Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:00 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm

It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Bennett is the only choice. If we don't go with him, even if it means waiting a year we deserve everything we get. That so many associate "tough" with Maguire and do so as a positive astounds me. Toughness isn't being inflexible or shouting, gesticulating or demonstrating anger. That should be far behind us and we should be striving for corporate dollars, new players who improve out tream and a respected coach with a proven record of success oveer a long period.
Good one Paws - agree.

Madge would be the wrong coach at the wrong club. Hopefully he goes to Donkeys.

Unca is the coach for us - in all facets.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:16 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:59 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Bennett is the only choice. If we don't go with him, even if it means waiting a year we deserve everything we get. That so many associate "tough" with Maguire and do so as a positive astounds me. Toughness isn't being inflexible or shouting, gesticulating or demonstrating anger. That should be far behind us and we should be striving for corporate dollars, new players who improve out tream and a respected coach with a proven record of success oveer a long period.
Good one Paws - agree.

Madge would be the wrong coach at the wrong club. Hopefully he goes to Donkeys.

Unca is the coach for us - in all facets.
Bennett is only the right coach if he is prepared to help build the club is prepared to see it through.
If its all about Wayne then he is not the right coach. For that reason I will be surprised if he takes on the position.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:34 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:12 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Let's say Wayne actually doesn't want to come has a good year at the Broncos and decided he had enough as hypothetical...

Which Coach with a proven record of success over a long period should we target...?
Shane Flanagan just to see the meltdown on the forum.
No more plodders!
:sign:

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:37 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:54 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:12 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:02 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:27 pm

How is having Cleary coach WT next year gonna help us secure a marquee coach any more than having Webster, Hodgson etc coach us next year? Cold, hard fact is that it is not. Pretty simple really.
Because we would be making a commitment to a Hodgson or Webster for at least 2 years. Whereas we could give Cleary his release if someone of quality comes on the market.
If Bennett is off-contract for 2020 (and provided he wants to coach WT), why would Webster or Hodgson have to coach for at least 2 years? We only need them for 1 season in that scenario.
Yes we would, which is why it’s the exact scenario I have been advocating for weeks to happen.
Why would we be making a commitment for at least 2 years?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:48 am

cochise wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:37 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:02 pm

Because we would be making a commitment to a Hodgson or Webster for at least 2 years. Whereas we could give Cleary his release if someone of quality comes on the market.
If Bennett is off-contract for 2020 (and provided he wants to coach WT), why would Webster or Hodgson have to coach for at least 2 years? We only need them for 1 season in that scenario.
Yes we would, which is why it’s the exact scenario I have been advocating for weeks to happen.
Deadset, this is giving me a headache.

Let me spell it out as simply as I can

I would only support someone like Hodgson or Webster if they were being used in 2019 to warm the chair for Bennett. I would not be in favour of signing them if both Maguire and Bennett say no to us and that’s all we are left with. In that scenario I would hold onto Cleary and reassess at the end of 2019.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:56 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:48 am
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:

I would only support someone like Hodgson or Webster if they were being used in 2019 to warm the chair for Bennett. I would not be in favour of signing them if both Maguire and Bennett say no to us and that’s all we are left with. In that scenario I would hold onto Cleary and reassess at the end of 2019.
OK, fair enough, that wasn't clear from your posts. Your posts came across as if we signed Bennett for 2020 and signed Webster or Hodgo as an interim coach we would have to keep them for 2 years.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:03 pm

cochise wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:56 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

OK, fair enough, that wasn't clear from your posts. Your posts came across as if we signed Bennett for 2020 and signed Webster or Hodgo as an interim coach we would have to keep them for 2 years.
Let’s be realistic there is no way the club should stop gap a season for Bennett the guy will be 70 for god sake ., if he can not be here next season no thanks !

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:14 pm

I thought last week was sposed to be a big week...

... Maybe this week is gunna be a big week...

Stay tuned

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:14 pm

WT2K wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:34 am
Geo. wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:

Let's say Wayne actually doesn't want to come has a good year at the Broncos and decided he had enough as hypothetical...

Which Coach with a proven record of success over a long period should we target...?
In my opinion if Flanagan became available he jumps ahead of Madge ......

Look at the players he has attracted after the abortion Cronulla had been from 2010-2013

Might be a DH but results are on the board 184 games 101 wins

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:16 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:57 am
I see it like this.....

Ivan wants to coach his son sometime in the future.....

Nathan signs long term with Penrith for the next 5 years...

Ivan (if true) signs with Penrith from 2021....

Ivan states he will honour his contract to keep coaching WTs until 2020....
He then goes to Penrith to coach Nathan in 2021...

I cant see the drama that everybody is in hysterics about,Ivan will continue meeting his obligations under the terms of his contract and remain professional in doing so...

This is the NRL...these things happen....people get to emotional and wrapped up in speculation and inuendos...

If Ivan goes weather he is released or otherwise,I will keep paying my membership and following the WTs as I have since 2000,,, not a problem to me....
That's how I feel as well, can't see the drama, it's not like we're the only club at the moment going through the coaching thing anyway, Penrith, Broncos, Souths and Manly......it's all currently up in the air with them too.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:16 pm

Snake wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:03 pm
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
cochise wrote:

Let’s be realistic there is no way the club should stop gap a season for Bennett the guy will be 70 for god sake ., if he can not be here next season no thanks !
I agree 100%, our luck would be that we sign him and then he dies next year while we are waiting for him.

Post by 851 » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:22 pm

Snake wrote:
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
cochise wrote:

I agree, no gap year, Bennett comes for 2019 or we move on, a lot can happen in a month, let alone a year. And with our luck it will turn pear shaped, Bennett will win the comp and retire and we will be left with nothing.
There is too big a risk for us, we have been bumbling along for too long to allow another season to drift.
Go hard or go home

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:28 pm

cochise wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:16 pm
Snake wrote:
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

I agree 100%, our luck would be that we sign him and then he dies next year while we are waiting for him.
Dies in the nuclear holocaust ......

Cmon please , when your time is up , your time is up , just hope it's not the bus driver or the pilot taking you from A -B time

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:30 pm

cochise wrote:

Our luck?
What about Bennets?

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:33 pm

cochise wrote:
Snake wrote:
cochise wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

:roll

The old horn-dawg might croak it on the nest with the coattails cracking! Not a pleasant mental image.........

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:28 pm
cochise wrote:
Snake wrote:
cochise wrote:

Dies in the nuclear holocaust ......

Cmon please , when your time is up , your time is up , just hope it's not the bus driver or the pilot taking you from A -B time
I'll take Bennett next year, but what I am saying is that a 70+ year old coach is not a long term solution. We need stability and waiting 12 months for a coach who won't be here long is not what we need.

The only way I'd be content with Bennett for 2020 is if we appoint a hand picked (by him) caretaker for 2019. One of his assistants.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:30 pm
cochise wrote:

Our luck?
What about Bennets?
He's had a good run lol

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:44 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:14 pm
WT2K wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:34 am
Geo. wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:

In my opinion if Flanagan became available he jumps ahead of Madge ......

Look at the players he has attracted after the abortion Cronulla had been from 2010-2013

Might be a DH but results are on the board 184 games 101 wins
I agree with that. Flanagan would be my 2nd choice.