Golden Point

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Sunday 4 March 2:00PM
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast:
GNR4LIFE

Re: Golden Point

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 1:45 pm

If your going to have GP, either have it the way it is now or don't have it at all. No need to simplify it by banning field goals. Its rediculous that you can kick as many as you want in 80 mins, but as soon as extra time kicks in they are null and void. Would we also ban penalty goals as well? Also, its rediculous that people think its a good idea to give a team a point for a draw then another for the team who wins GP, or giving a team half a point. Its just complicating things, especially the half a point thing

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 1:55 pm

i don't mind golden point.
and i don't find it boring either.
considering how unpredictable field goal success is.
when they got the ball back my first reaction was we are screwed,but then quickly felt they could still easily miss it.

the point for effort is a bit double edged for me.
when you have a big lead and blow it and then lose in extra time,i don't see how you justify the effort with a point.

i like it the way it is as there is no perfect system.
there is only one sport that i watch that has it perfect,but it wouldn't work in the nrl unfortunately.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 2:30 pm

NZTiger wrote:The NRL's take on Golden Point:

The NRL has received a number of emails and feedback questioning the use of golden point.

We have received a lot of feedback from fans regarding Golden Point extra-time in regular season games. People are suggesting a Golden Try to replace Golden Point in extra-time, and also that both teams need to get awarded points, amongst other things.

The first thing to note about Golden Point is that it is actually a continuation of the existing game. A field goal will determine the outcome of a game immediately before full-time and therefore has to be able to determine the outcome of a game immediately after full-time.One of the fundamental things to remember in all of this is the workload on the players. Player workload is one of the key issues in the game. When the NRL first looked at having an extended time period, the point that was made strongly by people close to clubs and players is that extending the game by five or 10 minutes on a mandatory basis risked too much pressure on the players themselves over a season.

The nature of Golden Point is that it is meant to help produce a result in the shortest possible time frame. By nature, Golden Point games are games in which tries are not going to be easily produced. The concept of not determining the match until a try is scored could mean that a team is ahead on the scoreboard by having kicked a number of penalties or field goals but still loses the game.

The NRL has looked at this issue in consultation with the clubs many times over. It does not favour altering the nature of the game by removing players from the field nor does it favour fixed time periods. The Golden Point period is designed to play the game in the same circumstances as it is being played in previously and in those circumstances, a penalty or field goal immediately before full-time would produce the result.

The issue of creating extra points for drawn matches is one that causes an imbalance in the competition. Every match over the year should be for the same amount of competition points to give every team the same chance of making the finals. As such the idea of each team getting a point for a draw and then the Golden Point winner getting an additional point will unfairly impact on other clubs in the competition.

Also, the fact a match is won in extra time does not make a team more worthy of a competition point than a team who won convincingly in normal time.
If this concept is varied so that all matches are worth three points or four points (as some have suggested) and one of those goes to the defeated team, then it means that the winning side in a Golden Point gets a lesser reward in the competition than the team that wins in normal time. The circumstances that can lead to a match going into extra time are too varied to allow a determination that the winner is either more or less deserving of competition points than other winners in that round.

Ultimately this debate comes down to whether you accept a draw is a preferable result to a period of ‘sudden death’ extra-time.

What is hard to escape is that Golden Point has provided some memorable moments, whether it be Chris Sandow’s drop kick from halfway against the Roosters last season or Darren Lockyer during last year’s Finals Series. Few could forget Wayne Bennett’s reaction when the Broncos defeated Melbourne some years ago.

These are the moments that are more memorable than where two teams walked away on equal points.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-mailbox-golden-p ... fault.aspx
Which imbecile at the NRL wrote this?
How can a field goal determine a game AFTER full time if the game is over?
And ... if you're not more worthy of winning are you less worthy of losing?
Madness!

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 4:08 pm

I wonder what the player really think about this option?

Are they happy for a draw, or are they that driven they want to tough it out and try and get a result? I've seen a few draws and one thing I noted was that after a draw at fulltime, both teams would happily shake hands or sit on the ground with exhaustion thinking "how tough was that game...". Now all I see is one team jumping up and down celebrating, and the other looking at the dirt thinking "how crap this is..."

I still feel the only reason this has been bought into the game is as a result of Sports Betting Agencies wanting a result!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 5:02 pm

happy with the way it is...

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 5:19 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:I wonder what the player really think about this option?

Are they happy for a draw, or are they that driven they want to tough it out and try and get a result? I've seen a few draws and one thing I noted was that after a draw at fulltime, both teams would happily shake hands or sit on the ground with exhaustion thinking "how tough was that game...". Now all I see is one team jumping up and down celebrating, and the other looking at the dirt thinking "how crap this is..."

I still feel the only reason this has been bought into the game is as a result of Sports Betting Agencies wanting a result!!!
I agree.
players give their all and get nothing to show in return if they are on wrong side of golden point.

as for the bettng side of footy, all beting on game should stop a minimum of 2 hours before kick off. no bets during game.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 10:58 pm

Ultimately this debate comes down to whether you accept a draw is a preferable result to a period of ‘sudden death’ extra-time.
And a draw is a preferable result to a period of extra time

What is hard to escape is that Golden Point has provided some memorable moments, whether it be Chris Sandow’s drop kick from halfway against the Roosters last season or Darren Lockyer during last year’s Finals Series. Few could forget Wayne Bennett’s reaction when the Broncos defeated Melbourne some years ago.

These are the moments that are more memorable than where two teams walked away on equal points.
Aren't there similar moments when teams have managed to snatch a draw? Especially against more fancied sides over the years?

Try asking the fans of the losing sides in these games how they felt about golden point at the time.