Penalty against Ashyford

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Friday 16 March 7:30PM
Venue: Jubilee
Telecast: Ch 9
sunshine coast tiger

Penalty against Ashyford

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 4:47 pm

I have watched rugby league for many years but I for one can't see why playing the ball facing dianglely is a penalty. I know it is in the rule book but what advantage is gained by doing it. It for me is like the corner post rule something that has been a rule for a while but doesn't really make sense. For mine they should get rid of the rule and let play continue.

It was a bad penalty against us and I noticed in the game a Dragons player steped sideways away from the marker to play the pall in an incorrect position. For mine that was far more deserving of a penalty.

russelldp

Post by russelldp » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 6:12 pm

I will admit to cursing that penalty as well. It appreared very random- although, I wouldn't be surprised if Ayshford had been mentioned at a ref's meeting as one to watch in this area.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

alex

Post by alex » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 6:49 pm

I believe the rule stems from the time when the markers were allowed to make a play for the ball? In that sense, it did give the player an advantage as the marker was blocked. But like most things in league, they don't move with the times.

To me, playing it facing the sideline is as bad as dropping it when playing it and should be an infringement, but facing 45degrees is hardly changing the game as you said.

Should be looked at

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 7:22 pm

Dummy half might get an advantage if the markers were directly square, playing it diagonally means the marks have to split and commit a foul

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 8:02 pm

innsaneink wrote:Dummy half might get an advantage if the markers were directly square, playing it diagonally means the marks have to split and commit a foul
I can see your point but the refs could apply common sense in that regard as well. I know I am asking a lot. :D

For mine let it go and get on with the game.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 8:05 pm

innsaneink wrote:Dummy half might get an advantage if the markers were directly square, playing it diagonally means the marks have to split and commit a foul
definately the case, after the penalty i counted about 4 in the next 5 minutes that were near identical...crazy penalty.
we had a rough night with the men in pink

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 10:20 pm

Having the rule in place as it is is fine, but the call against ayshford very harsh, have seen much worse let go, have seen many examples over the weekend of ppl even less square get away with it! Bad call ref, it wasn't very bad at all, not even 45deg off centre, was tiny

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:35 am

I don't like bagging the refs, and they've already gifted us one game this year, but jeez they were pretty bad in this match.

Penalty count 9-3? At least give us the penalties when our players get deliberately smacked in the head.

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:42 pm

the sharks got a few calls go their way to dont worry....it was a nit picking penalty i have seen worse then his and they let it go....the consistency of the rules by refs is becoming frustrating