Wests Tigers installed as Premiership favourites

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
palms

Re: Wests Tigers installed as Premiership favourites

Post by palms » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 3:56 am

Wildcat777 wrote:Bulldogs $15 with Foran next year. Would be a good bet??? Think he will help them go a long way. But Tigers will stop them!
Foran isn't going to the Bulldogs next year, he is staying with Manly

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8372557

Manly star Kieran Foran says he will remain with the Sea Eagles for 2012 despite the likelihood of an early exit from the NRL club for Canterbury-bound coach Des Hasler.

There has been speculation the Bulldogs are circling five-eighth Foran, who has a clause in his contract allowing him to walk should Hasler leave Manly.

Hasler's time with the Sea Eagles appears to be over after the two-time premiership-winning coach was ordered to front the Sea Eagles board over alleged breaches of contract.

Those claims are thought to include alleged attempts to lure players and staff to the Bulldogs.

Foran, who is in Leeds preparing for New Zealand's Four Nations clash with England on Sunday, said he was committed to the NRL premiers for next year.

"I do have a (get-out) clause but I'm at Manly next year and I'll be there next year," Foran said.

"I haven't heard too much about it to be honest. Over here I miss out on most of the stuff that's going on back there."

Hasler, who last month agreed to a four-year deal to coach Canterbury from 2013, was issued with a breach notice for what Manly chairman Scott Penn described as "serious breaches of contract".

It came after a seven-hour meeting of board members at Manly Leagues Club on Wednesday night.

Hasler is still to respond to the notice but Sea Eagles officials believe the issue could be resolved as soon as Friday.

Premiership winning halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, who is a member of the Australian Four Nations squad in England, admits things have turned "ugly" at Manly.

"I've not had time to really hear what's been going on back home but it's fairly shocking news that Des isn't going to be around," Cherry-Evans said.

"It's turned ugly pretty quickly since the grand final but we have a pretty close group of boys at Manly.

"As a player I don't want to see any of the boys leaving, but at the end of the day, it's a business and they'll make their own decisions."

Cherry-Evans said he had no intention of leaving the club and was hopeful halves partner Foran would stick around too.

"I am under contract for two more (years) and there are no get-out clauses for me," Cherry-Evans said.

"He's (Foran) not the only one who has that clause and he'd be a massive loss and we don't want him going anywhere and hopefully he stays."

Several members of Hasler's backroom staff have announced they too are off to the Bulldogs, including recruitment guru Noel Cleal and assistant coach Kelly Egan.

Australia and Sea Eagles backrower Anthony Watmough insists the club will always be bigger than the coach and players will stay.

"At the end of the day Dessie can point us in the right direction but it's the boys that have that bond," Watmough said from the Australian team hotel in Manchester.

"And they'd have to look their mate in the eye and then say to them they're going to leave for a member of the coaching staff."

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 12:54 am

He'd be mad to leave Manly. They're more likely to win the premiership than the Dogs next year.

Posted using RoarFEED
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 8:41 am

The Newcastle Knights have firmed to be 8/1 equal favourites for the 2012 NRL premiership
by: Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph November 24, 2011 12:00AM

THE incredible influence of supercoach Wayne Bennett has prompted one of Australia's biggest bookmakers to install Newcastle as 2012 premiership favourites. Bennett will walk into Ausgrid Stadium for the first time next Tuesday morning under immediate and immense pressure.

According to Sportsbet.com.au, the Knights sit alongside Manly and Wests Tigers as equal NRL favourites at $8 ahead of Melbourne ($9) and New Zealand ($10).

Newcastle won just 12 of 24 games this year and were eliminated in week one of the finals by Melbourne. But new owner Nathan Tinkler has recruited Bennett along with star players Darius Boyd, Danny Buderus, Timana Tahu and Kade Snowden.

"We don't take a great deal of notice about what the markets say but it does suggest an appreciation of the potential in our squad and the experienced coaching staff we have acquired," said Knights chief executive Matt Gidley.

"Wayne will come to town on Tuesday and address the players for the first time. That is when it will really hit home that we have a coach of Wayne's calibre here - seeing him in the Newcastle training gear.

"That was beyond everyone's wildest dreams. Wayne is comfortable with the squad we have here.

"While we are ambitious, we also know things will take time. Wayne's philosophy from his days at Brisbane and St George Illawarra won't change.

"He will expect everyone to work hard for each other. We have some great individual players but we are a team. Wayne will want everyone believing in themselves. That is Wayne's great strength."

TAB Sportsbet don't rate Newcastle quite as highly, installing the Knights seventh favourites at $11 behind Wests Tigers, premiers Manly, Melbourne, Warriors, Brisbane and Canterbury.

Sportsbet.com.au though like what they see in the Hunter.

"The influence Bennett will have on the team and club, as seen at the Broncos and Dragons, is immeasurable," said Sportsbet.com.au's PR manager Ben Hawes.

"He has proved time and time again that he gets the best out of his players, keeps them focused and his teams always play with confidence.

"Boyd's arrival will free up Kurt Gidley to play at five-eighth alongside Jarrod Mullen and Kade Snowden is one of the NRL's premier props," he said.

"They have one of the best spines in the NRL, the game's best winger in Akuila Uate and, with Wayne Bennett at the helm, it makes for the ideal combination."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6204101513
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

underdog

Post by underdog » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 11:11 am

Ha! Farcical.

No wonder you get condescending ads on TV at the moment such as the Waterhouse kid spruiking the likes of "increasing your Betting IQ" - The average punter to them is such a mug, they are offering to "educate" the masses.... :roll

The Bookies must be pissing themselves laughing if our mob and Newcastle are equal favorites.

Get on the Sharks and the Titans for Darkhorses - they are both good odds even to make the top 8.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 11:31 am

Took Bennett at least a year with a crack squad at St. George to win a premiership, I don't think he'll be able to buy half a new squad and expect them to walk away with the premiership in the first year. They'll definitely make the 8, but I highly doubt they'll get the silverware.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 2:11 pm

I agree CB. Knights should be at short odds to make the 8, but not equal favourites for the premiership
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 2:59 pm

underdog wrote:Ha! Farcical.

No wonder you get condescending ads on TV at the moment such as the Waterhouse kid spruiking the likes of "increasing your Betting IQ" - The average punter to them is such a mug, they are offering to "educate" the masses.... :roll

The Bookies must be pissing themselves laughing if our mob and Newcastle are equal favorites.

Get on the Sharks and the Titans for Darkhorses - they are both good odds even to make the top 8.
I think the Knights will make top 8 Underdog don't get me wrong but will struggle against the heavyweights of the NRL such as Melbourne ,Wests and the like

Costaki

Post by Costaki » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 5:46 pm

Possible Newcastle team

Boyd
Naiqama
Tahu
Sau
Uate
Gidley
Mullen
Snowden
Buderus
Tuamavave
Housten
Taia
Costigan

res
Fa'asoso
Cuthbertson
Edwards
Hilder

Tolar
Mika
Stig

Maybe premiership favourites is a stretch but thats a solid team with arguably the best coach ever. I can see why the bookies would have them up there.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes it's a very good looking team on paper, that's for sure, but premiership favouritism at this stage is a bit rich, I reckon. They are gonna take time to gel together and the inevitible injuries to key players, throughout the year, will test them, also. That said, no one can create a winning culture better than Wayne Bennett - I just think it will take him a bit longer than 1 year.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

black and white tiger

Post by black and white tiger » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 7:11 pm

Good looking team or not, I think this stint at Newcastle is really going to test Bennet.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 7:31 pm

Costaki wrote:Possible Newcastle team

Boyd
Naiqama
Tahu
Sau
Uate
Gidley
Mullen
Snowden
Buderus
Tuamavave
Housten
Taia
Costigan

res
Fa'asoso
Cuthbertson
Edwards
Hilder

Tolar
Mika
Stig

Maybe premiership favourites is a stretch but thats a solid team with arguably the best coach ever. I can see why the bookies would have them up there.
Can't believe you left out Daine Laurie :shock:

Goose

Post by Goose » Thu 24 Nov, 2011 11:31 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:Took Bennett at least a year with a crack squad at St. George to win a premiership, I don't think he'll be able to buy half a new squad and expect them to walk away with the premiership in the first year. They'll definitely make the 8, but I highly doubt they'll get the silverware.
i dont think they are sure things for the 8

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 7:16 am

Any team with Gidley in the halves is not that good.

Posted using RoarFEED

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 7:23 am

Next year we'll see Newcastle become the new Dragons. Solid defence, boring tactics, take the penalty goal at nearly every opportunity..it will be interesting to see how they go, but to put them as favourites is kind of ridiculous, I wouldn't be judging them until about half way through next year..

But then again Wayne Benett did turn a few nuffies & fringe 1st grade players at dragons to become quality players..we'll see

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 7:33 am

Works for me for Newy and any others to be up there as favorites.

Again I see this article a yesterdays edition of "Off Season Fiction"

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 6:33 am

He's a great coach and all, but equal favourites?

Luke

Post by Luke » Sat 05 May, 2012 2:55 pm

Current odds:

Melbourne 3.25
Brisbane 5.00
Manly 8.00
Tigers 11.00
Bulldogs 13.00
Cronulla 13.00
Dragons 13.00
Warriors 15.00
Cowboys 17.00
Newcastle 21.00
Souths 21.00
Roosters 51.00
Canberra 101.00
Eels 151.00
Gold Coast 251.00
Penrith 251.00

Back to fourth favourites after two wins against sides coming 14th and 16th...

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 07 May, 2012 5:56 am

They are kidding themselves, no halfback, the fullback certainly not playing like he did at the back end of last year, Lawrence and Ayshford still trying to get back into the form they were in last year and Lote.....

They must be on something, it made no sense installing us as favourites to begin with, let alone back to fourth now.