2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
avocadoontoast

Re: 2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:16 am

Silentio wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:04 am
Well played, Gus Gould, well played.

Once again, our club is the laughing stock of the league.

For all the huff and puff about not letting Cleary go, Penrith well and truly called our bluff.

It's an untenable situation to keep a coach that has signed elsewhere if you're a club that's intent on rebuilding. This much is obvious.

As fans, we deserve way better than what's being dished up by our chair and CEO.

They've been totally outsmarted, failed to meet their self appointed KPIs and have repeatedly made bad decisions that are impacting on the future of our club.

This is the last straw for me. I'm calling on our CEO to be replaced immediately.
Really? I reckon Pascoe has handled a bad situation fairly well actually. It wasn't his fault Ivan decided to walk away from his contract mid way through. He went out and aggressively targeted two premiership winning coaches, landing one of them. Maguire is the highest credentialed coach in WT history ex Sheens and you have to give Pascoe credit for making that happen.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:36 am

I’ve got no issues with the CEO or chair. We finally have stability in the office, replacing either of them now would be crazy IMO
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:39 am

steve-o wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:36 am
I’ve got no issues with the CEO or chair. We finally have stability in the office, replacing either of them now would be crazy IMO
Need more props.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:41 am

oldprop wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:39 am
steve-o wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:36 am
X3
Club is well placed in the front office. To say otherwise is nonsense.

Snow Tiger

Post by Snow Tiger » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:58 am

Madge is 44 years of age, trained under Meninga and Bellamy learning his trade as a coach. Gain wide praise during his time in Melbourne when they "won" the minor premierships and 2 Grand Finals. Left to go to England as the senior coach where he won the Super League GF and Challenge Cup and then returned to the NRL to make his coaching debut winning a GF within a few years at the Rabbits. He's also just done very we'll with Kiwi's against Australia with a team on paper that should have lost.

Honestly I don't think we could ask for much more. Bennett is obviously brilliant (never write off a champion) although arguably passed his best. Bellamy is clearly the current standout when it comes to coaches in the NRL. If Madges career continues along its current path he will end up with a reputation that compares to all but the greatest coaches in the game. I think we're in good hands and while I was a fan of Ivan's we've just got an upgrade.

He also seems like a decent bloke.

All on team Madge. Long may he reign!
Since 1999 a supporter of Wayne Pearce and Tommy Raudonikis bastard child.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:24 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:43 am
momo&medo wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 7:59 am
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 11:23 pm
Mighty Tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 11:17 pm

What is there to destroy? We are rock bottom already. Lost our best juniors, a coach sacked and one who jumped in quick succession & haven’t played finals for yonks.

Seriously some people just can’t be pleased.

Madge has an extremely positive CV and is coaching an international team that beat the Aussies let alone has worked with the refs as well. We are lucky to have someome with his depth of experience and winning qualities leading our team over a rookie coach.

Pascoe gets an a+ from me considering the circumstances.
A+ for the 5th best coach .....that will do me

So Teflon Pascoe avoids any flak , even though he was solely behind getting the coach that has set us back beyond where many claimed Taylor /Potter /Mayer left us

Did the club even seriously consider Toovey ....was he even spoken to .......
He gets A++ ........ Toovey would gave been a whinge after every game disaster.
Yes did you look at his record with recruitment ??

Every player he recruited in his time at Souths left or was maimed with injury in the case of Glenn Stewart

I printed the list on another page

Yes he won a premiership , I wonder why , look at the side , he had blokes who palyed SOO that same year on the bench

Inglis
Johnstone
Auva'a
Dylan Walker
Tuqiri
Keary
Reynolds
G Burgess
Api Koroisai
Dave Tyrell
Ben Teo
John Sutton
Sam Burgess

Jason Clark
McQueen
Turner
Tom Burgess

After that they scrape into 7th , and then back to back 12th position

Exciting reading after the premiership hey

Claim I'm a sook , no I have high expectations for my club that I pay my membership to .........., and I like to hold people to the same accountability I hold myself to EVERYDAY

You get to a resort and they claim to be 5 star , and the pool is half empty , full of critters and the beds are full of bities and the air conditioning doesn't work ............what do you do ........???????

You want to accept mediocrity year after year , that's fine , that's not my go , that's all

Just remember Pascoe sacked our last coach to get this coach , the second this coach he recruited got a better offer he bailed , and now we are back with a coach who is extremely similar to Taylor , the best we could get because of our past success

Pascoe and Go also claimed Cleary was going nowhere , would see out his contract

Remember that interview ??

I'll support Maguire 100 % like I have with Pearce , Lamb ,Sheens , Potter ,Taylor , Webster ,Cleary and now Maguire

But I'm telling you he will be a massive failure , and just as it looked we might turning a corner

And someone needs to take responsibility , Cleary has said as much that he mentioned to the club he wanted to coach his son during the interviews , Go claimed that wasn't an issue at the time (comments on league life ,check it out you don't believe me )

Well Marina 18 months later it became a bloody very large issue didn't it ...........

Cleary was the right choice , AS LONG AS HE SAW THE REBUILD FROM GO TO WHOA

So where has that left us .............................back in purgatory

Thanks Justin and Marina .........but that's right ,it's Cleary fault , but remember you hired him :idea:
Happy to be proven wrong but i'm sure when Go was interviewed on League Life she said when Ivan was interviewed for the job it was NEVER part of the package for him to bring Nathan. She also stated that Ivan had complete control of the salary cap and that if he wanted to sign Nathan up that was entirely his call. Like i said mate, i'm, happy to be proven wrong.

Darwin tiger

Post by Darwin tiger » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:32 am

I think our CEO is our best player?

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:37 am

Snow Tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:58 am
Madge is 44 years of age, trained under Meninga and Bellamy learning his trade as a coach. Gain wide praise during his time in Melbourne when they "won" the minor premierships and 2 Grand Finals. Left to go to England as the senior coach where he won the Super League GF and Challenge Cup and then returned to the NRL to make his coaching debut winning a GF within a few years at the Rabbits. He's also just done very we'll with Kiwi's against Australia with a team on paper that should have lost.

Honestly I don't think we could ask for much more. Bennett is obviously brilliant (never write off a champion) although arguably passed his best. Bellamy is clearly the current standout when it comes to coaches in the NRL. If Madges career continues along its current path he will end up with a reputation that compares to all but the greatest coaches in the game. I think we're in good hands and while I was a fan of Ivan's we've just got an upgrade.

He also seems like a decent bloke.

All on team Madge. Long may he reign!
Nice Snow Tiger!

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:41 am

Silentio wrote:

For all the huff and puff about not letting Cleary go, Penrith well and truly called our bluff.

It's an untenable situation to keep a coach that has signed elsewhere if you're a club that's intent on rebuilding. This much is obvious.

As fans, we deserve way better than what's being dished up by our chair and CEO.

They've been totally outsmarted, failed to meet their self appointed KPIs and have repeatedly made bad decisions that are impacting on the future of our club.

This is the last straw for me. I'm calling on our CEO to be replaced immediately.
I'm very glad that you and happy tiger have little influence on the club if that's your summation.

Transformations are slow. You can't expect us to be on the same playing field as clubs like the broncos straight away. People who can't see that were on the right path and have knee jerk reactions like this are the reason we are where we are.

Go, particularly pascoe, are the best signings we've had in years.

We've got a premiership winning coach, a coe on the way (mostly funded from govt since we have no money - massive feat!), largest member base ever and nearing financial break even.

You two can't be serious....

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:57 am

hammertime wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:41 am
Silentio wrote:

I'm very glad that you and happy tiger have little influence on the club if that's your summation.

Transformations are slow. You can't expect us to be on the same playing field as clubs like the broncos straight away. People who can't see that were on the right path and have knee jerk reactions like this are the reason we are where we are.

We've got a premiership winning coach, a coe on the way (mostly funded from govt since we have no money - massive feat!), largest member base ever and nearing financial break even.

Hammer , we would of been better off keeping Cleary for a season and pick someone else up than taking Maguire

And if you can't see why the Cleary situation has occurred was because Pascoe and Go your deluded

Lets see how many Souths players come scrambling out of the trenches to come join the WT's

God I'd have even preferred Mal Meniniga /Kevin Walters bringing Michael Hagan with them over Maguire

This club has no idea , couldn't use their brains to think outside the square to save themselves

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm

hammertime wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:41 am
Silentio wrote:

Agree 100%. The whole Cleary saga was not of WT's making but we have made the best of a bad situation. I wanted Bennett but I don't think he wanted us as much. That's not our fault. Maguire is a good coach who will do well with us.
Some of the posters on this forum are seriously unhinged and belong in curmudgeon's corner.

Post by 851 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:01 pm

happy tiger wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Mighty Tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 11:17 pm

What is there to destroy? We are rock bottom already. Lost our best juniors, a coach sacked and one who jumped in quick succession & haven’t played finals for yonks.

Seriously some people just can’t be pleased.

Madge has an extremely positive CV and is coaching an international team that beat the Aussies let alone has worked with the refs as well. We are lucky to have someome with his depth of experience and winning qualities leading our team over a rookie coach.

Pascoe gets an a+ from me considering the circumstances.

So Teflon Pascoe avoids any flak , even though he was solely behind getting the coach that has set us back beyond where many claimed Taylor /Potter /Mayer left us

Every player he recruited in his time at Souths left or was maimed with injury in the case of Glenn Stewart

Yes he won a premiership , I wonder why , look at the side , he had blokes who palyed SOO that same year on the bench

Inglis
Johnstone
Auva'a
Dylan Walker
Tuqiri
Keary
Reynolds
G Burgess
Api Koroisai
Dave Tyrell
Ben Teo
John Sutton
Sam Burgess

Jason Clark
McQueen
Turner
Tom Burgess

Claim I'm a sook , no I have high expectations for my club that I pay my membership to .........., and I like to hold people to the same accountability I hold myself to EVERYDAY

You get to a resort and they claim to be 5 star , and the pool is half empty , full of critters and the beds are full of bities and the air conditioning doesn't work ............what do you do ........???????

You want to accept mediocrity year after year , that's fine , that's not my go , that's all

Just remember Pascoe sacked our last coach to get this coach , the second this coach he recruited got a better offer he bailed , and now we are back with a coach who is extremely similar to Taylor , the best we could get because of our past success

Pascoe and Go also claimed Cleary was going nowhere , would see out his contract

I'll support Maguire 100 % like I have with Pearce , Lamb ,Sheens , Potter ,Taylor , Webster ,Cleary and now Maguire

But I'm telling you he will be a massive failure , and just as it looked we might turning a corner

And someone needs to take responsibility , Cleary has said as much that he mentioned to the club he wanted to coach his son during the interviews , Go claimed that wasn't an issue at the time (comments on league life ,check it out you don't believe me )

Well Marina 18 months later it became a bloody very large issue didn't it ...........

Thanks Justin and Marina .........but that's right ,it's Cleary fault , but remember you hired him :idea:
Toovey had a cracker side too, but never won a premiership
Go hard or go home

Post by 851 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:07 pm

steve-o wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:26 am
So we know we don’t have much wiggle room in our 2019 cap, how about 2020? Who’s off contract that we can punt in order to use the money elsewhere? Brooks will likely be upgraded, but I’m praying there’s some room to buy quality players
I am thinking they mean not much wiggle room because there is only 2 spots left, not money wise
Go hard or go home

Post by 851 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:10 pm

Furious1 wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:24 am
happy tiger wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Inglis
Johnstone
Auva'a
Dylan Walker
Tuqiri
Keary
Reynolds
G Burgess
Api Koroisai
Dave Tyrell
Ben Teo
John Sutton
Sam Burgess

Jason Clark
McQueen
Turner
Tom Burgess

Happy to be proven wrong but i'm sure when Go was interviewed on League Life she said when Ivan was interviewed for the job it was NEVER part of the package for him to bring Nathan. She also stated that Ivan had complete control of the salary cap and that if he wanted to sign Nathan up that was entirely his call. Like i said mate, i'm, happy to be proven wrong.
No you are 100% right, I saw the interview on FOX, the main part of that interview was that Ivan had complete control to bring Nathan if he liked.
So Nathan not coming is more Cleary's fault than any one else.
Last edited by 851 on Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go hard or go home

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:57 am

Hammer , we would of been better off keeping Cleary for a season and pick someone else up than taking Maguire

And if you can't see why the Cleary situation has occurred was because Pascoe and Go your deluded
I slightly agree with you about Madge. But that's a personal thing. I personally don't like leaders who are hard-nosed. Competitive athletes will be different though. He's had a lot of success and I'm sure he learned from his final couple of years at the bunnies. So while my heart says no, my brain would say he's the right choice.

That said, I have no idea how you can blame Pascoe and Go for Cleary wanting to coach his son. Ivan torched his bridges so his son didn't have to. I would have done the same for my little man.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:21 pm

851 wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:10 pm

No you are 100% right, I saw the interview on FOX, the main part of that interview was that Ivan had complete control to bring Nathan if he liked.
So Nathan not coming is more Cleary's fault that any one else.
Yep. I personally know Justin was talking about the potential of bringing him over a year ago. But I think Brooks made it very hard to do so with the year he had.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm

In Madge we trust
:wahoo:

Hey happy ...stop pissing and moaning !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:24 pm

851 wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 12:07 pm
steve-o wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:26 am
So we know we don’t have much wiggle room in our 2019 cap, how about 2020? Who’s off contract that we can punt in order to use the money elsewhere? Brooks will likely be upgraded, but I’m praying there’s some room to buy quality players
I am thinking they mean not much wiggle room because there is only 2 spots left, not money wise
we don't want to have salary cap issues ay m8
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell