Venue: Jubilee
Telecast: Ch 9
willow

Farah tackle not worthy of send-off, says Raper Read more:

Post by willow » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 9:14 am

Farah tackle not worthy of send-off, says Raper
Adrian Proszenko
March 18, 2012

REFEREES' co-coach Stuart Raper was adamant officials were right not to send off Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah during Friday night's spiteful encounter at Kogarah.

An impressive St George Illawarra win - and another lacklustre Tigers performance - was overshadowed by a series of controversial tackles.

❏ Farah's dangerous throw on Dragons skipper Ben Hornby;

❏ Tigers back-rower Adam Blair hitting Dragons winger Jason Nightingale with a swinging arm;

❏ Dragons prop Jeremy Latimore hitting Benji Marshall with a shot that left him disoriented. The contact didn't earn a penalty;

❏ Dragons forward Trent Merrin's high shot on Beau Ryan, which also escaped punishment;

❏ Ryan, after pulling off a big hit on Nathan Green, appeared to connect with the Dragon centre's head with a second effort.

Surprisingly, only the Blair incident was placed on report, while there are already calls for Farah to do time for his ugly spear tackle in the fourth minute. While Raper was loath to comment until a full review had taken place, his initial thoughts were that Farah shouldn't have been given his marching orders.

''I personally don't think it's a send-off [offence],'' Raper said yesterday. ''There's no damage done. It's a good old-fashioned tackle that went wrong and you can't do it. But I didn't think it was a send-off.''

After reviewing the second half of the game, referees' co-coach Bill Harrigan said the Green incident should have been penalised.

''The video referee can only intervene if he thinks it's a reportable offence,'' Harrigan explained. ''In looking at that one, he thinks it's not a reportable offence and I agree with that. [But] it should have been a penalty and one of the referees or touch judges should have picked that up.''

Green, who celebrated a new two-year deal with a fine performance in place of injured veteran Matt Cooper, was happy to let the matter rest.

''It was a good hit, he went on with it a bit, but that's football,'' he said.

Asked if the incident should be investigated further, he replied: ''Definitely not, it's all part of the game. He got me with a good one and there's no hard feelings there. I wouldn't want to see [Ryan suspended].''

Given the recent scrutiny on tacklers making contact with the head, it's likely the match review committee will be busy. However, Latimore downplayed his incident with Marshall. Asked if he thought he had a case to answer, he said: ''I don't know, I don't even remember [the hit] to be honest. I'll have to have a look through the week and hopefully nothing comes of it.''

The Tigers began the season as premiership favourites but are fortunate not to be 0-3 after a forgettable start to their season. Their only victory came at the expense of the Sharks, who had a series of refereeing decisions go against them. TAB Sportsbet has responded by relegating the joint-venture club, now paying $11 to win the title, to the fifth line of betting.

The Dragons, meanwhile, were impressive after rebounding from a poor performance without Cooper and fellow international Beau Scott. Brett Morris was particularly strong at fullback, prompting Channel Nine commentator Andrew Johns to declare ''he's found his spot''.

The victory sets up a blockbuster encounter with defending premiers Manly at Jubilee Oval on Saturday night. ''They're the benchmark,'' Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward said. ''The way they played last year in the finals and the team they've got is full of internationals. They're the best team by far.''

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 9:15 am

Didn't look too good to me .i think he'll find himself in trouble..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 9:22 am

So Hollywood can comment that Beau should have been penalised but no mention of the other two high shots.

Typical from that abortion of a human being

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 9:31 am

Yeh I noticed that too eh smeg....nothing like appearing biased even when youre not "trying"

They'll find Latimore and Merrin have nothing to answer, both players falling, they'll say penalty sufficient, if only they were awarded.
Anyyway we got no benefit at the time, nothing they do benefits us from hereon in either....just another crap system in the NRL

Cynicism rears its ugly head whenever we arnt travelling well

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 9:58 am

I like to think than I am a cynical, depressive sod whether we win or lose :)

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 10:30 am

Yes interesting that Blairs tackle is put on report but the others didnt .
The NRL have two sets of rules,if you have any priors .

clay

Post by clay » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 2:16 pm

ryan tackle a penalty? has anyone heard of a bloke called chris sandow? any big shot he puts on is quickly followed up with a carbon copy of ryans tackle... and everyone loves it and thinks its great cause he is a little bloke.. what a load of B.S once again we have a season dominated by these clowns in pink :brick:

:sign:

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 2:20 pm

I can't beleive the lack of talk about the Merrin and Latimore swinging arms. If they don't get charged then I have lost all faith in the judiciary and refs.

Imo both swinging arms were worse (had more intent) then either Blairs or even Pritchards shoulder on Simmons last week. The Dragons pair both had their fist clenched when coming in with a swinging arm. I thought that was the tell tale sign of a blatant intentional swinging arm. You dont tackle with your fists clenched.

That said, Beaus fist was clenched also, but he hardly made contact, but again, closed fist proves intention I thought.

Farahs looked alot worse then it was, but he will get charged which is unfortunate but acceptable.

Blair imo had nothing in it. I think Nightingale stayed down for the penalty. But with Pritchards charge and Manu Vatavies clearance, who knows how they'll see this one.

My bet, Farah and Beau won't get charged which will lessen the blow when neither Dragons player is charged.
Finally what about the lack of penalties after Dragons lost balls. Nearly every time they lost it their was a scuffle and no penalty. I think they awarded a scrum when it should have been play on and then a penalty to Dragons for offside (about 4 at marker). It was bordering on different rules for different teams and whilst I don't think any ref is a cheat, Suttor was clearly influenced by the Kogarah crowd. Ithink the penalty count finished 9-3 to the Dragons.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 2:27 pm

Farah charged. Two week ban with early guilty plea.

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 3:16 pm

Latimore not cited at all.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 4:12 pm

Cynicism justified

saundo55

Post by saundo55 » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 4:22 pm

Just saw the seaons biggest joke - Farah will get a minimum 2 weeks ( probably deserved1) for his tackle that caused no injury while the grubs from St Turds will get off with a guilty plea after knocking Marshall to the s*** and nothing for vicious blow to Ryan's biggest asset - refereeing and judiciary jokes are full steam ahead

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 4:23 pm

Latimore was the worst, others were just clumsy and while should be punished deserve lesser punishments. Latimore was a deliberate closed fist swinging arm to the head of an opposition playmaker.

If we don't clamp down on it now what will prevent someone doing so in a grandfinal to the oppositions key player?

clay

Post by clay » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 5:07 pm

rewind to last years grand final demonborger. mr obesity elbows the warriors hooker with closed fist and a truck load of intent and our mates in the pink shirts did not have the balls to do anything but a penalty for a clear send off offence. so dont be suprised when it happens again and again

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 6:45 am

It's a joke how Latimore and Merrin weren't cited, complete garbage.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:00 am

Latimore was cited, but can escape suspension with early guilty plea.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:31 pm

I would expect Adam Blair has just pencilled the return clash between the Tigers & Dragons into his diary.. Is Blair the only one that looks for the 'get square'?

Maybe we do need Big Willie...