and it is expected to be $3 million by the sunset clause.

The NRL will own the 25 per cent if Balmain default, but the governing body is expected to offer it to Wests Leagues Club at Ashfield, which now owns 75 per cent.

Wests' preference is for Balmain to pay the debt by the settlement date. After all, the NRL will insist the club forever be badged Wests Tigers, the only name a generation of young fans has known and the Tigers heritage carries sponsorship opportunities.

“Our DNA must be in there," Dr Glen said. "We fought to survive for the heritage we have. We’re going to have the quarter share forever. We’ve also got 3000 kids in our junior league.

“I’m very grateful to all those who’ve helped – the new developer, Wests Ashfield, Inner West Council mayor Darcy Byrne.”

While Heworth Pty Ltd's 11th-hour rescue package has staved off voluntary administration, it could be in the interests of the developer and Balmain to maintain their relationship. It is understood the height of any development at the Rozelle site is dependent on a future Balmain Leagues Club occupying a top storey. No Tigers licensed club and perhaps the site would be less profitable to the developer.

“There are implications coming from a Land and Environment Court judgement of August 2016, which guarantees the return of a Balmain Leagues Club to Rozelle,” Dr Glen said.

The clock may be ticking towards the NRL’s November 2021 sunset clause, but 10 years after the GFC, Balmain are still in a fight for survival.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:47 pm

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 4:58 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 2:32 pm
Do I smell a hint of sarcasm? :shock:
Not at all

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 6:00 pm

Needaname wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:16 pm
What are peoples thoughts about a rebranding of the leagues clubs to be West’s Tigers?
I believe it is a positive step to ensuring we have a marketable brand and not just a football club but are we too rusted on to see the opportunity it provides?
It would be great to actually have a proper WestsTigers club house.
However I’m torn because I also would like both Balmain and Western Suburbs to hold onto some of there 1908 DNA (as Roy Masters said ).
in Ivan we distrust

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:08 pm

This must be the last straw for Balmain Leagues Club to ever exist. It would be pretty unfair for the oringal Tigers to disappear for ever. I’m now a passionate West Tigers supporter, for the love of the game it’s a must to keep our foundation sides alive.

Surely there’s got to be away to build a West Tigers Club other then in Rozelle, let the BDRLFC, live on.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm

No more plodders!
:sign:

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 11:05 pm

WT2K wrote:
Tue 30 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm

Not sure I totally understand this. IMO Wests Tigers would have rocks in their heads to have anything to do with this. It’s already sent one half of the joint venture into voluntary administration. This is the poison challis as far as I am concerned.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:08 am

mike wrote:
Tue 30 Oct, 2018 11:05 pm
WT2K wrote:

Not sure I totally understand this. IMO Wests Tigers would have rocks in their heads to have anything to do with this. It’s already sent one half of the joint venture into voluntary administration. This is the poison challis as far as I am concerned.
What have they got to lose that they haven't already lost?

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:13 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:08 am
mike wrote:
WT2K wrote:

A lot more. Wests Tigers is viable why would you want to expose them to this risk?
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:31 am

mike wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:13 am
Russell wrote:
mike wrote:
WT2K wrote:

A lot more. Wests Tigers is viable why would you want to expose them to this risk?
Has nothing to do with West Tigers!

It is the Balmain leagues Club.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:44 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:31 am
mike wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:13 am
Russell wrote:
mike wrote:

Has nothing to do with West Tigers!

It is the Balmain leagues Club.
Yes I understand that but isn’t the tweets asking the two Balmain Wests Tigers board members for assistance @ WestsTigers. This is fool hardy if they expose the Wests Tigers in any way to this development.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 10:13 am

Yeah I would not be getting WT involved in this mess.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 2:38 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 10:13 am
Yeah I would not be getting WT involved in this mess.
Agreed. I followed Balmain back in the day but those days are over. Wests Tigers is the team I support. If Wests anfield takes over 100% I honestly don't care if they want us to move to Campbell town. I just don't want to return to the Balmain Tigers or Western suburbs magpies names.

WT is doing well ATM. Keep the momentum going.