Benji's 'Kick' - Harrigan's Verdict

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30 PM, Friday 9 September
Venue: ANZ Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9 LIVE
cunno

Re: Benji's 'Kick' - Harrigan's Verdict

Post by cunno » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 7:23 pm

I have heard nothing but argument about this since the game, everyone I have listened to has an opinion and are convinced they are right either way. Thanks for your post Jimmy, I'll be quoting Harrigan's comment next time it is raised.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 7:26 pm

Juro wrote:I was blowing up listening to Triple M on Saturday morning, with Ray Warren going on and on about how it shouldn't have been a try. He got the rule book out and started quoting all these rules which had nothing to do with the incident, like saying that a legal kick was with any part of the leg below the knee except the heel. I don't think anyone in their right mind was suggesting it came off Benji's heel. Then he was agreeing with idiots ringing in saying you can't kick the ball after it bounces, like as if the ball had already bounced a foot in the air. The ball hit Benji's foot either before it bounced, as it bounced or just after it bounced. In other words, the worst you could say about it was that it was a drop kick.
Sounds to me like Ray is the 'drop kick' :P
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 7:29 pm

If Harrigan says it's a try, the decision was probably wrong.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 8:09 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:my understanding is the rules of the game say the 'use' of a drop kick is for the restarting of play and an attempt at a scoring motion... This was neither.

outside of that and within general play, the only other form of a kick within the rules of the game is a'punt', and a punt is when the ball is dropped from the hands and is kicked 'before' it touches the ground...

Happy for it to be called either way, but probably not too happy if the shoe was on the other foot?!
Mate if one was inclined you can drop kick for touch, general play, whatever
you like....even conversions. ( I think)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:15 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:my understanding is the rules of the game say the 'use' of a drop kick is for the restarting of play and an attempt at a scoring motion... This was neither.

outside of that and within general play, the only other form of a kick within the rules of the game is a'punt', and a punt is when the ball is dropped from the hands and is kicked 'before' it touches the ground...

Happy for it to be called either way, but probably not too happy if the shoe was on the other foot?!
Mate if one was inclined you can drop kick for touch, general play, whatever
you like....even conversions. ( I think)
Mitch Brown once scored off a drop kick playing against us for Cronulla. He went for a chip and chase but it was mistimed, just so happened to be mistimed as a legitimate drop-kick; landed in the in-goal and he won the chase.

stryker

Post by stryker » Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:42 am

benji_da_gun wrote:All the hype surrounding the scuffed kick (in which he 100% gets his foot to the ball AS it bounces) when nobody is discussing one of the cleanest, most amazing sidesteps I have ever seen....Darius Boyd didnt get within 2 metres of Benji! i could watch that step a million times over and still be amazed....
Exactly mate...He still had a fair bit to do after his poor kick...pulled off a one on one strip against Scott (who is arguably stronger), and then produced a CLASSIC Marshal step to totally bamboozal Boyd. Great work by the Benj...