TEDDY NOT FITTING IN

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2915
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: TEDDY NOT FITTING IN

Post by fergiefurr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:32 pm

slightly off topic, but was it just be or did the Roosters celebrations seem fairly subdued?

maybe the success is expected, or cause a lot of guys are new to the club/first grade so havent been toiling away for a comp for years, but it felt a lot different to previous years for me?


User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:45 pm
Its pretty sad the way some of our fans support this guy in finding a good club and having success.

Like do they even sport. . . .
Not sad, rather common and reasonable in my opinion.

There is a reasonable argument to be made that the success of any ex-Tiger comes at the expense of the Wests Tigers club. Whilst Tedesco can make rep sides whether or not Tigers have a good season, ultimately his personal premiership success at another club, by definition, interferes with the success of Wests.

For example, Roosters won the minor premiership on equal points. If Tigers had defeated Roosters Rd 13, Roosters would have instead finished 5th and taken another route through the finals. It's just one game; Tedesco didn't play Rd 13, but winning that game was part of the puzzle of the Roosters premiership.

It's an even bigger impact wrt Tedesco, because he came directly from Tigers. At least other players like Keary have had nothing to do with Wests, but Tedesco's move was a large negative impact on us (directly) and a large positive impact on Roosters.

So to support Tedesco for his decisions and his success - I can't do it. I cannot support anyone who intentionally tries to stop Tigers winning a premiership. If you support the guy, it's your right, but I think it's anti-Tigers and I question your emotional commitment to the club.

I don't understand what you are saying here. I can't do it and I don't support it either.

I think a little less time on your posts and more time reading the words and intentions of others might help.
Its an opinion!

greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm

Post by greatodensraven » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:06 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:32 pm
slightly off topic, but was it just be or did the Roosters celebrations seem fairly subdued?

maybe the success is expected, or cause a lot of guys are new to the club/first grade so havent been toiling away for a comp for years, but it felt a lot different to previous years for me?

Yep thats how I saw it too. Bunch of strangers pulled together to form a "team".

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:22 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:45 pm
Its pretty sad the way some of our fans support this guy in finding a good club and having success.

Like do they even sport. . . .
Not sad, rather common and reasonable in my opinion.

There is a reasonable argument to be made that the success of any ex-Tiger comes at the expense of the Wests Tigers club. Whilst Tedesco can make rep sides whether or not Tigers have a good season, ultimately his personal premiership success at another club, by definition, interferes with the success of Wests.

For example, Roosters won the minor premiership on equal points. If Tigers had defeated Roosters Rd 13, Roosters would have instead finished 5th and taken another route through the finals. It's just one game; Tedesco didn't play Rd 13, but winning that game was part of the puzzle of the Roosters premiership.

It's an even bigger impact wrt Tedesco, because he came directly from Tigers. At least other players like Keary have had nothing to do with Wests, but Tedesco's move was a large negative impact on us (directly) and a large positive impact on Roosters.

So to support Tedesco for his decisions and his success - I can't do it. I cannot support anyone who intentionally tries to stop Tigers winning a premiership. If you support the guy, it's your right, but I think it's anti-Tigers and I question your emotional commitment to the club.

I don't understand what you are saying here. I can't do it and I don't support it either.

I think a little less time on your posts and more time reading the words and intentions of others might help.
Well in fairness your comment can be read both ways, so you don't need to be snide, but yes I mistook what you said and I apologise for that.

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm

In my view the whole issue is pretty simple. The guy is undeniably a champion footballer with a passion to succeed in his sport. After toiling for years in a club that was struggling in just about every area of the game on and off the field, he had built enough of a reputation to leave the nest and move on to bigger and better things. How can you blame him for wanting that? The rest is just media, marketing and ill placed talk - he's not the smartest bloke or most eloquent speaker. He probably has said things that have come out the wrong way and he is certainly a lot about himself - but then again, so what!
I appreciate him as a great player to watch and I am not wasting any energy on bad mouthing him. I actually think he tried very hard at the Tigers right until he finished so what more can you expect in today's NRL where loyalty is long gone? The fact that he has won a premiership and an Australian Jersey says it all.


Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2758
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 3:39 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm
In my view the whole issue is pretty simple. The guy is undeniably a champion footballer with a passion to succeed in his sport. After toiling for years in a club that was struggling in just about every area of the game on and off the field, he had built enough of a reputation to leave the nest and move on to bigger and better things. How can you blame him for wanting that? The rest is just media, marketing and ill placed talk - he's not the smartest bloke or most eloquent speaker. He probably has said things that have come out the wrong way and he is certainly a lot about himself - but then again, so what!
I appreciate him as a great player to watch and I am not wasting any energy on bad mouthing him. I actually think he tried very hard at the Tigers right until he finished so what more can you expect in today's NRL where loyalty is long gone? The fact that he has won a premiership and an Australian Jersey says it all.
Agree. My frustration at losing Teddy is equally shared at supporting a club who struggles to attract and replace players of the same calibre. When and if we reach that level losing a player like Teddy will become less of an issue.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm
If you support the guy, it's your right, but I think it's anti-Tigers and I question your emotional commitment to the club.
You told me a few weeks back that members are just consumers that the club owes nothing to. Why are consumers obliged to be emotionally committed to a club if thats the case?

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:31 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:23 am
Yeah congratulations Tedesco for taking a million bucks per year to join an already star-studded roster and win a premiership. Let's all pat him on the back for such a courageous and bold decision.

See, there are these comments in the other thread about how we should aim to be more successful, more like Roosters, get better business support etc. "Don't get jealous get even".

Well how does a poor club do that? It helps for a start to have sustained success. Well how do you do that with a modest budget? Recruit wisely and grow from within.

And yeah, well how do you grow from within when you finally prodce some elite juniors, they get jack of working hard in modest teams and leave for the sparkle of glamour clubs anyway?

We grew a Tedesco, everyone else came with their chequebooks and he decided to leave twice.

So I don't congratulate a guy who distances himself from his junior club and moves to a place where life is easier and more glamourous. I can understand it, but I cant respect it.
You've summed up the situation the way I see it. Not much blame to laid at anyone at the club from what I can see.

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:53 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm
In my view the whole issue is pretty simple. The guy is undeniably a champion footballer with a passion to succeed in his sport. After toiling for years in a club that was struggling in just about every area of the game on and off the field, he had built enough of a reputation to leave the nest and move on to bigger and better things. How can you blame him for wanting that? The rest is just media, marketing and ill placed talk - he's not the smartest bloke or most eloquent speaker. He probably has said things that have come out the wrong way and he is certainly a lot about himself - but then again, so what!
I appreciate him as a great player to watch and I am not wasting any energy on bad mouthing him. I actually think he tried very hard at the Tigers right until he finished so what more can you expect in today's NRL where loyalty is long gone? The fact that he has won a premiership and an Australian Jersey says it all.

You lost me big time with this statement. He tried in attack but just plain gave up in defence.

Youve shown yourself as a fan boy.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:27 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm
If you support the guy, it's your right, but I think it's anti-Tigers and I question your emotional commitment to the club.
You told me a few weeks back that members are just consumers that the club owes nothing to. Why are consumers obliged to be emotionally committed to a club if thats the case?
Consumers aren't obliged to be emotionally committed to a club. But if you are watching Tigers every week, shelling out on tickets/merchandise and posting regularly in a West Tigers-centric forum, then what precisely are you doing?

Are you a bot? Is that what you are trying to say?

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:03 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:27 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm
If you support the guy, it's your right, but I think it's anti-Tigers and I question your emotional commitment to the club.
You told me a few weeks back that members are just consumers that the club owes nothing to. Why are consumers obliged to be emotionally committed to a club if thats the case?
Consumers aren't obliged to be emotionally committed to a club. But if you are watching Tigers every week, shelling out on tickets/merchandise and posting regularly in a West Tigers-centric forum, then what precisely are you doing?

Are you a bot? Is that what you are trying to say?
Nice try. You are the one who called members just consumers. Now, are you back flipping or just admitting you were trolling?

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:03 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:27 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:28 pm
If you support the guy, it's your right, but I think it's anti-Tigers and I question your emotional commitment to the club.
You told me a few weeks back that members are just consumers that the club owes nothing to. Why are consumers obliged to be emotionally committed to a club if thats the case?
Consumers aren't obliged to be emotionally committed to a club. But if you are watching Tigers every week, shelling out on tickets/merchandise and posting regularly in a West Tigers-centric forum, then what precisely are you doing?

Are you a bot? Is that what you are trying to say?
Nice try. You are the one who called members just consumers. Now, are you back flipping or just admitting you were trolling?
No - members are just consumers - to the club. The club is something different to members.

It's like buying a BMW - not an investment piece, the consumer buys it for the love of the car or the status symbol. BMWs don't appreciate in value and you have to fork out money every year to keep the thing going. Now you might love your BMW, but The Bavarian Motor Works doesn't love you back, nor does the car itself. BMW don't sell you cars for the love of manufacturing or to make your day brighter. If you just want a car that goes A to B, buy a Corolla.

User avatar
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 5639
Joined: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm

Post by sheer64 » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 11:13 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:03 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:27 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm


You told me a few weeks back that members are just consumers that the club owes nothing to. Why are consumers obliged to be emotionally committed to a club if thats the case?
Consumers aren't obliged to be emotionally committed to a club. But if you are watching Tigers every week, shelling out on tickets/merchandise and posting regularly in a West Tigers-centric forum, then what precisely are you doing?

Are you a bot? Is that what you are trying to say?
Nice try. You are the one who called members just consumers. Now, are you back flipping or just admitting you were trolling?
No - members are just consumers - to the club. The club is something different to members.

It's like buying a BMW - not an investment piece, the consumer buys it for the love of the car or the status symbol. BMWs don't appreciate in value and you have to fork out money every year to keep the thing going. Now you might love your BMW, but The Bavarian Motor Works doesn't love you back, nor does the car itself. BMW don't sell you cars for the love of manufacturing or to make your day brighter. If you just want a car that goes A to B, buy a Corolla.
I thought we bought a bus :roll
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

Mickeyboy
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun 28 Jun, 2015 9:51 pm

Post by Mickeyboy » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:32 am

Honest question - looking for an answer - how many HIA's did he undergo this year?...compared to last year

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 9:00 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:03 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:27 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm


You told me a few weeks back that members are just consumers that the club owes nothing to. Why are consumers obliged to be emotionally committed to a club if thats the case?
Consumers aren't obliged to be emotionally committed to a club. But if you are watching Tigers every week, shelling out on tickets/merchandise and posting regularly in a West Tigers-centric forum, then what precisely are you doing?

Are you a bot? Is that what you are trying to say?
Nice try. You are the one who called members just consumers. Now, are you back flipping or just admitting you were trolling?
No - members are just consumers - to the club. The club is something different to members.

It's like buying a BMW - not an investment piece, the consumer buys it for the love of the car or the status symbol. BMWs don't appreciate in value and you have to fork out money every year to keep the thing going. Now you might love your BMW, but The Bavarian Motor Works doesn't love you back, nor does the car itself. BMW don't sell you cars for the love of manufacturing or to make your day brighter. If you just want a car that goes A to B, buy a Corolla.
If that's the case I can see why Teddy left. Its just business.
An Aus jersey and a premiership in the first year out, smart man.

tsjonathan
Member
Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

Post by tsjonathan » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 9:45 am

Honestly if I was a player I probably would have left the club too. Considering the climate back in 2015-2017

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18144
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 11:36 am

I understand why he left, can't cop how he left.

Unfortunately he got what he wanted, and had the last laugh. He got his ring, good luck to him. I'm above wishing a career ending injury on him, but not too petty to hope that we smash the bejesus out of him every game going forward.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:53 pm
TigerSJ wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm
In my view the whole issue is pretty simple. The guy is undeniably a champion footballer with a passion to succeed in his sport. After toiling for years in a club that was struggling in just about every area of the game on and off the field, he had built enough of a reputation to leave the nest and move on to bigger and better things. How can you blame him for wanting that? The rest is just media, marketing and ill placed talk - he's not the smartest bloke or most eloquent speaker. He probably has said things that have come out the wrong way and he is certainly a lot about himself - but then again, so what!
I appreciate him as a great player to watch and I am not wasting any energy on bad mouthing him. I actually think he tried very hard at the Tigers right until he finished so what more can you expect in today's NRL where loyalty is long gone? The fact that he has won a premiership and an Australian Jersey says it all.

You lost me big time with this statement. He tried in attack but just plain gave up in defence.

Youve shown yourself as a fan boy.
Hardly.. I am a bit too old to be "a fan boy", although I will admit I'm not sure what the point of your comment is.

I just watch the game (coz I'm too old to still play it) and try to give a thoughtful opinion on topics raised. In my opinion Tedesco did try hard each week unlike some others in the 2017 season and as I stated he deserves whatever successes he earns!

Post Reply